19 replies to this topic

#1 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:10 AM

In the 'finding archived caches' topic, HC suggested a new topic for discussion:  Brute forcing FTFs.  Thanks, HC.  ;)

We know PR doesn't appear to like series. So sometimes they go all at once, and sometimes they don't.  So a new series is out.  The first two or three publish.  PR sits on the rest.  You know there are more.

How do you feel about brute forcing FTFs on a series like this? 

• It's ok.  I've done it.  I'll do it again.  If the first one is published, all are fair game as everyone has knowledge the series is out there.
  • It's ok if you stumble across one, but not if you go actively looking for it.
  • It's ok if I find one/them, but not if others do it.
  • It's not cool.  If it's not published on gc.com, it's not considered available.
  • The chase shouldn't start till it's published, period.
  • Something else.

I think there will be a variety of differing thoughts on this and it will be interesting to see others' perspectives.  Do any of the statements above reflect how you feel?  Why / why not?

Posted Image

#2 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:29 AM

I've never done it, but I have no problem with it. I bet lots more of unrecorded hours have failed to find these vs found.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#3 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:34 AM

I have not brute forced a series but I have brute forced a few caches. 

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,700 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

Ummm, I guess I fall under the " It's ok.  I've done it.  I'll do it again.  If the first one is published, all are fair game as everyone has knowledge the series is out there." category.  I guess the CO could always delete your log if they felt you jumped the gun on it and they were anal that way.  I also agree with KR in that it is an activity with decidedly marginal returns for your geocaching investment.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#5 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,604 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:47 AM

I remember ATMA finding a FTF Trophy cache using a triangulation method before it was published. The older I get the more I take the meh attitude.

Edited by SockPuppet, 25 November 2013 - 09:48 AM.

• ATMA likes this
Posted Image

#6 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

I have done it and if I felt there was a reason to brute force a cache again I would try... Maybe if there was a big prize in the cache... The FTF trophy doesn't have that draw for me anymore.

On that note ATMA and I tried to brute force a FTF cache once and were within feet of it but couldn't find it in the dark after midnight.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

I've tried it twice and failed.  Curse you Aaron Barbee!

TXGA SETX Representative

#8 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,604 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

I tried to brute force a Pepper cache and didn't know it was a multi-cache. I walked right by the cache. Doh!.

Posted Image

#9 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

I do remember that one, OHG and can't believe how close we were to it.

That was the night I found a Travel Bug just laying in the woods that had fallen out of the grasp of a cacher that was going for a cache that used to be nearby. It had been there for quite a while.

I have done it and if I felt there was a reason to brute force a cache again I would try... Maybe if there was a big prize in the cache... The FTF trophy doesn't have that draw for me anymore.

On that note ATMA and I tried to brute force a FTF cache once and were within feet of it but couldn't find it in the dark after midnight.

#10 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

I don't think it is "found" until it is published, especially with an evenly spaced series.

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

#11 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,700 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

I got FTF on this cache, 60 days before it was published.  OK, it wasn't a brute force, just momentarily published, then retracted, the re-published two months later.

#12 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

As in the other thread, I don't have a problem with anyone else doing this. For me though, the cache needs to be published before i claim it as found. 

Again, on the cache series that's placed over this way but hasn't been published yet. I know one of the roads the caches are placed along and therefore, have no doubt i could find a few of them. I just don't see the fun in going out there and getting the ftf on any of these when i'm the only one even trying for them.

#13 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

I guess PAF are out for these huh? Also, no fair moaning about coords ;)
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#14 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:49 AM

The way to prevent this is to put in the reviewer note for each cache in a series that you want them all to publish together. I don't know what anyone else's success rate is when requesting this, but it's worked for me every time. Yes, PR doesn't like series, and he always seems to let people know that in one way or another....and one of those ways is to just publish a couple of them per day.

• KeyResults likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#15 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

The way to prevent this is to put in the reviewer note for each cache in a series that you want them all to publish together. I don't know what anyone else's success rate is when requesting this, but it's worked for me every time. Yes, PR doesn't like series, and he always seems to let people know that in one way or another....and one of those ways is to just publish a couple of them per day.

I gathered that PR wasn't into series too much since it took so long to get the first two installments of my ABPAGS published. Neither consisted of very many caches (17 in the first, 13 in the second) but it still took right at 10 days for each. I do have to say that when they did finally come out, they did all at the same time.

Now, if PR had published only a few of them at a time, then it wouldn't bother me at all if a cacher came along and brute forced the ones not yet published. Still not something i would want to do but i can certainly see someone else going for it because of where they are placed.

#16 Cache Control

Cache Control

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

As in the other thread, I don't have a problem with anyone else doing this. For me though, the cache needs to be published before i claim it as found. 

Again, on the cache series that's placed over this way but hasn't been published yet. I know one of the roads the caches are placed along and therefore, have no doubt i could find a few of them. I just don't see the fun in going out there and getting the ftf on any of these when i'm the only one even trying for them.

I wonder when that guy will ever publish said caches.   He hid them over a yr ago and there is more than 20 out there.  That cacher needs to be tared and feathered keeping them smiley's from us.

#17 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

I'll supply the tar!!!! :stirpot:

#18 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,700 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

I think I'll put out a series along a country road, about every .25 miles apart and number them "XYZ Series #01, XYZ Series #03, XYZ Series #05, etc.  and see how many people tear up the roadside looking for #02, 04, 06... in between the published caches. :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: >:D

• cachestacker, Cache Control, TexasWriter and 2 others like this

#19 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

I think I'll put out a series along a country road, about every .25 miles apart and number them "XYZ Series #01, XYZ Series #03, XYZ Series #05, etc.  and see how many people tear up the roadside looking for #02, 04, 06... in between the published caches. :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: >:D

I'll bring Blindzman with me. He's good at sniffing out those tough caches. Heck, he's so good that i bet he could find caches that aren't even there! O0

• Baytown Bert likes this

#20 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

Is there anything we can do to get him to stop looking like a terrorist though?    Maybe hang a couple of duck calls on him? :2funny:

Edited by Baytown Bert, 27 November 2013 - 10:07 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users