28 replies to this topic

#1 OldGringoTx

OldGringoTx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

Greetings from the shadow of Kitty Hollow Park! Discovered caching this past weekend and decided to give it a try. First day out I managed to locate 2 of 4 caches using the iPHONE introductory app which I didn't think was too bad for a noob. Went out a day later and found the 2 I had overlooked plus a couple more in the Sweetie Loves series. This can certainly be addicting! It gets me out of the house for a little sunshine and exercise. Think I'll stick with the iPHONE for now or until I can meet with a few of the locals to learn more about the many GPS units they use. Only real issue with iPHONE so far is screen glare.

I wasn't able to participate in the "Will Cache For Food" gathering the other night due to previous committment but will try for the meet at Kitty Hollow on 26 January to introduce myself.

Regards,

OG

Don't worry about the avatar, I'm one of the good guys! And thanks for the add. 

• Jhawk! likes this

#2 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

welcome to our favorite hobby/obsession! 

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#3 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

Welcome! The right side of the forum page has a list of the events in the area too.

TXGA SETX Representative

#4 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for posting and Welcome! It is addicting isn't it? And that's just the finding caches part! You've got all sorts of stuff to discover! Your cup runneth over!

You're in the very same part of the world as some terrific people and great geocachers!

As you venture out in your quest, you'll eventually find yourself in our respective stomping grounds working a series of hides or visiting events. We look forward to the day we meet, hopefully at an event or biking/kayaking or climbing trees while caching one weekend!

CU in the logs!
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#5 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

Greetings from Sienna Plantation and welcome to the game!

I second KR that there are some great caches and cachers in our neck of the woods.

I'm looking forward to meeting you at an event or going after a  cache.

-TG

Posted Image

#6 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Welcome!

There's an event upcoming in your area on the 26th of January!

We plan to tackle the "kitty Hollow" series.

A good way to meet other cachers, and learn about our great addiction hobby!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#7 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

Welcome OldGringoTX!    We don't judge, too much,  ;)  so don't worry about your avatar!    We like to have lots of fun!

Posted Image

#8 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

I found out the introductory app only find easy caches rated 1.5/1.5 or lower.

Posted Image

#9 OldGringoTx

OldGringoTx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for the welcome everyone! :-)

Bert, I received your message and added the event to my calendar this morning.

Sock Puppet, I can understand how the iPHONE Introductory app would limit content to promote the purchase of the full blown app. Do the GPS units have the ability to display the hints and logs of other cachers? Just a noob question on my part. 

#10 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

Hi! Welcome. I'm a newbie to the forum here but have been caching since Feb... love it!

Did you sign up for the annual membership at geocaching.com? With the basic (free) subscription, you can't see the Premium caches. Some hides are premium for various reasons. Just thought I'd mention that. :)

Hope to see you along the trail!

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#11 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

Do the GPS units have the ability to display the hints and logs of other cachers? Just a noob question on my part. 

it depends on the GPS unit you use.  some only give coordinates and name so you can navigate and some give description, hint and some logs. 

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#12 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,863 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

Sock Puppet, I can understand how the iPHONE Introductory app would limit content to promote the purchase of the full blown app. Do the GPS units have the ability to display the hints and logs of other cachers? Just a noob question on my part. 

Certain higher-end GPS units do,  The Garmin 62 series, Oregon, Montana and Colorado (do they still make that last one?)  Can't speak much to the DeLorme or Magellan units, but I'm pretty sure they do as well -- at least some of them.  That's certainly a pricier way to go.  If you're still unsure if you're going to stick with it, just get the premium membership to GC.com and go with the $10 phone app or try out the Geosphere app.  Welcome aboard!

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#13 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

Welcome to the obsession.  Hope to see/meet you at Kitty Hollow Park event on 1/26.

I'm not an iPhone user per se (heavy droid user) but I'd look for other free Geocaching apps for your iPhone.  Which version iPhone do you have? The 4S and and newer have much better GPS units, utilizing both GLONASS and GPS satelites, the earlier iPhones I know didn't have GLONASS support and I'm told many had very poor GPS.  That said a lot of foilage may still result in the GPS bouncing around a fair amount.

Unfortunately the most acclaimed (paid or free) geocaching app is Droid only (c:geo) if you happen to be one of the rare folks that have both a droid and an iPhone you may want to pull out the droid for geocaching.

As for GPS units, most Garmin units built within the past several years have supported Geocaching w/ hints and other features.  I know some of the other brands have started supporting these a bit more, but I'm not sure which ones provide which support.  If you are looking into buying a unit, you'll get plenty of recommendations from those here.  My favorite being the Garmin Oregon 600 series units here's a review I wrote on it http://hgcs.org/inde...ew/#entry122627

Posted Image Posted Image

#14 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

I tried the intro version today and it started doing a compass calibration mode. I liked the old basic app.

Posted Image

#15 OldGringoTx

OldGringoTx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

Thanks guys (and ladies) guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing until I learn the ropes. A lot of what I'm seeing on the smart phone App seems to be very intuitive. Found a cache the other day which had a pressed penny in it but I failed to mention it in the log. Guess that's really bad social form so apologies to the benefactor. Also got stumped on a cache which had a blue instead of green symbol on the map. May I assume that is not an active cache? 

Thanks again, 

OG

#16 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,863 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

If it was a blue question mark, it is a puzzle cache which is not located at the posted coordinates.  You generally have to solve some sort of puzzle first.  Read the cache page.

Cache Types

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#17 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:42 AM

...Or.... if its a puzzle cache, ask one of your geekier friends for the coords and then mention it in your log. LOL Not that I would do that or anything. Yes, I said geekier.

TXGA SETX Representative

#18 OldGringoTx

OldGringoTx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:15 AM

I'm back again! The cache # is GC2ZYXX. I approached this cache from all directions on the compass rose, the checked the vegetation lines on the East and North. Just thought it odd when I never got a 'you're getting close' prompt on the iPHONE.

#19 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,384 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:52 AM

I'm back again! The cache # is GC2ZYXX. I approached this cache from all directions on the compass rose, the checked the vegetation lines on the East and North. Just thought it odd when I never got a 'you're getting close' prompt on the iPHONE.

This one is a puzzle which is not at the coordinates.   Do you have a way on your iPhone to put in updated coordinates?  This one is about a quarter of a mile away from posted coordinates and puzzles can be up to 2 miles away from the posted coordinates..    Message sent. 

Posted Image

#20 OldGringoTx

OldGringoTx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for the help (both public and private) and your patience! On the iPhone, the blue symbol didn't contain the ?, On Geocache website map it did. My fault for not looking at both resources prior to posting.

Thanks again, now everybody get out of here and go find a few caches! 

OG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users