• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed the Texas Highways article linked on the TGA site that talked about the the big Mega event down in Port A earlier this year. 

And, I don't really know a lot about the structure of TGA or "Houston Geocaching Society" to say the least, but about 5 years ago I was really into scrapbooking, (now a days I can't devote that much sedimentary time!  :o ) and when I was in college my nationally represented sorority had a historian position too...and, what I'm saying is, is there a site or already established way of remembering all the fun times of the SE Texas crew?

Because, as I read about "team Southeast Texas, with their hot-pink T-shirts and matching bandanas, engages in an intense-looking strategy meeting, making me think they are a bit more competitive than we are," I couldn't help but smile knowing that I've engaged in some conversation with probably most of that team & I'm pretty sure they remember it with a lot more interesting angles... that I'd enjoy reading about! ^_^

• TexasWriter likes this

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#2 Cache Control

Cache Control

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

All I can say is the 2012 challenge was cold, wet, muddy and one heck of a good time had with Taz, Ninja Kurt and The Boy.

#3 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

Soon the TXGA site will house a bit more history that will help as we will document the challenges and the past coins and such.  The historians on here are plenty as many of the long time Houston cachers are regular visitors. 

• JuleeD likes this
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,297 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

TXGA started in Early 2003 and aimed to be an official entity to promote geocaching across the state.

HGCS was created in mid 2005 to fill a need for local cachers to communicate and organize.
There is no official structure to HGCS. Just one guy that does his best to make sure the HGCS website stays up and runs smoothly.

There has actually been many many local forums around the state that have come and gone.
Why TXGA and HGCS have stayed around for as long as they have is a mystery to me.

Want some more History? Look at someone's profile. Snoogans for example. You can view all the events he has attended going all the way back to 2003. Seems like people were taking a lot more pictures back then.
Snoogans - 254 attended events
Snoogans - 53 hosted events
  • KeyResults likes this

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#5 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

Amberita, 

I have been working on a slideshow lately of events from 2006 to now to show at our wedding reception event Jan 11, and it has been really interesting to "relive" those memories and watch time unfold through the pictures, and laugh about some of the memories.  We could figure out how to add to that and make it a complete photo account of Houston geocaching.  We used to have some photos hosted on here, but it took up too much space.  Maybe we could set up a group Flickr account or something like that?  Someplace where people could post collective favorite photos and memories?

A scrapbook would be similar.  I made a scrapbook into a travel bug that I made of my first 500 cache finds, but I haven't pulled it out in a long time.  Maybe we could host a geocaching scrapbook event - people bring their pictures, stories, and supplies if they are interested, and we could start recording the local geocaching history.  The problem with that would be where to store it and display it.  

Just some ideas....

• KeyResults likes this
come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users