20 replies to this topic

#1 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

A get together in Sugar Land (by Kitty Hollow Park) 1pm Sunday 1/26/14.

This isn't my event, but it didn't look like it was getting a lot of attention and I figured I'd promote it here in case others simply may have missed its posting  :angel:

Based on where we're meeting, I assume we're going to do the 'Haunting of Kitty Hollow' series.   Plus there's a good puzzle nearby who's final is in the area in case anyone wants to solve it ahead of time - Shaken Not Stirred - GC49NQF  Personally I brute forced it :coolsmiley: but got an answer and plan on showing up about 20-30mins early to make a quick run for the cache (not too far from GZ of the event - but may require some small amount of bush whacking.

I hope this stirs some interest in the event.  mtp

EDIT: Link added http://www.geocachin...ere-kitty-kitty

Edited by TAZ427, 14 January 2014 - 02:38 PM.

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

Posted Image Posted Image

#2 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

If anyone wants to give the "Shaken Not Stirred" puzzle a shot I'd be happy to answer any questions.  Skip over the verbiage in the page until it starts talking about Pai Gow Poker.  Everything above that was superfluous.  If you know how to play Poker, you can learn Pai Gow Poker.  If you can learn Pai Gow Poker, you can solve the puzzle.  Or you could just "brute force" it.   :stirpot:

• TravelingGeek likes this

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#3 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

Not much brute force involved, just smart thinking ;)

On behalf of the CO of the event, THANKS TAZ!!!!!!

Edited by Dhaulaghiri, 14 January 2014 - 03:47 PM.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#4 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

Yeah, I started reading the dealer rules (which would be key to understand) and decided that brute force was the way to go for me  :uglystupid2: but it's a great idea for a cache puzzle.

#5 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

Bumping this up as a reminder to all of the event this Sunday.

#6 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:08 AM

Thanks! I will take a look at the puzzle since we are home with a no-snow snow day today. I have played pai gow but not in many years so I will need to google it.

Also thanks for the event marketing. I hope the weather clears up and we can have a fun run of it on Sunday.

#7 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

A get together in Sugar Land (by Kitty Hollow Park) 1pm Sunday 1/26/14.

This isn't my event, but it didn't look like it was getting a lot of attention and I figured I'd promote it here in case others simply may have missed its posting  :angel:

Based on where we're meeting, I assume we're going to do the 'Haunting of Kitty Hollow' series.   Plus there's a good puzzle nearby who's final is in the area in case anyone wants to solve it ahead of time - Shaken Not Stirred - GC49NQF  Personally I brute forced it :coolsmiley: but got an answer and plan on showing up about 20-30mins early to make a quick run for the cache (not too far from GZ of the event - but may require some small amount of bush whacking.

I hope this stirs some interest in the event.  mtp

EDIT: Link added http://www.geocachin...ere-kitty-kitty

I solved this one a while back but have yet to go find it. Maybe I can meet you when you arrive and we can go find it??

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

#8 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

I'm showing up early to make a run for it about 15-20mins before the event.  I believe Mustard Devil is going to show up early too.  We can all make a run for it together.

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

#9 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

I'm showing up early to make a run for it about 15-20mins before the event.  I believe Mustard Devil is going to show up early too.  We can all make a run for it together.

Do you want to meet at the event coords at the early time?

#10 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

Yes, let's meet at the event coords about 12:40ish.

#11 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

Yes I will be there early at the event cords :)

#12 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

Make sure while you are at Kitty Hollow Park that you sign the log for GC3KBE5 The Food Guide Pyramid Challenge.   Many of you may already qualify for the challenge and others may need to work a little longer at finding the right caches to qualify.   It's been kind of interesting seeing the creativity of some to come up with caches that fit in the different categories.  We allow a bit of creative license.

Posted Image

#13 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

Looks like your link, links back to this thread.  Here's a corrected link to the GC3KBE5 The Food Guide Pyramid Challenge.

Personally my diet is a bit too unbalanced to complete this but I'm hungry to work on it.

• TexasWriter likes this

#14 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

We just made our lists and saw, with creative license, that we qualify for this challenge! We will be coming for this one tomorrow.  It will be a favorite for sure! 

#15 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

Make sure while you are at Kitty Hollow Park that you sign the log for GC3KBE5 The Food Guide Pyramid Challenge. Many of you may already qualify for the challenge and others may need to work a little longer at finding the right caches to qualify. It's been kind of interesting seeing the creativity of some to come up with caches that fit in the different categories. We allow a bit of creative license.

I liked that challenge. It was one of the "funner" ones I've done.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#16 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Looks like your link, links back to this thread.  Here's a corrected link to the GC3KBE5 The Food Guide Pyramid Challenge.

Personally my diet is a bit too unbalanced to complete this but I'm hungry to work on it.

I struggled trying to figure out how to do the link this morning and get it to have word other than the web address.  What's the actual way to put in a link now and have it say what the link is to?

Posted Image

#17 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

It looks to me like you type the text you want (like GC3KBE5) then highlight it with your cursor and click "Link" in the line above the text box and put the URL into link box.

#18 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

I struggled trying to figure out how to do the link this morning and get it to have word other than the web address.  What's the actual way to put in a link now and have it say what the link is to?

I think you did everything correct, but you copied the URL of this page instead of the cache page, and then pasted that in as the Link URL by mistake.

#19 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

Count me in on the early run on the mystery cache.... I'm treating it like a field puzzle  and following Taz!  

Or maybe I could trade Mike his pink flamingo t-shirt from last year for the final coords.  :)

• TexasWriter and ~windknot~ like this
Posted Image

#20 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

Here's a 'directors'-cut of the video I shot during the event.

I used my new Garmin VIRB elite, and I have to say I'm impressed by the quality!

I edited out the sound, since most of it wasn't really interesting but I haven't found a way of dubbing music over it yet.

Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/WG2ySwh9V_Q

• KeyResults likes this

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users