12 replies to this topic

#1 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

Hi all. :) Myself and four friends will be attending our first Texas Challenge in Bastrop in March. We are very excited! We started geocaching last February and it's become a bit of an obsession. :) We are really looking forward to learning about how the Challenge works. I cannot attend Saturday's meeting but I hope to read more here on the Forum and I definitely plan on attending any practice events we might have leading up to the event.

See you all soon! :)

Jen (Jhawk!)

• Baytown Bert likes this
img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#2 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

In General, the Texas Challenge is a regional competition to see which team can score the most points in a 4-hour timed event.

Points are scored by finding specific caches and having your personal scorecard marked for that cache.

The personal scorecards are then averaged for the regional score.  Ours is the SETX region.

In the past, the caches have be traditional, puzzles, activity or task oriented, moving caches, virtual, or special "evil" caches.

If you choose to be on the "hunting team", you should expect to cache "full-blast" for the entire 4 hour time window, in order to contribute the most to the team score.

There is also a need for a "support team", to aid the hunters in getting to where they need to be, and helping communicate important happenings during the event.

More can be learned by attending any local event, and ask someone who has participated in a TC.

Posted Image

#3 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:13 AM

I've been working out; squat-thrusts, twerking, limbo, hula hoop, tire flipping...
  • Kalvey and Jhawk! like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#4 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

I'm in for the hunt. Caching for four hours is nothing after doing Z-Malloc's Element series along Addicks Resevoir after a monsoon the night before. :-)

Do 12-ounce curls count as a workout? ;-)

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

Yes, they do. I've worked my way up to 16oz curls with a few repetitions. My Abs are proff!
  • Jhawk! likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

Yes, they do. I've worked my way up to 16oz curls with a few repetitions. My Abs are proff!

You da man! I'll have to incorporate twerking into my routine... I'm thinking after a few of the 12-oz curls.

• Baytown Bert likes this

#7 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

I pretty much decided againt Pole dancing, as we only have Czechs living here.
  • green-eyed and Jhawk! like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#8 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

I pretty much decided againt Pole dancing, as we only have Czechs living here.

We have Polecats though.
Posted Image

#9 VossX2

VossX2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

Hello there!

My hubby and I make up Vossx2 and have been caching since May of last year. I have become quite ADDICTED to this sport!!

We are very excited about attending the Texas Challenge as it will be a first for us. Our first big even to attend... WooHoo!!

We will not be competing this year, but we will be cheering all of you on!! 

We are also looking forward to meeting other cachers in our region.

Christine

Edited by VossX2, 24 January 2014 - 10:16 PM.

Posted Image

#10 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

In General, the Texas Challenge is a regional competition to see which team can score the most points in a 4-hour timed event.

Points are scored by finding specific caches and having your personal scorecard marked for that cache.

The personal scorecards are then averaged for the regional score.  Ours is the SETX region.

In the past, the caches have be traditional, puzzles, activity or task oriented, moving caches, virtual, or special "evil" caches.

If you choose to be on the "hunting team", you should expect to cache "full-blast" for the entire 4 hour time window, in order to contribute the most to the team score.

There is also a need for a "support team", to aid the hunters in getting to where they need to be, and helping communicate important happenings during the event.

More can be learned by attending any local event, and ask someone who has participated in a TC.

Just wondering:

How do they put into consideration that some teams will have more participants than others?

Like, how do less population dense areas...like, West Texas, compete? 

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#11 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

Just wondering:

How do they put into consideration that some teams will have more participants than others?

I think there just join one of the larger teams.

Posted Image

#12 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:49 AM

Just wondering:

This is what they do:  the team scores are averaged by the number of players on each team.  They also the past years have been dropping the bottom 20% of the scorers, and just considering the top 80% for each region.  Right now West Texas has 28 hunters signed up, so if they all pick up their scorecards and compete, the score of the top 80%, which is about 22 cachers, will be divided by 22.

It is actually amazing that each region, even less populated ones, has enough players to be competitive.  In their first year as a region (2011), South Texas won the Challenge with a small number of hard core cachers.  

This is the current breakdown of the number of hunters signed up for each region:

North: 65

Southeast (us): 68

Central: 41

West: 28

South: 16

East: 24

Out of State (this is a team for "whoever else"): 2

come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#13 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:05 AM

Also in the past, I think that there has had to be a minimum of a certain number (maybe 10) for a team to be considered a team.  For instance, if only 2 people are from out of state, they'll probably have to pick a team or have it picked for them.  Also, the numbers that JustKeely listed are the numbers that signed up to hunt but several of these may be on the fence as to whether to hunt or may have to back out at the last minute, so we never have quite as many on the day of the event as signed up to hunt. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users