Photo

CLAPS 2014 Spring Paddle CITO (Sun. 4/27)

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#21 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

The new place does have tandems.  They had two.  But one I would highly recommend you DO NOT rent.  Ask the Dallas folks about that one.  Maybe they have a new one!  Or maybe they are down to one.

Pinkys has tandems and the rent during the daytime.  There is the other place, but you'll have to check the night paddle thread on that as I never dealt with them.  But think someone mentioned their info in there.

I saw it when it was pulled out of the water. It was only a bowling pin hole.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#22 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

Oh man, hope I'm in town!!   Can't remember if we already cached that area. If so, we'll head out with everyone and detour, cleaning up another area.  (Making the assumption that my BFF will be in town)

• Mustard Devil, cachestacker and KeyResults like this
Posted Image

#23 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:09 AM

For those of us that would like to keep Sunday in church, maybe we just need to come up with our own meeting time on the water on a Saturday. 

You can always host your own event or CITO.  On a Saturday or any other day.  People should feel free to hold events or CITOs to come do these whenever they want.  I typically hold them on Sundays because I have the least amount of interruption with Syd's softball games and other activities.  She may have practice, but I can miss that.

A lot of cachers seem to want the S CLAPS on the S end (near Clear Lake Park) - in the old series and new - probably because it has had fewer events / mashups.  I know some were scared away by the chilly 78 degrees on the MLK day CITO.  Somoene should do a Saturday CITO at CL Park.   There just was one, but I promise we did not get everything. 

That's kind of what I was hinting at.  However, I don't plan to host a CLAPS event that far from home.  We like to be able to back out if the weather conditions are not good and if you are hosting, it's harder to do so.  We are still pretty much rookies when it comes to kayaks, so we like to pick our ideal conditions.  We definitely appreciate those that have hosted the events that we've gone to, but if we are going to organize something ourselves, it will probably be more of a mash-up so that we are closer to the day to watch what the weather is going to be like. 

We still haven't made it to Horsepen Bayou, and have been waiting for a group for safety reasons, but I'm not sure that I want to go during alligator mating season. 

Posted Image

#24 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:22 AM

1)  We like to be able to back out if the weather conditions are not good and if you are hosting, it's harder to do so

2)  We still haven't made it to Horsepen Bayou, and have been waiting for a group for safety reasons, but I'm not sure that I want to go during alligator mating season. 

1)  Naah.  People will come.  I've never been to one after the first that didn't have veterans.  So many people have done it now you're bound to have someone who has done it show up.  Just post an announcement.  They know what to do.  TW is a perfect example of overcoming events where the COs don't show up with the event during Icepocalypse 2014.  ;)    Heck - when I ripped my calf muscle I couldn't go on my own paddle event!  Y'all even went on that event!

2)  As for the gators -- no worries.  Unless you look like one.  Otherwise, they'll be busy doing other things.

Edited by cachestacker, 30 January 2014 - 07:23 AM.

• Dhaulaghiri likes this
Posted Image

#25 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

1)  We like to be able to back out if the weather conditions are not good and if you are hosting, it's harder to do so

2)  We still haven't made it to Horsepen Bayou, and have been waiting for a group for safety reasons, but I'm not sure that I want to go during alligator mating season. 

TW is a perfect example of overcoming events where the COs don't show up with the event during Icepocalypse 2014. 

Lol. Although I'm not sure just how to take that....   Hey, I needed my event fix!

#26 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

TW is a perfect example of overcoming events where the COs don't show up with the event during Icepocalypse 2014. 

Lol. Although I'm not sure just how to take that....   Hey, I needed my event fix!

I can hear the singing already ;)

:notme:  "I wanna be aaaalllll by myyyyself, just wanna be aaaaaalllll byyyyyyy myyyyseeeeeelf"  :notme:

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#27 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

I am going to name my kayak ....U122

#28 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

For those of us that would like to keep Sunday in church, maybe we just need to come up with our own meeting time on the water on a Saturday. 

You can always host your own event or CITO.  On a Saturday or any other day.  People should feel free to hold events or CITOs to come do these whenever they want.  I typically hold them on Sundays because I have the least amount of interruption with Syd's softball games and other activities.  She may have practice, but I can miss that.

A lot of cachers seem to want the S CLAPS on the S end (near Clear Lake Park) - in the old series and new - probably because it has had fewer events / mashups.  I know some were scared away by the chilly 78 degrees on the MLK day CITO.  Somoene should do a Saturday CITO at CL Park.   There just was one, but I promise we did not get everything. 

That's kind of what I was hinting at.  However, I don't plan to host a CLAPS event that far from home.  We like to be able to back out if the weather conditions are not good and if you are hosting, it's harder to do so.  We are still pretty much rookies when it comes to kayaks, so we like to pick our ideal conditions.  We definitely appreciate those that have hosted the events that we've gone to, but if we are going to organize something ourselves, it will probably be more of a mash-up so that we are closer to the day to watch what the weather is going to be like. 

