26 replies to this topic

#1 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

It seems we swim in a sea of highly unsatisfying logs these days, "TFTC!" being the champion of boring.

Every once in a while, someone drops a really good one on you, and cancels out a hundred TFTC entries.

This shout out goes to Backwards Charlie from Austin who found one of our less interesting hides on the BFF LTB series. Here is a fellow who is nearing 20K finds, who has many counties and countries, challenges, etc., and yet takes the time to write a http://coord.info/GLD8ANWGvery thoughtful log about his experience on our 'everyday' hide. Hats off to Backwards Charlie from Austin. Thank you.
  • 2katz likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#2 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

We could definitely use more logs like that.... TFTC and 'Found it!' Just don't cut it with me....
  • 2katz likes this

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,810 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

Not to take anything away, but the first paragraph is unique to the cache and the last three are from a GSAK template.  At least he changed it up a bit from his 2013 template!

• green-eyed and amberita13 like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

Yeah.  His logs are nearly all the same for any given run.  But it is better than TFTC.  Found.  Thanks.  And a multitude of others that are four words or less and say nothing.

Posted Image

#5 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

The previous cache log

http://www.geocachin...c3-eee3adbb948d

Posted Image

#6 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

Boy, tough crowd.

I saw the GSAK in the log too. If you're gonna template a road trip, this is a pretty fair example of how it's done. 

• Dhaulaghiri likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#7 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,810 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:16 AM

Sometimes all the "fluff" makes it tough, if you're perusing previous logs on your GPSr in the field, scrolling and scrolling to get to something pertinent about the cache.  But then again, logs are written more for the CO than for the next cacher.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#8 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:21 AM

Yeesh, all the TFTC haters! I like a good log myself and when I have something to say I'll take the time to go back once I get home, edit the entry, and type out a note. I like getting good notes on my few hides so I try to return the favor. However, on a series such as the Element series, I generally will leave notes on particularly hard grabs, or a note on the beginning or end that sums up the cache run but don't have much patience to type up a different note on every soda tube I find that day. I see some people copy and paste the same note for all of a series and I'm not sure how that differs from the "Found it" or "TFTC" other than word count.

I guess I'm not very creative! LOL

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#9 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

I agree Kenny it is much better than a TFTC. 

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:28 AM

I've never minded a cut and paste that actually tells of the experience for the series as a whole.  I don't expect that on CLAPS caches.  But some definitely stand out and are memorable even without having to take notes / field notes / writing something down.  And I don't mind if details of that are all mixed in with the log for the whole paddle excursion and cut and pasted. 

Anything beats "TFTC" or "out grabbing elements today" or "out caching with X, Y, and Z" alone.  Tell me something.  Tell me at least a little about your experience.

For cut and paste logs, though, I like when anything cache-specific is at the top so you can see it right off, such as maintenance needs, problems, etc.  Sometimes it's all run together at the end and it makes it more difficult to sift through various logs to see if there is anything you need to see as a CO.

Field notes are great for making notes of cache specific things -- or things seen that were interesting while AT a cache, such as a wildlife encounter.

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

#11 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

To each their own I suppose! I'm always aware that the CO will get the log via email so I usually attempt to say something, even if it's just a short sentence. But if I'm sweating bullets, bleeding from eighteen different scratches, hungry, thirsty and tired and I've just signed my 18th soda tube... well, sometimes TFTC is all I can manage.

I recall a particularly tough Monoopoly series cache that had thorns from hell. I did the hated "TFTC" but added "SL in my own blood". I like to make the CO smile if at all possible.

#12 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,156 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

Yeah!  We get TFTC logs on the TEXAS "S" quite often.  Come on, peeps!?!

It's a 3/4 mile hike just to get to the first cache, and then you must navigate through ferocious thorns, to find some camo'ed soda tubes.

It makes me wonder if they really went out there at all....

Posted Image

#13 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:59 AM

Yeah!  We get TFTC logs on the TEXAS "S" quite often.  Come on, peeps!?!

It's a 3/4 mile hike just to get to the first cache, and then you must navigate through ferocious thorns, to find some camo'ed soda tubes.

It makes me wonder if they really went out there at all....

Ha! They are probably losing blood by the gallons and that's all they can manage before they bleed out. ;-)

EDIT: LOL I had to go back now and see what logs I left for the "T" in the TEXAS series... a few TFTC but I left a few good notes. Ahh the memories!

Edited by Jhawk!, 31 January 2014 - 09:03 AM.

#14 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

I've never minded a cut and paste that actually tells of the experience for the series as a whole.  I don't expect that on CLAPS caches.  But some definitely stand out and are memorable even without having to take notes / field notes / writing something down.  And I don't mind if details of that are all mixed in with the log for the whole paddle excursion and cut and pasted. 

Anything beats "TFTC" or "out grabbing elements today" or "out caching with X, Y, and Z" alone.  Tell me something.  Tell me at least a little about your experience.

For cut and paste logs, though, I like when anything cache-specific is at the top so you can see it right off, such as maintenance needs, problems, etc.  Sometimes it's all run together at the end and it makes it more difficult to sift through various logs to see if there is anything you need to see as a CO.

Field notes are great for making notes of cache specific things -- or things seen that were interesting while AT a cache, such as a wildlife encounter.

So very true!    That's how I work also - for the most part.   When logging, if there is something unique about the cache itself, the grab... I include at the beginning, then follow up with the who I was with, the days activities and so on (the template piece).   

When I went on my two week caching excursion last August, each day or every couple of days, I added to the previous days accounts. By the end, the last caches spoke of the entire trip.   Not sure if the CO's liked it or not, but I thought it made decent reading. 

Posted Image

#15 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:12 AM

Lets not forget, if a newbie is logging, chances are, they simply don't know any better.  I surely didn't until I spoke with a few folks and learned just a little bit more about the game.

• Baytown Bert and Jhawk! like this
Posted Image

#16 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

Lets not forget, if a newbie is logging, chances are, they simply don't know any better.  I surely didn't until I spoke with a few folks and learned just a little bit more about the game.

And you learn to log better once you are a CO, seeing what you like and don't like, too. 

As far as the TFTCs being logged from the field -- you CAN log at home.  During a 'recovery period'.  Again - Field Notes are your friend.  Very easy on most of the phone apps and more tedious from a GPS but usually all you need is a few key words to remember what you want.

• Baytown Bert and Dhaulaghiri like this
Posted Image

#17 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

Or a photograph, see?  I can look at this photograph and remember everything about the cache like I was standing there.

f69e70ab-c9b0-4915-b234-e204a5181014.jpg

• Jhawk! likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#18 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

:2funny: In the event of a loss of words, just scare the CO with a pic. ;-)

#19 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

Or a photograph, see?  I can look at this photograph and remember everything about the cache like I was standing there.

f69e70ab-c9b0-4915-b234-e204a5181014.jpg

PRICELESS  :uglystupid2:

Yeah, I think most of us have been guilty of doing the 'TFTC!' at least in our early days of caching.  I actually went back and edited some of the logs of the better finds of some of my early caches, and even an LPC in a Walmart parking let gets at least a sentence or two now a days.

As for the use of a script, I've done that, especially on road trips where time is at a premium.  I want to make the cache owner feel that I appreciate their cache hides.

• Baytown Bert likes this

Posted Image Posted Image

#20 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

TFTC

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users