• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

Go with an experienced cacher as often as you can.
  • chringuyen86 likes this

#22 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

C'86, here is the way I look for Event Caches

On the HIDE & SEEK page, go to the bottom of the left side and click on "Advanced Search Options";  then search for "Event Caches" and by your area code (or use 77002 or 77007 for most of Houston).  Once on the listing of Events, click on "Placed" for calendar dating schedule.  The listing will also show you general distance and direction from your zip code used.

Since I live in Deer Park way East of Houston, I use 77536 zip code for most of the events in the deep Southeast of Houston.

#23 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

do you guys have any tips for a newcomer (just in general)?

Tips:  When you get to the general area (within 20 feet) use your eyes, instead of the GPS.  

Look for places that something could be hidden, or even something in plane sight that looks like it might not exactly belong.  

Experience is the best lesson.  

Get out there and try.  You'll learn soon enough.

Have you found a LPC (light pole cache), yet?

Posted Image

#24 chringuyen86

chringuyen86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCypress, Texas

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:48 PM

are you talking about the light post skirt? if so, I have found a few already! those are easy!!!
  • green-eyed likes this

#25 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

BB's Geocaching made simple

Thot's Beginner Guide

TXGA SETX Representative

#26 chringuyen86

chringuyen86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCypress, Texas

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

Thanks @Baytown Bart :)

#27 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,847 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

Hi chringuyen86 and welcome!  Keep an eye on the section of this forum called Metro Mashups.  That's where folks are looking to get together for a day of caching.  We're tentatively planning an outing in the Sam Houston National Forest on Jan 19th for a 7+ mile hike to get a cache.  OK, actually we'll get several caches...

http://hgcs.org/inde...p-with-4-stops/

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#28 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Hi!

EVERYBODY on this board, and I do mean every one of us, has friends and family members that don't feel the Geocaching bug the same way we do. So, you're definitely among friends here...lots and lots of em! Keep posting. Watch or post in the "mash ups" section to go out with some others. And, as suggested, go to all the events you can...it's amazing what you pick up at the events, and kids are always welcome! Even non-adult kids :D 

Welcome!

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#29 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

LPC's easy? Wait till I find my parts bag...its somewhere in my car :)

#30 chringuyen86

chringuyen86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCypress, Texas

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

LPC's easy? Wait till I find my parts bag...its somewhere in my car :)

Yes those LPC are easy!!! i have done some that actually are hard and actually made you think! i believe the other day i did one with my boyfriend and we had to go through the trees to get to the cache. So far.....I am loving the geocaching and glad my kids like it too! they called it "HUNTING"  :)

#31 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

My great nephew cant say geocaching yet :) so he tells people Im a pirate looking for  treasure!

#32 chringuyen86

chringuyen86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCypress, Texas

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

My great nephew cant say geocaching yet :) so he tells people Im a pirate looking for  treasure!

my son who is turning 6 in a few days just started saying "geocaching" but when he gets frustrated because i cant understand him he would be like "hunting".

Edited by chringuyen86, 06 January 2014 - 05:42 PM.

#33 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

chringuyen86 : A lot of the people on this forum, well, all of them except Aaron Barbee and me are obsessed with geocaching!  Aaron and I are the sane ones... :angel:
  • Dhaulaghiri and chringuyen86 like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#34 chringuyen86

chringuyen86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCypress, Texas

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

chringuyen86 : A lot of the people on this forum, well, all of them except Aaron Barbee and me are obsessed with geocaching!  Aaron and I are the sane ones... :angel:

HAH! i know your obessed :) i have found a few cachse with your name on it and then some with pictures!!! LOL! i am really glad i got into doing this and getting to share it with my kids and boyfriend!!!

#35 cajunabear

cajunabear

• Senior Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Location77069

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

Thanks! but now I think I am confuse bwahhhh also, do you guys have any tips for a newcomer (just in general)?

Look at the difficulty and terrain ratings, as well as the previous logs, on caches that you're considering hunting. If there are several Did Not Find's (DNF's) in the logs, skip them to avoid frustration. If the difficulty level is 3 or above, you can typically assume that it's going to be a bit challenging to find, and for a newcomer it could be downright frustrating. Like most new things, you can serve yourself well by making it easy on yourself at the start, and as you gain experience you can slowly increase the challenge you put on yourself in terms of difficulty and terrain.

One other thing.  Always try to end the a hunt with a find, this may mean saving a 1/1 or interspersing them in your hunt list.

Now that we have exhausted all the possibilities ... Let's get started.

#36 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

Rats!  Called out like a chump!  :uglystupid2:

TXGA SETX Representative

#37 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

Like others said, find an event or two to go to and find groups in the Metro Mashups.  Or post in the Metro Mashups section when you want to go somewhere.  With a little notice, you may have some cachers join you who have not cached in the area you are going.  For example, a park, a series, or just random caches in an area.

I had hundreds of finds before I went to my first event.  Just hearing others talk I learned so much --- and so much of that would have saved me TONS of time.  Everything from trackables to challenge caches.  Puzzles to fun hides and fun series.  I've met so many great people in caching -- going to events early on is the one thing I wish I had done much sooner than I did.

Caching in new areas is fun in a small group.  And events are where you're going to meet the locals (and not so locals).  There are recurring events you can go to monthly on all sides of town.

Welcome to the addiction, obsession, game!

Posted Image

#38 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

What cachestacker said and this brings up the big question... Why haven't I made a dedicatory cache to him?  Well, hey!  I guess I better and quick.  :fist-pump:

• cachestacker, green-eyed and chringuyen86 like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#39 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

What cachestacker said and this brings up the big question... Why haven't I made a dedicatory cache to him?  Well, hey!  I guess I better and quick.  :fist-pump:

Why do I feel nervous all of a sudden?   :2funny:

Posted Image

#40 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

I can see it now...Captain Stinkin Olaf's Other Child or something like that :stirpot:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users