We still haven't made it to Horsepen Bayou, and have been waiting for a group for safety reasons, but I'm not sure that I want to go during alligator mating season. 

I haven't done a lot of caches in "Alief" - so you can count me in for a CITO out there!  O0

And, if you're in the mood to do Horsepen I don't mind doing "marathon arms" for you if you pay for a tandem kayak sometime, (just let me know what day you're looking into). That's my favorite part of the CLAPS series & I've never gone turtle in my life.

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#29 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

You can always host your own event or CITO. On a Saturday or any other day. People should feel free to hold events or CITOs to come do these whenever they want. I typically hold them on Sundays because I have the least amount of interruption with Syd's softball games and other activities. She may have practice, but I can miss that.

A lot of cachers seem to want the S CLAPS on the S end (near Clear Lake Park) - in the old series and new - probably because it has had fewer events / mashups. I know some were scared away by the chilly 78 degrees on the MLK day CITO. Somoene should do a Saturday CITO at CL Park. There just was one, but I promise we did not get everything.

That's kind of what I was hinting at. However, I don't plan to host a CLAPS event that far from home. We like to be able to back out if the weather conditions are not good and if you are hosting, it's harder to do so. We are still pretty much rookies when it comes to kayaks, so we like to pick our ideal conditions. We definitely appreciate those that have hosted the events that we've gone to, but if we are going to organize something ourselves, it will probably be more of a mash-up so that we are closer to the day to watch what the weather is going to be like.

I've never gone turtle in my life.

Knock on wood quick
  • KeyResults likes this
Posted Image

#30 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

Paddled some of the N CLAPS with some non-cachers on Sunday.  It was a truly perfect day to paddle.  We saw 9 gators.  How many more saw us?  So just a primer for Mrs. Buddy Buddy for Horspen Bayou....  which has the highest density of 'em.

10a46e24-e51b-4ed4-b313-8df03617e455.jpg

39f2e9da-6ea0-43e3-9cd9-079e6c80e742.jpg

8d2fceb9-fac3-428b-9c55-d2dd7e2edd36.jpg

7b39894e-a1fc-4805-9276-c0ff089a3614.jpg

2fe0dab5-7511-44ce-97ed-a2a59735ab8b.jpg

Posted Image

#31 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

Ha Ha.  Now, I'll never get her to go on Horsepen Bayou......ever.....

Posted Image

#32 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

We were hiding a series Friday in the perfect place for gators (not BBSP) and never saw a one. Sparky did however, get stung by two very pissed off bees and I got electrocuted by a fence. :orelse:

• Mustard Devil and TexasWriter like this
img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#33 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:40 PM

We were hiding a series Friday in the perfect place for gators (not BBSP) and never saw a one. Sparky did however, get stung by two very pissed off bees and I got electrocuted by a fence. :orelse:

That sounds like one of (many of) my adventures with CornDoll...

#34 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

it was one helluva day. LOL I wish someone would have been taking video... running from the bees was especially fun. :-\ Then I had to go back for our wagon full of caches... luckily I moved in quickly and stealthily and grabbed our gear without getting stung. LOL And I guess I'm glad the fence got me before I decided to place a cache there... imagine the nasty notes I would have gotten on that one. :2funny:

#35 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

[quote name="Jhawk!" post="132682" I got electrocuted by a fence. :orelse:[/quote]

Try peeing on one. Makes you hair stand up.
  • Jhawk! likes this
Posted Image

#36 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

Maybe I'll wait until the burn marks on my stomach go away first.  LOL

#37 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

it was one helluva day. LOL I wish someone would have been taking video... running from the bees was especially fun. :-\ Then I had to go back for our wagon full of caches... luckily I moved in quickly and stealthily and grabbed our gear without getting stung. LOL And I guess I'm glad the fence got me before I decided to place a cache there... imagine the nasty notes I would have gotten on that one. :2funny:

This one involved darkness, bee stings, almost stepping on a rattlesnake, and two packs of coyotes....one of which didn't even run when we walked up on them (something is wrong when a coyote isn't afraid of you). http://coord.info/GLBK9T78

Oh yeah, and it was our honeymoon. Lol 

#38 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

She's earning the name Sparky, that's for sure.   :2funny:

Edit: Wait a minute.  I got that wrong.  I guess you should be Sparky!

Edited by ~windknot~, 31 March 2014 - 02:35 PM.

• TexasWriter likes this

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#39 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

She's earning the name Sparky, that's for sure.   :2funny:

Edit: Wait a minute.  I got that wrong.  I guess you should be Sparky!

LOL That's what we said... we'd have to switch geocaching handles now. :2funny:

#40 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

This one involved darkness, bee stings, almost stepping on a rattlesnake, and two packs of coyotes....one of which didn't even run when we walked up on them (something is wrong when a coyote isn't afraid of you). http://coord.info/GLBK9T78

Oh yeah, and it was our honeymoon. Lol 

LOL!!! Ya'll crazy. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users