#1 FamilieRyan

FamilieRyan

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationN29 43.150, w095 45.800

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

http://www.geocachin...48-ead69683351b

Warning - I would not recommend chasing this cache while the gun range is open. I was hiking along the trail and was about 400 feet from the cache when I heard a zip and then a crash in the woods in front of me. I wasn't sure that it was a bullet until I heard another pop from the range and then another zip and crash into the woods. I immediately turned around and heard round number three hit. It turns out a rifle round makes a pretty distinctive whizzing zipping noise when it goes by you. Most likely some sort of deflection from the rifle range, but nonetheless a bit unsettling! I thought all I had to worry about in the park was feral hogs, bobcats, snakes, and critters!

I have hiked along this trail a few times and never had any issues, but I wouldn't hike beyond the short part of the gun range (after the 50 yd range.  I would say the probabilities of any issues is low, but I know I would rather be safe than sorry!

#2 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

Yeah, pistol ranges (distances) can sometimes be a problem as people buying huge pistols (for their skill level) and not in a position to handle them can shoot over the berms or skim the tops.

That range has had it share of issues during its lifetime as well. I dont think it was the brightest idea to put a gun range in a park with so many people all over the place.

Greats heads up!!!

Posted Image

#3 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

Whoa! That's scary.... Glad to hear you're safe and thanks for the heads-up.
  • ATMA likes this

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#4 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

Glad you're okay, Larry

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#5 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:31 PM

Yikes!  Glad you're ok and thanks for the heads up.

#6 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

It's been a while since I was out at that range (probably 5yrs or so.)  From what I recall they berms were of a decent height, but there are 400 yard plus ranges on the right side. A bit too much elevation on a rifle can go over the berm easily, but I'd say you'd still have to be totally incompetent if you're firing over the top of the berm and you shouldn't be firing on the real long distance ranges if you can't hit a target in the first place.  

That said, event totally incompetent individuals are allowed access to the firing range.  Believe me, I've seen some of them.  They are usually ejected from the range fairly quickly to avoid situations like this.

Glad you came out of it unharmed and I'll keep this in mind.

Posted Image Posted Image

#7 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

<<quip removed. serious topic.>>

Edited by TravelingGeek, 02 February 2014 - 12:14 AM.

Posted Image

#8 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

That cache is about 1/2 mile north of the range, in the deep woods (along a trail, I think)

I suspect that those bullets were coming from a high angle shot (someone firing up into the air)

Posted Image

#9 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

Did your report that to the range?  I would think they would want  to know.

Posted Image

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:05 AM

LOL As a long time shooter (which means its been a long time since I shot) I can tell you gun ranges have holes in the roof, in the sign 10 feet in front of the bench, behind the bench, sometimes the table, and every place a bullet can go. I taught Texas Hunter Education for five years to qualify my assessment. Any gun range that doesn't have a hyper observant range master is a place to avoid.

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

I remember walking my bike - flat tire! - along the back fence with warning signs on the chain link. The range was hot and I could definitely hear something bigger than average every once in a while (Mustard Devil?). I was quite uncomfortable and looked for a path away from fence. The irony of that moment was that a decent 8-point Buck, the only Buck I've ever seen in GBP, was eating grass along the base of that same chain fence and completely ignoring the shooting nearby. One of those unforgettable GBP days. Thanks for heads-up Larry.

Edited by KeyResults, 02 February 2014 - 08:06 AM.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#12 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

I just received this log on my cache A Howling Good Time:

"Walked out to this one but, there is a new sign stating that rhw area is restricted.

So much for that."

Does anyone know anything about new restrictions on trails north of the shooting range? It is just west of the cache where FamilieRyan had his whizzing bullet occurence.

#13 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

I remember walking my bike - flat tire! - along the back fence with warning signs on the chain link. The range was hot and I could definitely hear something bigger than average every once in a while (Mustard Devil?). I was quite uncomfortable and looked for a path away from fence. The irony of that moment was that a decent 8-point Buck, the only Buck I've ever seen in GBP, was eating grass along the base of that same chain fence and completely ignoring the shooting nearby. One of those unforgettable GBP days. Thanks for heads-up Larry.

This is from personal experience...If those rounds are landing that far beyond the berms then some idiot is using too much elevation on their shots. Even my buffalo rifle....45-70... doesnt require as much elevation as some people think.

Edited by Mustard Devil, 27 April 2014 - 04:11 PM.

#14 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

"Walked out to this one but, there is a new sign stating that rhw area is restricted.

So much for that."

Does anyone know anything about new restrictions on trails north of the shooting range? It is just west of the cache where FamilieRyan had his whizzing bullet occurence.

I've sent emails to Precinct 3 and the Corp of Engineers.  

The sign you posted is about 30 feet east of GBP Soda Tube #2.  

I've disabled GBP Soda Tube #1, since it is further east and in the restricted zone.

There is another sign just northeast of Noble Road Trail - First Turn, but nothing further north.

Edited by Mr Muddy Buddy, 01 May 2014 - 06:20 AM.

• Kirbydox likes this
Posted Image

#15 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

There's also a part of the Element series that takes you near a gun range... over by Eldridge. We heard the bullets whizzing by at one point too... we found that cache QUICKLY. lol

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#16 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

There's also a part of the Element series that takes you near a gun range... over by Eldridge. We heard the bullets whizzing by at one point too... we found that cache QUICKLY. lol

That's the Bayou Rifles range off of Eldridge (I used to be a member).  The orientation of the range and direction of fire is south to north, away from the Element series so it's unlikely that whatever you heard were stray rounds from that source.

• amberita13 likes this

#17 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

I had a friend that belonged to the private range on Eldridge. There is no one monitoring what goes on back there. As for the GBP  someone could call the range to discuss the safety problem. If no response then call one of the local news stations probably would get some action.

Posted Image

#18 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:02 AM

That's the Bayou Rifles range off of Eldridge (I used to be a member).  The orientation of the range and direction of fire is south to north, away from the Element series so it's unlikely that whatever you heard were stray rounds from that source.

Perhaps, but then I have to entertain the thought that the whizzing sounds I heard through the trees were mosquitoes on steroids or something and I'd just rather believe someone was being an ass and shooting in the wrong direction. ;-)

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#19 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:07 AM

At any gunrange in the country bullets are launched in every direction.  MD and I had a discussion about this the other day concerning the shooting events.  Any gunrange without a rabid Range Officer is unsafer than is acceptable to me.  I say cache on and take your chances.  Get in, get out, but alerting the media could open a bad case of worms.  YMMV

• Mustard Devil, cachestacker, amberita13 and 1 other like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#20 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:15 PM

So much for that."

I've sent emails to Precinct 3 and the Corp of Engineers.  

The sign you posted is about 30 feet east of GBP Soda Tube #2.  

I've disabled GBP Soda Tube #1, since it is further east and in the restricted zone.

There is another sign just northeast of Noble Road Trail - First Turn, but nothing further north.

I heard from Precinct 3.  The area will be used for some of the new hog traps that cover several acres.

Their intention was to restrict the human, dog and horse scents, so the hogs would more likely frequent the area versus an area with strong human scents.

The area is essentially along that road from GBP Soda Tube #2  past A Howling Good time, all the way to the power line right of way.  

I think this is long term, so I would suggest archiving those caches.  

They will post more signs soon on the power line right of way to show the restricted area.  

The Noble Road trail is okay, and the road just north of the shooting range is okay (other than stray bullets), and the power line right of way is okay.

Given all of this info, I think the TEXAS series is not inside the restricted areas. 

Edited by Mr Muddy Buddy, 01 May 2014 - 09:43 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users