Photo

Need a "terrific" place to go geocaching with the family!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chringuyen86

chringuyen86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCypress, Texas

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

I need a "terrific" place out either out in Cypress, Katy or 610/290 area that has a lot of caches for my family to do. We would like some that has swags so that my kids can pick out a "prize" for there hunting adventures. My boyfriend doesn't want to be driving around so I kinda need something near each other...maybe a park? Thanks for the help!!!

#2 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

The warriors Series GC3QB5Q has a lot of caches and will have some good swag.  As will Memorial Park with its abundance of larger caches,

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

Memorial Park and the Arboretum have lots of caches and some nice hikes.

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

#4 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

I sense that this could be a great outing to help you sell everyone in your family group on geocaching. Kids can be frustrated quickly if things don't happen or you keep coming up empty. It's good you're asking. Consider doing some surfing homework to decide on specific caches that have been found recently, that have fav points, easy difficulty and terrain ratings...at least initially.
It's not a bunch of swag, but choo choo series on the train downtown was a real hit for all the kids present when I was there. NASA space center was really cool with all the rockets and stuff. Jones Forest is really fun along with mercer arboretum. But these are all areas outside your zone. Shoot for quality over quantity. It's like fishing, for kids it can get boring real fast if there's nothing going on. Anyway, read logs, look at pics, and stuff ahead of the trip to give yourself and the kiddos good odds. :)
If it seems frustrating, and you don't find em, don't push too hard. Better to go out with an experienced group and learn some tricks. Best of luck on your outing!

• JustKeely, 2katz, Dhaulaghiri and 1 other like this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#5 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

This, too, is out of your area, but would be great for any newer cacher to go to:  Baytown Bert's Geocacing 101 class at the Baytown Nature Center.  The event has not published yet (I don't think) but it will be posted in the events section.  It's not only a great chance to meet others - new and experienced who will show up for this event - but you'll learn a lot, too.  And it doesn't hurt that the park is full of great caches in a really cool area.

For reference - this is the cache at the entrance of the park.  http://coord.info/GC216KR  I have taken my son and nephew there (starting at the time around age 7-8 ) and my daughter (a little older) to the park several times.  They love caching there.  Good mixup of types, sizes, etc.

Just something to consider.  With the event you'll be able to get lots of questions answered and then partner up with others to go look for caches in the park. 

Edited by cachestacker, 15 January 2014 - 06:56 AM.

• KeyResults and chringuyen86 like this
Posted Image

#6 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

Burroughs Park and Telge Park come to mind.  You'll want to read the cache logs ahead of time, like KeyResults said.  This will help you pick caches that are in good shape and have lots of swag for the kids.  Also, I noticed there is an event posted on January 26th at Kitty Hollow Park.  That park is south of where you wanted, but there will probably be other kids there and group caching, which is fun.  There will be some other events this year at parks in the Houston area, so watch the calendar!

• chringuyen86 likes this
come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#7 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

Hi there!  I agree with what everyone has said.  My caching kids are 5, 7 and 9 and the littler ones can get tired pretty quickly.  Also, it isn't fun to be on the side of a busy road with them, or bushwhacking and up needing to carry one out.  A successful day really takes a lot of planning to ensure they have fun. (water, snacks, swag bag)  Memorial park has some bigger caches but there area also quite a few that need some serious bushwhacking to get to them.  We were out there a few weeks ago and tried for 4 caches and found 0.  That was kind of a bummer.  

So my suggestions - Jones Park rocks.  It is worth the drive.  It has the best forest/path/caches we have found so far in Houston.  My kids still talk about what a great day that was.  Go for the Muddy Water Girl caches.  (thanks to Dhaulagiri for telling us about this park)

Also look at Mike Driscoll Park which has been on my radar for a nice kid caching day.  They are all off a trail and should be easy to find.  GC4H6B5

I am the CO for the Kitty Hollow Park event.  It will be very kid friendly with my 3 there at least.  Again, it is group of 10 or so caches off a trail around a pond.  

GC4WNG1

Another cacher, TexasWriter had suggested a little park by Willowbrook mall for my kids but we haven't made it out there.  Maybe he will see this and post.  

How I look for caches in an area is often by sorting by FAV points and then looking at the terrain rating to determine if they are suitable for all of us. Depending on what app you are using you can rule out caches based on those items and it makes it easier.  

Happy caching!  

• KeyResults and chringuyen86 like this

#8 chringuyen86

chringuyen86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCypress, Texas

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

what is CO?

#9 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:56 AM

what is CO?

Cache Owner

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:10 AM

BB's Geocaching 101 Event & Workshop! http://coord.info/GC4WZXE March 1st in Baytown.
  • KeyResults and GASTX like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:30 AM

what is CO?

Geocaching lexicon

http://geolex.locusprime.net/
  • KeyResults and GASTX like this

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users