69 replies to this topic

#1 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

Hey guys!

So I may not of announced it, but one of my resolutions is to host an event this year.

Thus, I present: "Shoot Your Heart Out" in February (a play on Valentine's day  ^_^ )

I spoke with Taylor at The Arms Room & she said we could shoot on the range prior to opening that Sunday before, Feb 9th, with the instruction room at our disposal for yummy eats, with unlimited rentals, ear/eye protection, & targets for our duration prior to opening (like 10am).

Thing is, it's $400.

Well, with a dozen people it's like $33, but fluctuates depending upon how many people are interested.

SO! I'm wondering if anyone is interested?

Please let me know before I THINK about getting this ball rolling  :)

Edited by amberita13, 03 January 2014 - 07:06 PM.

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#2 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

You can count on two adults.  What's the policy for minors?  If they can shoot, it may be 2 more.  (ages 15 and 17)

Posted Image

#3 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

I'll do it! Will even bring a "few" of my weapons if anyone wants to shoot them:)

If this was an outdoor range I could bring my elephant and buffalo rifles!

Edited by Mustard Devil, 03 January 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#4 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Sounds like fun ... one  .... two maybe

Posted Image

#5 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

We are in for 2. Good idea!

#6 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

Uhm... this sounds like a lot of fun! I went to a shooting range for the first time a couple of months ago and was totally, absolutely, completely flabbergasted by the experience (yes, all of you Texans, I'm 37 years old and that was the first time I shot a REAL firearm... it's just not that easy in Europe!!).

Normally I wouldn't really be interested in going back, BUT if you combine it with the great pastime of Geocaching, who could resist?!?

Maybe I can even convince Mrs. D. to join us, so she can have a try  :angel:

Only question I have for now: WHEN? You're talking about Valentines Day, but that's on a Friday?!?

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#7 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Um, Dhaulaghiri, the first post says Sunday, Feb 9th... in the morning before they normally open.  I'd be interested.  I need some range time with my 9mm anyway.  If we get 20 people, it would be $20 each.  They have 10 handgun lanes and 5 rifle lanes.

Traveling Geek, their website says: "There is no age requirement, more of a height requirement. We strive to make the shooting experience enjoyable for everyone. Anyone under the age of 21 may shoot with a legal guardian as long as they can safely shoot over our tables (about 36" tall) at the targets down range."

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#8 TX Travelers

TX Travelers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

count on at least one of us.  Mustard Devil, Nic says she would love to see your "cache of weapons".  :) 

#9 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

Funny.  A few of us have been toying with this idea for some time.  We had pondered a flash mob event outside and let those who want to shoot go shoot and the rest come in and watch from the viewing room. 

Not sure if the room is worth it or not.  But would love to come to this.  If you don't do the room you could also have an after-event someplace local to much at, perhaps, so people could actually get together, talk, etc. and save on the $$.  It would suck to commit and not have as many will-attends show and be stuck with that tab.  Plans change... but the tab won't.

• ATMA likes this
Posted Image

#10 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

"There is no age requirement, more of a height requirement as long as they can safely shoot over our tables (about 36" tall) at the targets down range."

Hummmm... since they are both taller than I am, I think we should be OK.   I'm pretty sure I can shoot over the table.

• KeyResults and TexasWriter like this
Posted Image

#11 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

"There is no age requirement, more of a height requirement as long as they can safely shoot over our tables (about 36" tall) at the targets down range."

Hummmm... since they are both taller than I am, I think we should be OK.   I'm pretty sure I can shoot over the table.

FunSize has shot there a few weeks ago.

Posted Image

#12 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:16 AM

count on at least one of us.  Mustard Devil, Nic says she would love to see your "cache of weapons".   :)

Tell Nic I will bring all the weapons I can "stash" in my Honda...If there is enough room.

She may have to settle for a picture :)

#13 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

I need to call the range and see if I can shoot this one there....Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum Bisley Model

https://scontent-a-o...7_1529236_n.jpg

Edited by Mustard Devil, 04 January 2014 - 12:23 AM.

#14 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

This is a rifle I put together from parts I bought...Timney trigger 4 lb pull, spikes tactical lower, DPMS 20 inch heavy stainless steel barrel:)

https://scontent-a-o...0_4501643_n.jpg

#15 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:56 AM

Excellent idea, Amberita, this beats rum-drinking by about three notches on the coolness scale. I'm in

#16 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:49 AM

Um, Dhaulaghiri, the first post says Sunday, Feb 9th... in the morning before they normally open.  I'd be interested.  I need some range time with my 9mm anyway.  If we get 20 people, it would be $20 each.  They have 10 handgun lanes and 5 rifle lanes.

Traveling Geek, their website says: "There is no age requirement, more of a height requirement. We strive to make the shooting experience enjoyable for everyone. Anyone under the age of 21 may shoot with a legal guardian as long as they can safely shoot over our tables (about 36" tall) at the targets down range."

Ooopsss..... Sorry, I missed that one.
So Feb. 9th it is. I'll see what Mrs. D. Has to say.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#17 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

Ugh. Scouts campout that day.  Forgot, with school starting back up I have no life till mid-March.  Then I'll only have somewhat of a life.  ;) 

But one way or another, I say roll with this.  This is a cool idea and needs to happen.  Maybe you can show them how much geocacher interest there is through this event and they can offer a special geocacher discount on an all-geocacher CHL class (after March).  :coolsmiley:   Or add cachers to the weekly discount list (like kids under 12 free Sundays, Ladies Night Thursdays, etc.)

Posted Image

#18 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

I would be interested in joining the group.  I do not have a gun but have been seriously considering purchasing one.  I was helping a customer at the store I work at and when she handed me her license for her information, right on the top it stated *concealed weapon*.  I guess that is a law in Texas.  I do not remember the exact words but it was on her license.  Other than just wanting to check out my fellow geocachers practicing their aim, I would like to join in on the fun.  

• KeyResults likes this

#19 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

count on at least one of us.  Mustard Devil, Nic says she would love to see your "cache of weapons".   :)

Since I dont think my Honda is big enough...here is a list of my "weapons cache"...

Pistols...

Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Model .44 Magnum

Para Ordnance Big Hawg .45 ACP

Springfield Armory XD .45 ACP

Kahr CW .45 ACP

Smith & Wesson 4006 .40

Taurus PT 92 9 mm

Browning Buck Mark 22 LR

Rifles...

H&R Handi Rifle 45-70

Mossberg ATR 30-06

Pedersoli copy of 1874 Sharps buffalo rifle 45-70

Magnum Research .22 magnum semi auto

Mosin-Nagant M91 7.62x54 R( WW2 russian military surplus... mine was made in 1942:)

Remington 5r milspec stainless steel action and heavy bull barrel .308

Ruger M77 Hawkeye .375 Ruger caliber elephant rifle

BSA . 458 WinMag in pieces :(

AR15 I built from parts 5.56 mm

Shotguns...

Mossberg 500 12 gauge 3 inch magnum

Remington 870 Express 12 gauge 3 inch magnum

I think thats all...will check and make sure :)

Edited by Mustard Devil, 04 January 2014 - 10:01 AM.

#20 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

Note to self:  Don't piss off Mustard Devil

• ATMA and Dhaulaghiri like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

0 user(s) are reading this topic