#21 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

Really nice!

IMHO, as it stands now, all focus is drawn to center of board, if that is what you want then you're done as far as the radial burst background. However, I think your instincts about neutralizing the background are good. It should be a trivial thing to swap background to more neutral textured which brings much more emphasis to the game track itself.

One other thought, is that by removing the background entirely to transparent for a version, then the paper color/texture itself can be selected for the occasion when printed. 

Just my .02

Oh, I wouldn't mind an ooch of drop shadow (couldn't resist - I'll shut up now) 

• cajunabear likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#22 cajunabear

cajunabear

• Senior Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Location77069

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for all the comments.  They help tremendously.  I may have misunderstood some, please forgive, but I think I incorporated almost all.  See two versions on this post.

I like the idea of making the track show out, so a black outline there.  Decentralized the middle area by filling in with plain white.  Part of the reason I like some type of background is that I use the background to cut the image to its extent by the color change on paper.  That being said, there is something to be said for using a white background to the track area, so I have shown that version.  I like the idea of adding a GPSr clip-art, but just have not figured how to utilize it - center, 4 corners, etc.

As you can see the suggestions paid off very well.  Thanks for that.

Attached Files

Now that we have exhausted all the possibilities ... Let's get started.

#23 cajunabear

cajunabear

• Senior Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Location77069

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

Will we want more than one ?  I was thinking it would work pretty well on foam core board.

For application like that, I'm a fan of 3M's Super 77 spay adhesive.  Good stuff!    

Great work for sure.

Foam core would be the way to go for extra copies, I like the idea of the folding travel board that the original game comes with, but not sure how the glue job will hold/wear at the folds.

#24 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

I still like the 'hallucinogenic' silver one better!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#25 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

Both options look really nice!   Although, I feel the plain background definitely offers more contrast - at least on screen.

Posted Image

#26 cajunabear

cajunabear

• Senior Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Location77069

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

Here is a tweak, NOT a twerk (lol), on the silver background image.  My intent was to make the GEOTrivailPursuit show better in contrast to the background.

With this change now I am not sure what version I favor.  Before it was the white background.

Attached Files

#27 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

Much better!   Background toned down and solid center. I like!!!      O0

Posted Image

#28 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:39 PM

Awesome

Posted Image

#29 cajunabear

cajunabear

• Senior Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Location77069

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

I think this will be the final image.  I incorporated a texture grey scale background with the geo-G and a GPSr in embossed relief.

Providing just enough of a background without being distracting.

The image is reduced to half scale for space and downloading ease.

Attached Files

• KeyResults and 2katz like this

#30 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Love the background on this one a lot better.  Looks awesome   O0

Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

Nicely done!
Posted Image

#32 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

I like the whole change-up. Great job!

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#33 cajunabear

cajunabear

• Senior Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Location77069

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for all the comments.
I did not mean to say I would not take more feedback. Only that the little rubber band in my brain was in need of winding back up. I'm out of ideas on this item.

#34 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:36 AM

done is done.  Great job!

Posted Image

#35 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

I concur. Nice job.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#36 cajunabear

cajunabear

• Senior Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Location77069

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

Thanks

May have been fool hardy, but I placed an image copy on the Milestones and Extremes Page.  Since then I have had 4 requests if we sell the game or have a list of requests.

Placing this  for JustKeely and Team Four Paw since you did such a great job.  The hard work is making up the question groups. I have sent Keely's GC.COM email to them.  Possibly a good fund raiser?!

I will be printing the last draft to place on the Trivial Pursuit board and a couple more copies for foam boards along with the question cards this week getting them ready for the planning meeting.coming soon.

#37 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,912 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

I'm afraid if you started trying to sell it, even as a fund raiser, Hasbro Gaming might come after you for trademark infringement.  Just sayin'

• cajunabear likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#38 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

I am not sure what the copyright infringement laws are and where the line is drawn, but right now I am kind of thinking that we just share the game.  It is meant to be played with a crowd at TXGA events, so people who are interested should just make sure to come to the Lone Star Roundup each year to play it.  We could probably give a few versions out at the Texas Challenge OR raffle them off the Silent Auction, so that the other regions could play at their events.  Would that be allowed?  Once it is finished, I am planning to bring it around to some events this year besides those two, to play.  Perhaps at more Geo-Family events at parks that we have been discussing taking turns hosting.

• cajunabear likes this
come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#39 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

Let me first state that I am not a lawyer, but my father was, so this is my opinion and not that of a legal expert.

In general, copyright issues exist to protect the livelihood of the copyright owner.  Consequently if you copy something that is copyrighted and sell it, you are, in principle, depriving the copyright owner of those sales.  If the copyright owner finds out and sues you, they most likely will win (since it is a clear violation of the copyright) and you will probably get stuck with the costs of the lawsuit as well.  Therefore it is in their interest to sue, even if there isn't a lot of revenue lost since you pay for the lawsuit.  However, if you copy something and give it away in small numbers, especially when it has been modified, they probably aren't going to bother you since they haven't demonstrably lost revenue.

If you are raffling off the questions/answers and giving away the board, I'm guessing that you might be ok.

• cajunabear likes this

#40 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,912 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

I specifically said trademark instead of copyright, because a copyright protects the authors of "original works of authorship", which in the case of the game I would take to be game rules, questions and answers, etc -- which probably aren't being copied here.  OK, maybe the layout of the game board is being blatantly plagiarized.  

A trademark is "a word, name, symbol or device which is used in trade with goods to indicate the source of the goods and distinguish them from the goods of others", ie, the name "Trivial Pursuit" written in the fancy script used on the board.

As long as you don't set up an Ebay store and start selling them online, my guess would be they have bigger fish to fry.

*I am not a lawyer, but I've watched lots of legal shows on TV*

• cajunabear likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users