53 replies to this topic

#41 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

This for me was worth a lot since I have been guilty of this series dipping. What you suggest makes much sense to me. Which also may mean I require another hit of Cab... ;)
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#42 JuleeD

JuleeD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Understand that I wasn't talking about the occasional dips so that the owner knows that the TB is moving. I'm talking about people who cache on runs and dip it in every single cache they visit every single time they go out. That's my reference to what was annoying to me. You may have a month's worth of runs and hundreds and hundreds of caches and all of them are within a few miles of each other.

If you pick one up like to try and see if it has met its mission it's a lot of wading through lots and lots of random logs to find out.

Hmmm. I don't understand. Once I see that a trackable has a goal, I try my best to get it to the goal or move it toward the goal. I don't ever scroll back through all the logs to see if it had met the goal-why does it matter? If I happen to pick one up that says "Do 'blah blah blah' and then come back home", I email the owner to see if it met the goal and is ready to come back home. 

If it doesn't mention for it to come back home, I try to move it along toward the goal. I had one that wanted to visit cruise ship ports so I took it to Galveston, Miami, Puerto Rico, Antiqua, and Tortola (along with Zippertiff's TB that won the race last time).

When you pick one up that has a goal, you scroll through all of the logs to see if it has met its goal? What do you do with it if it has met the goal?

• green-eyed likes this

#43 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

I'll look through pictures of the TB to look for goals, and sometimes I scroll through to see countries or states visited just out of my own curiosity.  but like juleed, if I see it has a specific goal, but not a return date, then I try to move it towards it's goal.  I did have one early this year that wanted to come to Texas, then go back to Arizona to it's owner's dorm.  I moved it west to San Antonio to go towards it's return.  Otherwise, I'll try to dip a TB or drop in a specific goal if I can (beaches, gardens, lawns, zoo) and move it along on it's merry way.

• JuleeD likes this
the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#44 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

I discover them in place and leave them unless they've been stuck in a rarely visited cache for many months. Sometimes I'll retrieve a nice geocoin, but only because my wife loves them so much and I want to bring a smile to her face by bringing it home for her to see. The poor treatment of TB's in the US has pretty much jaded me on even messing with them.

• JuleeD likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#45 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:26 AM

I think people will personally add a another cachers activated coin and tb to their collection.  I have had many TB notices stating *Discovered at the XYZ event, thanks ABCcacher*.  I am like, wait, I own that tb, why is someone else being thanked for it.  

Also, accumulation of TB's is ideal so that when the next big event hits, they can switch out ones they want to trade etc.

I have been one to lose a tb, find it later, accumulate so I can make an enormous trade or just get rid of all I can because I am not as active a cacher as I once was....or was I ever?

Personally, when I let go of a TB or a coin, I let go.  People are gonna do what they want to do whether we like it or not.  I may get a surprise from a TB I let loose the day I started caching, but we are all different and take the seriousness of a tb at different stages.  Yes, it does get me mad when none of my tb's are moving at all, but as with everything their is risk, and that was the risk I took.

• Baytown Bert likes this

#46 cajunabear

cajunabear

• Senior Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Location77069

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

I know that feeling, hope to be as active as I once was as well.

Georeyna said...

...because I am not as active a cacher as I once was....or was I ever?

Edited by cajunabear, 14 December 2013 - 11:31 AM.

Now that we have exhausted all the possibilities ... Let's get started.

#47 Huff-Suter

Huff-Suter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSpring Tx

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

Well we are guilty of the "every cache dips" and some of that is driven over the years of learning some of the TB's are on races and some just so they can see where the TB's are at and where they end up.

To reply to your question, "Move it the next time I go caching if it will fit" generally is applied...while most bring to events to be discovered, we usually do not, we will "discover" the large ones that we have learned over the years we will have trouble re- dropping off at a cache, or will pick others up to help move them along.

I cant tell you how many times we get to a cache with that " large" inventory of TB's or coins and find NOTHING...that is one of the reason we have not released any into the wild....

I cant tell you how many times we have found TB's in containers that were never correctly dropped, and we have picked up and moved along. We had one cacher email all HAPPY, he had given up ever seeing his TB and we found it in the middle of nowhere in a cache that rarely gets visitors and wasn't listed to be in that cache.

