#1 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

The other day I complained that my Oregon 650 had dropped geocaches at random.  I thought it might have been because I unplugged it while it was still on, but this is not the case.  It is still dropping caches and at random.  In the Garmin GGZ and GPX folders, I've deleted the data on my PC, then set GSAK to clear the data and checked both, rebooting and its clean.  I then have tried loading everything out to 40 miles and it drops caches at random.  I cleared it again and loaded one cache in GSAK, transferred it, rebooted and it wasn't there.  Ideas?

BTW, my Oregon 550 performs flawlessly with the GSAK settings, picking up every cache.

TXGA SETX Representative

#2 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

Did you check the filter window in the geocaches tab?  It's very easy to unintentionally slide the D or T on boom it filters a bunch of them out.  

It's a great feature but can give you a WTF momement when you simply touched the screen and didn't realize that it slide the D or T bar over.  I've done it a couple times on my Oregon 600.

Edited by TAZ427, 04 February 2014 - 09:17 AM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

I don't believe so.  It loads all the caches into my 550, but not my 650.

TXGA SETX Representative

#4 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

I don't believe so.  It loads all the caches into my 550, but not my 650.

You said, it's dropping random caches right, not random files?  That means you're getting some of the caches out of a .gpx or .ggz file right?  The only thing that explains that is the filter, which isn't the same on the 500 series as the 600 series.  It's very easy to unintentionally set the filters on the 600 series, while the quick filter menu it's hard to do on the earlier Oregons especially the D and T settings.

Filter.jpg

Edited by TAZ427, 04 February 2014 - 11:44 AM.

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

Dang it man, that was it!!!  Thank you! :fist-pump:

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

No problem, glad it was only that, and not something else.

• Baytown Bert likes this

#7 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

Well done guys!
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#8 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:28 AM

There an operating system interface leap going from the 450-550's to this unit.  I would rather do my filtering in GSAK than having it accidentally get changed in the unit.

TXGA SETX Representative

#9 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

It can be handy to have some filtering being there while out on the road.  I've used it for locating Events for example while at Geowoodstock last year.  I just wish it wasn't so easy to accidentally change the filtering for the D/T portion, it's really easy to do if you go into the filter window and brush the screen unlike the UI from the 400/500 series.  

I'll take this bad with the vast amount of improvements that the new UI brings.  

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

I wonder if Garmin can engineer a lock for this function.

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

Really?  Garmin can't even engineer have 10k geocaches on all GPS models.  Or unlimited (limited only by memory).

Posted Image

#12 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

Well, they are busy and every thing...  :angel:

TXGA SETX Representative

#13 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

I wonder if Garmin can engineer a lock for this function.

They can name it the "Fat Finger Lock" :)
Posted Image

#14 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

I do wish Garmin would add the ggz ability to the Montana series (yeah a pipe dream I suspect). Then I could fat finger on a larger screen.

Posted Image

#15 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

I did not use a fat finger.  I was licking my new gadget.  :angel:

TXGA SETX Representative

#16 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:43 PM

Using Garmin Express I ran a firmware update on my 650 this morning and it lost the satellites, then placed me .25 miles of coords.  Version 4.2 to be specific.  I called Garmin and "Jessica" is sending instructions to use Web Updater and Master Reset if that fails.  Crap!

Edited by Baytown Bert, 07 October 2014 - 12:43 PM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#17 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:59 PM

Dear Bert Marshall,

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

To reinstall the same version of software for your device, we need to download WebUpdater. To do so, go to this link please:  http://www8.garmin.c...ct=999-99999-27

Choose the option for your operating system (Windows or Mac) and click download.
Go ahead and plug in your unit to the computer.
Once installed, the WebUpdater program should run automatically and recognize your device. As soon as that happens, click Next. It may take a moment to bring up the next page. Since you are already up to date on the software for your device, we want to select the option for Reinstall the same version and click Next.
The next page will advise of the update you already have, you may have to select Next a few times before you reach the Software License Agreement. You will have to click on the box next to "I agree to the above terms" and then select next. 
Note that you won't be able to cancel the update once it starts. 

Once this is done, safely eject the unit from your computer, unplug and then test the unit out. For the user location accuracy issue you were experiencing, you will want to get outside with a clear view of the sky and see if the issue is still occuring.

If it is, we will want to master reset the unit. If you haven't already, I would suggest backing up your user data (waypoints, geocaches, routes & tracks) first so you can reload that when the reset is complete. To backup your information, the easiest way is to use Basecamp.

To download our free mapping tool, Basecamp, go to this link: http://www8.garmin.c...t/mappingsw.jsp

Choose the Basecamp option for your type of computer. (Mac or Windows, the first/top option listed is for Windows)
Click the blue download box.
Once the program is finished downloading, it should launch automatically. It may ask a few questions about your activity, etc., you can skip that.
Plug your unit into your computer. It may take a moment for Basecamp to recognize the unit. Once it's showing on the left hand column as a device, click the Device option at the top toolbar.
Select Receive from Your Device, it may take a moment for it to transfer your data. There will be a green checkmark next to your devices internal storage folder in the left hand column once the transfer is complete.

To perform the master reset:

1. If needed, power the device off
  2. Press and hold User key
  3. Press and hold Power key (while continuing to hold User key)
  4. When device powers on, release Power key
  5. When the message Do you really want to erase all user data? appears, release User key
  6. Touch 'Erase'
  7. The Oregon is now reset. It may be necessary to leave the device outside with a clear view of the sky for 20 minutes to acquire satellite data.

I would again, test out the device to see if this helped at all. If not, the unit will have to come in for repair/exchange. Please call us to set up a RMA if this is the case. Let us know if you have any questions or get stuck at any part of the steps in this email.

With Best Regards,

Jessica 8996245

Customer Care - Outdoor Team

TXGA SETX Representative

#18 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

You could also downgrade back to a previous sw version. I had to do this on my 450 because the later updates caused more trouble than they fixed.
Posted Image

#19 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:11 PM

I used the web updater with no positive change; then on a fluke, I swapped out my enelope batteries for a new set and...   WTH?  It started working again!  I'll have to test it in the field though, but maybe I have a bad cell there.

TXGA SETX Representative

#20 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:41 PM

Must've been the one's you got from me...

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users