Photo

GC24K2K ▼ Soda Tube Trials #2: Aim For The Water!

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

GC24K2K ▼ Soda Tube Trials #2: Aim For The Water!

"Both the Baytown City Council and the Chambers County Commissioners Court passed resolutions in the last week urging Union Pacific Railroad to remove a long-unused rail line that runs through the south part of Baytown from the ExxonMobil facility to a bascule bridge over Cedar Bayou, just south of the Highway 99 bridge."

“We have crafted together a deal,” he said, “to where Union Pacific Railroad can essentially walk away from this line, and TxDOT has agreed to assume all the cost of removing that bascule bridge.”

TXGA SETX Representative

#2 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:52 AM

This is really fun cache, and a memorable one for a milestone. It will help those of you with fears of heights overcome those fears.  ;)

I really recommend everyone do this before the bridge is gone. Given budget cuts, you'd think that would be about the 10th of never.  But because there is a cool cache on it, it has probably been moved to the short list, ahead of repairing bridges and other infrastructure that needs repair.

Posted Image

#3 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

Indeed, it was a very fun bridge to climb, but unfortunately the cache itself probably got muggled! I was up there only a week or two ago and came up empty. I have plans on going back and replacing, fwiw, because it's indeed a cool cache, that deserves more credit/visitors.

Suggestion for those who may beat me to it: use something magnetic, like a keyholder to hide it out of sight, instead of using the electrical box like the last cacher did.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#4 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

I'm going out there next Sunday, Feb 2nd. If enough people show interest in going I can start an event for it. If not, we can just make it a small outing. I'm not familiar with the area so I'm not sure what is a good place to meet up for it. Baytown Bert, any ideas?

I think it's gone so we'll be replacing the cache... probably with some sort of micro that is less likely to be muggled. 

EDIT: Note to self: read comments first.  :uglystupid2:

Edited by Jhawk!, 26 January 2014 - 01:19 PM.

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#5 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

I don't think PR will publish an event that is submitted less than 2 weeks before the actual event date. I'm pretty sure that's the guideline/cutoff that he enforces. Just fyi...

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#6 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

GC25FFC ▼ BB's Where The Eagles Soar! Park at this cache and walk the RR tracks straight to the bridge. Your car will be safe here. You will need a magnetic container. I would paint it brown to match the structure. Hide it in such a manner on the top, close to wear you exit the ladder, but in a safe manner. I am working Feb 2, so I will not be able to video it, but that doesn't mean someone else can't.
  • Jhawk! likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#7 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

I don't think PR will publish an event that is submitted less than 2 weeks before the actual event date. I'm pretty sure that's the guideline/cutoff that he enforces. Just fyi...

Ah. Bummer. 

#8 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

GC25FFC ▼ BB's Where The Eagles Soar! Park at this cache and walk the RR tracks straight to the bridge. Your car will be safe here. You will need a magnetic container. I would paint it brown to match the structure. Hide it in such a manner on the top, close to wear you exit the ladder, but in a safe manner. I am working Feb 2, so I will not be able to video it, but that doesn't mean someone else can't.

Thanks! 

#9 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

I may attend the attempt and have just bought a cool new video-toy to record the action.

Not 100% sure yet though.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#10 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

I may attend the attempt and have just bought a cool new video-toy to record the action.

Not 100% sure yet though.

I'll be getting an early start in Baytown but if you think you can make it let me know and we can figure out a time to meet at the cache. I plan on grabbing a few others in the area also.

#11 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

I 'may' be able to make it to make climb.    I'll know better Friday morning.

Posted Image

#12 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:44 AM

Somebody better make a movie is all I'm saying!  (Not all I'm saying - it's just a saying).  :angel:

TXGA SETX Representative

#13 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:16 AM

I'm interested!
I get out of work at 3:30 though :/

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#14 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:08 AM

Instead of placing a container that could go mia...why not ask finders to sign the structure with a sharpie?
Kinda hard to muggle a signature.
  • Dhaulaghiri likes this

#15 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

Instead of placing a container that could go mia...why not ask finders to sign the structure with a sharpie?

This is a good idea.  Someone tell thacatfish.

Wonder how many people will climb all the way up there and forget their sharpie?

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#16 JuleeD

JuleeD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

I'm going out there next Sunday, Feb 2nd. If enough people show interest in going I can start an event for it. If not, we can just make it a small outing. I'm not familiar with the area so I'm not sure what is a good place to meet up for it. Baytown Bert, any ideas?

I think it's gone so we'll be replacing the cache... probably with some sort of micro that is less likely to be muggled. 

EDIT: Note to self: read comments first.  :uglystupid2:

What time are you meeting? ThatDarnDane and I made an attempt last year before I was spooked by the height and I'd like to give it another try!

#17 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

It'll be about an hour's drive for us so I'm guessing we'll be at GZ around 10am-10:30am depending on how many times I get lost. ;-)

#18 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

That's what started this whole thread.  TxDOT will be muggling the whole structure!

• Dhaulaghiri, green-eyed, JuleeD and 1 other like this
Posted Image

#19 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

Date, time, meeting place ? Im in
Posted Image

#20 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

Works for me. Someone place a container too though. Just for those that happen to forget their sharpee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users