18 replies to this topic

#1 OldGringoTx

OldGringoTx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

I have a 4 year old Garmin 2720 Street Pilot on my tour bike which has finally gone South on me. I will needing to replace it in the not too distant future so what would be a good selection for a multipurpose GPS for both dual purpose highway navigation and caching? The motorcycle forums are big on the high end Zumo for the waterproof feature but you folks might point me in another direction? I'm really going to miss the Street Pilot as it was plug and play through my existing wire harness.
Any scooter riders on the forum?

(edited Zumo to replace Nuvi)

Edited by OldGringoTx, 24 January 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#2 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

The Garmin Montana serves nicely as both, AND it holds up to 12,000 caches.  It switches from Geocaching mode to Nuvi mode when you put it in the car mount.  The only other "geocaching friendly" (i.e. accepts GPX files and will display cache info, hints and previous logs) navigation GPS I know of is the Garmin Nuvi 500/550.  It only hold about 1200 caches and is not currently in production, but you might be able to find one on ebay or craig's list.

• TexasWriter likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#3 OldGringoTx

OldGringoTx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

Actually misspoke earlier. The Garmin Zumo was the unit suggested. I tend to have more and more of these senior moments.

#4 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

I concur with Larry. As he knows, I have the Montana as well, and I use it like he mentioned above.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

The Nuvi 500/550 is water resistant and is used by motorcyclists, from what I understand.  Unfortunately, it pretty much sucks for using in the field to find geocaches.  The Montana would be the way to go, since it's also "weatherized" for outdoor use.

The Zumo might be be great for navigation use, but if you can't load geocaches into it, it's not going to be much use for finding geocaches in the field.  Come to an event and let some local cachers show you what they use.

Edited by HoustonControl, 24 January 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#6 OldGringoTx

OldGringoTx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

Thanks HC. Had planned on heading over to Kitty Hollow Sunday for some tutoring. Will do some investigating on the GPS U mentioned.

Edited by OldGringoTx, 24 January 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#7 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

2e1f46dd-e1ed-4ef5-9f3c-1a4aa5d1d8c9.jpg

(me picking up a TB)

Anyway, we ride!

...and did all of BB's Goatman Series on 2 wheels

But I do every Geocache...using my phone  :startled:

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#8 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

2e1f46dd-e1ed-4ef5-9f3c-1a4aa5d1d8c9.jpg

(me picking up a TB)

Anyway, we ride!

...and did all of BB's Goatman Series on 2 wheels

But I do every Geocache...using my phone  :startled:

My wife and I did Goatman on 2 wheels as well....mountain bikes....with our Garmin units mounted right on the handlebars :)

#9 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:43 AM

I've done the Goatman series over 20 times. LOL
  • amberita13 likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#10 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:03 AM

The Nuvi 500/550 is water resistant and is used by motorcyclists, from what I understand.  Unfortunately, it pretty much sucks for using in the field to find geocaches.  The Montana would be the way to go, since it's also "weatherized" for outdoor use.

The Zumo might be be great for navigation use, but if you can't load geocaches into it, it's not going to be much use for finding geocaches in the field.  Come to an event and let some local cachers show you what they use.

I have a Zumo 650 for my bikes and caches can be loaded.  I works well for routing to GZ, but like the Nuvi, it sucks for actually finding caches.

#11 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

I have a Zumo 650 for my bikes and caches can be loaded.  I works well for routing to GZ, but like the Nuvi, it sucks for actually finding caches.

When you say "loaded", do you mean loaded as geocaches with descriptions, logs and hints and with the correct caching icon right on the screen (paperless geocaching), or just as points of interest?

#12 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

When you say "loaded", do you mean loaded as geocaches with descriptions, logs and hints and with the correct caching icon right on the screen (paperless geocaching), or just as points of interest?

Pretty much like the old 60 CSx.  You get the cache name or GC number, the appropriate symbol and the coordinates.  Not even close to paperless caching, and trying to find a cache by wandering around looking at the Zumo's map is pretty much impossible.  I normally will load the caches from GSAK, but once I get to GZ, I'll use a GPS with paperless capability.  The main feature I like is the Zumo's up to date maps, quick routing and the fact that I have a mount for it on the bikes (I can switch it from bike to bike).  Oh yes, it also plays tunes through my Bluetooth helmet  :laugh:

#13 OldGringoTx

OldGringoTx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

HC, thanks for the heads up on the Montana series. From what I was able to search up on my own it will do most everything I would like but cook dinner.

http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=790308

#14 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

HC, thanks for the heads up on the Montana series. From what I was able to search up on my own it will do most everything I would like but cook dinner.

http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=790308

Yes, it will do all of what you were describing you wanted and more. It's a big brick of a unit, but it's a great GPSr.

#15 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

Every time I see the heading for this thread, it makes me hungry.  

Posted Image

#16 OldGringoTx

OldGringoTx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

Every time I see the heading for this thread, it makes me hungry.

Two scoops of Bluebell Homemade Vanilla with hot fudge topping?

#17 OldGringoTx

OldGringoTx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

Okay, deed is done with GPS on order. Garmin Montana with motorcycle mounting package and City Navigator Map package. GPS City had bundled package discount, free shipping, plus motorcycle club $50 discount on top of that. What's not to like?
Is the Basecamp software a freebie or does it have to be purchased separately. Would be nice to program ride routes in laptop then D/L.

#18 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

Basecamp is free. Garmin.com. if you bought maps on dvd basecamp will be on it also
Posted Image

#19 OldGringoTx

OldGringoTx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

Basecamp is free. Garmin.com. if you bought maps on dvd basecamp will be on it also

Thanks ClanStan. Its' appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users