Photo

CLAPS 2014 Spring Paddle CITO (Sun. 4/27)

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#41 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

Back on topic -- now's a great time to get your kayak reservations in.  Pinkys was nearly reseved out with the good weather this weekend.  I'm sure the other rental places were too. While we were at Boondoggles post-paddle, I saw Pinkys make 4 runs loaded with yaks.

Posted Image

#42 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

We were talking about kayaking? Oh... :)

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#43 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

I wanna know what Kevin said to the one gator pictured above that is smirking/smiling? WTH? ;)

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#44 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

I will be there (in my underwear!)  :angel:

TXGA SETX Representative

#45 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

I wanna know what Kevin said to the one gator pictured above that is smirking/smiling? WTH? ;)

I had a non-scouting event that just happened to have a several cub scouts on their last day of cub-scouting (Arrow of Light ceremony was that evening) and a bunch of parents.  (Too many rules for a scouting paddle event.)  Most had never done anything like this.  We paddled up to N CLAPS #9 and u-turned.  About 4.8 miles round trip.  Perfect day.

That gator started smirking when one of the moms on a tandem with her son started paddling closer and closer to it.  At some point about 20' from it the kid starts paddling backwards.  "Mom. Mom.  MOOOOM."   Snap snap snap goes the camera.  She picks the up the paddle after a few shots and starts paddling again!  He yells "Jesus Christ Mom, if you keep paddling I'm jumping into the freakin' water."

Everyone laughed.  And the gator cracked a smile.  And she finally got the point that he was several feet closer to it than she was - and easier to eat.

I had to tell him "Um, I don't think that's your best option at this point."

Good times.

• KeyResults, Dhaulaghiri and green-eyed like this
Posted Image

#46 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

I had heard they called tandems "divorce boats" but thought that only applied to Kevin and KD

I have a tandem Ocean Kayak Malibu like Pinky rents. Thacatfish, Amberita and a probably dried out by now Hans have first dibs. ZHR has priority too, but he is still soggier than Hans. Let me know, saving a rental doing a CITO event and finding caches while out on the water with friends? Ask Bert and Emily, it doesn't get better than that!

Attached Files

Edited by bbqbob2, 01 April 2014 - 02:49 PM.

• cachestacker, KeyResults and Jhawk! like this

#47 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

Divorce boats. LOL That's funny since recently I was on Vieques Island of Puerto Rico and we did the Bioluminescent Bay tour in a double kayak... it was all I could do not to throw my better half overboard. ;)

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#48 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

I've never had any problems letting Donna paddle.

• JuleeD likes this
Posted Image

#49 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

Divorce boats. LOL That's funny since recently I was on Vieques Island of Puerto Rico and we did the Bioluminescent Bay tour in a double kayak... it was all I could do not to throw my better half overboard. ;)

With over 30 years of canoeing and kayaking experience with Kathy, I've learned that she is always right!   :smitten:

Maybe that's we we keep going  in circles....

• cachestacker, amberita13 and Jhawk! like this
Posted Image

#50 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

I had heard they called tandems "divorce boats" but thought that only applied to Kevin and KD

I have a tandem Ocean Kayak Malibu like Pinky rents. Thacatfish, Amberita and a probably dried out by now Hans have first dibs. ZHR has priority too, but he is still soggier than Hans. Let me know, saving a rental doing a CITO event and finding caches while out on the water with friends? Ask Bert and Emily, it doesn't get better than that!

Yup, that's what we called them when I was working with a Kayaking outfit back in Belgium.

We also soothed angry clients who had a leaky boat by telling them they got the special model..... with water cooling  :uglystupid2: !!!

Thanks Bob, that's very generous of you (again!) but I've still got a 'free-rent-a-kayak' stub in my wallet for Pinky's, so if me & the wife end up going we'll probably use that so someone else can use the open space.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#51 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

Ill probably be in on that bob
  • mztrob likes this

#52 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

Sounds good, Jason. Remind me a week before and we'll get you set-up. Most of the holes from Brian and Hans's aquatic adventure have been sealed, so you may ride a little higher as a solo
  • Dhaulaghiri likes this

#53 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

With over 30 years of canoeing and kayaking experience with Kathy, I've learned that she is always right!   :smitten:

Maybe that's we we keep going  in circles....

It's not only in a kayak or canoe... :angel:

Posted Image

#54 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:39 AM

Sounds like the years of training are starting to pay off, Kathy. After 28 yrs Pat has finally gotten me past the "put the seat down " phase but I'm pretty much untrainable
  • Jhawk! likes this

#55 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

Don't forget to check your status on the CLAPS Challenge.  I'll bring tags with me if anyone is finishing on this run.

http://coord.info/GC2ANX3

Posted Image

#56 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:18 AM

does anyone with a tandem have a spot open for a skinny redhead?  i'm just throwing this out there because i'm pretty sure I could have a paddling partner if I could rent a tandem for myself and the stronger good-armed person, but PD02 will be home with me that weekend and i'd like to get him on the water too. 

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#57 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

does anyone with a tandem have a spot open for a skinny redhead?  i'm just throwing this out there because i'm pretty sure I could have a paddling partner if I could rent a tandem for myself and the stronger good-armed person, but PD02 will be home with me that weekend and i'd like to get him on the water too. 

Let's talk about this!  Our family calender is open that morning (we can do Saturday night mass!) but I need to see if R1 is in town.  If not I will be trying to fill pawn off my red head.  Can a kayak handle two red-headed scouts? 

#58 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

Let's talk about this!  Our family calender is open that morning (we can do Saturday night mass!) but I need to see if R1 is in town.  If not I will be trying to fill pawn off my red head.  Can a kayak handle two red-headed scouts? 

if they were together, they would move.  maybe not fast...but they could probably do it.  plus PD02 and R3 get along well (on land).

I've got a paddling partner.  just need the tandem yak (hopefully one available still) and a confirmation that PD02 isn't stranded on land by himself. 

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#59 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

if they were together, they would move.  maybe not fast...but they could probably do it.  plus PD02 and R3 get along well (on land).

I've got a paddling partner.  just need the tandem yak (hopefully one available still) and a confirmation that PD02 isn't stranded on land by himself. 

Oh, well Cindy & me are planning on being there too (barring any previous commitments) so there might be options of us teaming up with either PD02 or R3...

I have no problems with that, but haven't asked how comfortable Cindy would feel doing that  :coolsmiley:

• green-eyed likes this

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

#60 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

Reservation @Pinky's is in the pocket!! Let the kayaking begin!!!
  • rozowski5 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users