10 replies to this topic

#1 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:32 AM

I would think caches with geocheckers would get attempted and found far more often than ones without.  I understand this wasn't available years ago, so understand old caches don't have this and COs don't normally go update for the old ones, many aren't around, etc.

I get it if you've submitted a new puzzle and you want FTF to have to work for it.  But why the reluctance to not put a geochecker on a puzzle after FTF?  Why not even before?  IS there some puzzle aspect I'm missing?  The idea of trucking across town to do some only to find out I'm wrong for me means I'm done.  Especially where choices given mean there could be multiple answers (cache dependent here).

Posted Image

#2 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:06 AM

Yep. I like geocheckers. Solving a puzzle to go out, not find it and maybe find out that it's a "little off" or you never get a reply from the CO. Searched for one last week that way and still haven't found it and the adopted CO said it's off.
the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#3 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:21 AM

I really wish everyone would use checkers. It's nice to have that extra comfort of knowing you are going to the right place. Plus I like to copy and paste the coordinates from the Geochecker success page into GSAK. It avoids fat fingering the coords.
  • FamilieRyan, pindroppers74, KeyResults and 1 other like this

#4 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

I'm with KD. I really don't care much for many puzzles, but I'll admit that I do them occasionally and some I've even enjoyed. But I don't even touch them if they don't have a geochecker. I've had several experiences with puzzles (and multis for that matter) that were less than satisfying, so I don't even mess with them unless they're solid, new, and/or dependable. I update the coords on the actual cache page, then pull it into GSAK so the corrected coords are in both places for me.

My wife and I are going to do 66 puzzles (smiley geo-art) near Witchita Falls in a few days. Shocker, huh? :)

• FamilieRyan likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

I just added a geochecker to The Adventures of 1Geocacher -- after it has been out 9 years.  The only problem is there is some conversion involved that could make the digits off by one or two, depending on which conversion tool you use.  I was reluctant to use the "hand grenade" version of the checker to discourage guessing, but I think in this case it might be warranted.

There were a couple of the WSGA Geoart puzzles in Washington that didn't have checkers, but the caches included wording that "you will know the answer is correct when you find it", or some such thing.  On one, you eventually figured out you had to call a phone number that had a recorded message with the coordinates.  On something like that I don't mind there not being a checker.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#6 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

Unless the description or logs indicate some verification, or LOTS of recent, non-group, unrelated cacher found activity, I'm very unlikely to bother. Scratch that, it's a certainty. This is especially true for older Mystery caches, not subject to the 2 mile rule.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#7 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

ok...so what do you do with a puzzle that HAS a geochecker, but the link is no longer valid AND the CO hasn't checked in for about 9 months?  Just PAF who has already done the puzzle to check?

Posted Image

#8 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

Just consider it like so many other puzzles without one.  ;)

And yeah, you can always PAF.

Posted Image

#9 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

Yeah yeah... stupid question/stupid answer... I realized after I posted...

Posted Image

#10 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

ok...so what do you do with a puzzle that HAS a geochecker, but the link is no longer valid AND the CO hasn't checked in for about 9 months?  Just PAF who has already done the puzzle to check?

Which cache?  One of the geocheckers changed web hosts and thus the web address changed slightly and if the CO didn't update the cache page, it goes to a dead link (I think it's geochecker.com, but could be mistaken).  There is a way to manually type in the URL and still get to the revised checker.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#11 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

it is for geochecker.com.  I'm pretty sure I have some additional work on the puzzle...what I came up with easily doesn't seem to fit the log descriptions, but I know Hurricane Ike changed the landscape as well.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users