One standard we like are the TPWD caches that are ammo cans and large enough and maintained caches that don't normally come up missing and you will find we will drop off TB's for the next soul that makes that hike, and will gain them a surprise.

Overall I agree that TBS are not treated very well for some reason....

Team Huff-Suter...
Cachin since-June 29-2011
Posted Image

#48 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

Lets see how long this lasts....handed a geocoin to camillabacher. It has "traveled" from
Houston to Denmark and was recently placed in a cache
in the East Midlands of England.
  • KeyResults likes this

#49 JuleeD

JuleeD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

One standard we like are the TPWD caches that are ammo cans and large enough and maintained caches that don't normally come up missing and you will find we will drop off TB's for the next soul that makes that hike, and will gain them a surprise.

Because I volunteer w/TPWD to replace missing ammo cans in nearby parks, all of the parks in the SETX area are on my watchlist.
TB's go missing from those caches more than any others I've seen. People are always logging things like "TFTC, no TB's", then you look at the inventory and there are ten listed.
I think it may be because those caches are usually where people start, they start out with limited knowledge of trackables, and they have kids.
The kids find the TB, the parent puts it in their backpack and it gets forgotten about.
Nice containers? Yep, but IMO one of the worst places to put a trackable.

• DangerKitties and rozowski5 like this

#50 JuleeD

JuleeD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

Oh, and BTW-you'd be surprised how often those ammo cans turn up missing.
  • green-eyed likes this

#51 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

I wouldn't mind volunteering to tether a few State Parks ammo cans next time they put them out.  I use eyebolts and steel cable to prevent them from wandering off.  Works most of the time.

I agree about not putting TB's in state parks caches for the very reason you mentioned.  I had one of my HGCS coins I released go to Sea Rim SP and disappear from a cache there.  All the finders but one who logged the cache between when the coin was put in there until I visited the cache and verified that it was missing, though, had over 200 finds -- most with 1000's of finds -- so that is kind of surprising.  Bummer

Edited by HoustonControl, 05 January 2014 - 07:54 PM.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#52 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

I try to move them with 2-3 weeks and if I cannot move them I will bring them to an event to have someone else move them. I once drove to Conroe is the dark to move a very large TB called the Flatulent Friar a Dreamcacher TB.

Posted Image

#53 Quossum

Quossum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSouthwest

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

I like moving trackables and we've even planned trips based on getting a trackable in my possession closer to its goal. I try to move trackables in my possession within a month, but sometimes it ends up being longer, especially if I keep finding micros (or mislabeled smalls! Go to a "small" because I've got a small travel bug that should fit in one...find a soda tube that couldn't accommodate a Pathtag. Grrrr....). There's also the issue of finding a cache of the right size...but it's wrecked, or wet, or otherwise unsuitable for leaving a traveler. No thanks, I don't think any tb owner would mind me keeping the bug another week instead of leaving it in a compromised cache.

I don't like the willy-mildly visits, but do try to visit the bug to an interesting cache on the expedition if I couldn't find a cache where it would fit, just so the owner knows it's out there and active. I try to take picture, too.

I wish more newbies were more conscientious about trackables. I like the idea of encouraging them to Discover only until they've decided to be committed to the hobby.

--Q

#54 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

Because I volunteer w/TPWD to replace missing ammo cans in nearby parks, all of the parks in the SETX area are on my watchlist.
TB's go missing from those caches more than any others I've seen. People are always logging things like "TFTC, no TB's", then you look at the inventory and there are ten listed.
I think it may be because those caches are usually where people start, they start out with limited knowledge of trackables, and they have kids.
The kids find the TB, the parent puts it in their backpack and it gets forgotten about.
Nice containers? Yep, but IMO one of the worst places to put a trackable.

I fully understand and agree with this statement. Yesterday I was out at Brazos Bend(my third time there since started caching) and I have several TB's I was needed to drop off. Very shortly into my caching day I noticed almost every cache page said it had several TB's inside but in reality not even one had any! Most logs on those cache pages only said things like; "TFTC", "first ever!!!!!!!", "geocash", "(insert name) found it". So needless to say I kept all of the TB's in my backpack and I am saving them for another day and another cache not in a state park.

Edited by DangerKitties, 20 January 2014 - 02:36 PM.

• TexasWriter likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users