#1 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

Sadly, we are going to archive our 10-year old cache, Near the Dead.      :

A local cacher was recently hassled by the DPS at that location.  (The DPS office has recently moved right across from the cache location)

I'm not bashing the DPS, but I think that the officer involved was a little out of line for the situation

So others don't have to experience this problem, we're gonna remove it in the near future.

Posted Image

#2 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:36 AM

I wouldn't do it.  Dang it.  That is public property.  I would submit a formal complaint to DPS.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 07 February 2014 - 08:40 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#3 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

I saw your note on this one.  Too bad you are archiving it.  No way to move it?  I know the name is tied to the locale. 

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

I think there is a DPS testing area near your kayak cache. :stirpot:

Edited by SockPuppet, 07 February 2014 - 09:27 AM.

Posted Image

#5 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

Educate DPS instead.

• KeyResults and green-eyed like this
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

There must be a DPS geocacher somewhere...

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#7 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

I am the dingleberry that got harassed for not being very stealthy yesterday.  I didn't know I needed to be stealthy so I just pulled the geovan up to GZ and started hunting.  I think maybe if I had parked somewhere else and walked in it might have gone better.  From what I could figure out Drivers Ed kids were getting ready to take their tests and they use that spot for parallel parking and I was smack dab in the middle of their course.  I don't remember very well but I think they only do driving tests certain times of the day - maybe just find those out and note them on the cache page?  Like when we say a park is closed during certain hours?  Or maybe move it up the road just a bit where it isn't right at their back door? 

I am sorry to say I didn't try to educate the DPS guy.  He was not ready to talk about anything and just made me want to run.  My one bit of rebellion was to ask where the sign was to tell me it was a restricted area and that just made him even madder.  But the truth is it isn't marked in any way.

Thanks for the excitement!   I also have to say what a great visit I had getting my license renewed at the DMV before all the fun started.  It was quick!!  Well worth the drive, thanks for the tip Kirbydox! 

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

#8 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

I saw your note on this one.  Too bad you are archiving it.  No way to move it?  I know the name is tied to the locale. 

I suppose I could move it to the cemetery, to keep the name intact.

The current location is no longer good.  Moving west on the same street will take away from the name effect.

Thanks for all those that visited the cache.

Posted Image

#9 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

Rice street is a public street.  I don't care if the DPS decides that's where they want to do their driving tests.  Driving tests are done on public road systems and not private systems and they have no rights to tell anyone to get off the street as indicated in the cache log.

I'd not pull the cache.   

In stead I would file a complaint about with the police department about security guards at the DPS harassing people for using the public street.

• Baytown Bert likes this

Posted Image Posted Image

#10 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

Stupid question - but why do the police use security guards? 

Posted Image

#11 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

It's a DPS office (i.e. drivers license shop) not a police department.

#12 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

But they have DPS officers there.  At the DPS office.  You know.  With guns.  a/k/a police. 

My DPS driving officer had a gun.  I asked why she felt she needed it.  She said its use depended upon how I drove.

• Mr Muddy Buddy, TexasWriter and green-eyed like this
Posted Image

#13 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

This is the kind of thing, in my opinion, that an organized advocacy group could and should really help assisting the Geocaching community. In amateur radio, it's the ARRL, for example. For Radio Control Aircraft it's the AMA, etc.

If not Groundspeak, then perhaps a TXGA-like organization, that takes on the communication role when dealing with agencies that have uninformed employees. IT seems to me the armed, badge wearing type agencies (among others) have members that are quick to err on the heavy-handed side of things they don't understand. They often fallback on using intimidation, if not inconvenience, tactics and wielding authority or rights that simply aren't theirs. But, most of us aren't generally prepared to challenge this on an ad hoc basis. 

Face it, when a cop is tailgating you on the freeway, no matter how fast you're going, most will move over ASAP. When an agitated officer tells you to scram, most sober people oblige with little push back. Most of us cannot afford to miss after school pick-ups, or other work / personal commitments trying to offer some officer education that leads to a few hours in the penalty box  or the hoosegow! You may have been right, but that's small consolation for most, I suspect.

It's easy to say "go educate them" but IMHO this is bigger than asking a property owner if we can hide a log on their property. It's too bad we don't have an organization that is setup with expertise to deal with this kind of thing as a large part of their charter. A kind of geoCacher's Rights advocacy group. Maybe someday.

• amberita13 likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#14 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

I have worked in security for the past nine years. Have been trained NOT to scream or be rude to anyone on the job. That officer was unprofessional to say the least. Good luck getting any kind of positive reaction from the DPS!

#15 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

9f0f0b08-a25a-4a84-baea-4212704b2c0b.jpg

Posted Image

#16 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

I did a google street view and that part of S. Rice is not visible so maybe it is restricted. If so they should just put a gate to prevent entry and mark it restricted. I blame Kmart. If they were a profitable company they would still be there and No the Texas Dept of Public Safety.

Posted Image

#17 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

Oh man, if it's public property, don't archive the cache.  It's an oldie and there aren't many of those around town.

Besides, I don't have it!  

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#18 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

I did a google street view and that part of S. Rice is not visible so maybe it is restricted. If so they should just put a gate to prevent entry and mark it restricted. I blame Kmart. If they were a profitable company they would still be there and No the Texas Dept of Public Safety.

I grabbed it a year or so ago, and it wasn't restricted at that time, and I don't see why it would be restricted now.  Just because it didn't effectively go anywhere and was seldom used, doesn't make it no longer a public access road.

#19 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

I would guess the DPS is overstepping their bounds. But who want's to get on their list?

Posted Image

#20 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

My two cents are that you shouldn't archive it after just one encounter.  If the next five cachers get harassed, that is a different matter.  As people have said, it would be a shame to lose a 10-year old cache that otherwise is still working perfectly well. 

• cachestacker and rozowski5 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users