• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

We are still new to caching in some aspects - and our processes are still evolving.  My kids love TBs but I have learned that we hang on to them way too long so I am trying to not take anymore.   Usually I keep them safe in a bag to be brought out to events but since we rarely see any caches bigger than a micro I don't drag them around with us when caching.  They are just too tempting for little fingers to play with (lose) so I keep them in my office.   We usually pick them up on vacations and then dump them in an event cache to pass them along.   The most important thing to me is to just not lose the little buggers! 

I really heard the note about remembering that they are not our TBs just because we are carrying them.  I had one I found in Rome I carried for probably 5 months because it was just so beautiful.  I loved to show it to people at events.  Finally I had to make myself give it up because it wasn't mine. (I feel like Bilbo with my Ring right now!) I am currently carrying a German Maus TB that we have had since September.  I guess I need to find a place to pass it along.  I did put a TB today in .jpeg's Hear It Is cache because it is the only one near me that is big enough and safe. 

The good thing is that R1 travels quite a bit and we log a LOT of miles on TBs.  Last month he took one from he found at IAH to Russia, back to TX then to the UK and left it there.  Not too shabby!  But of course, he didn't manage any photos which would have been neat.  We really need to work on photos. We worked really hard on that in the beginning but after not hearing a peep from the owners we gave it up. 

#22 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

We really need to work on photos. We worked really hard on that in the beginning but after not hearing a peep from the owners we gave it up.

Good point. Actually, it is rather unsatisfying, and sometimes a lot of work, to fulfill some of the trackable missions, i.e. photos at specific places, and see or hear nothing in return.

I guess there's karma?

Anyway, it takes a lot of effort sometimes, and its hard to know if the Trackable owner even cares. Not sure how they would show their appreciation anyway, except for that Golden Rule thing. Perhaps that's yet another aspect  of the game that I have not been schooled on properly.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#23 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

Dang, talk about anal.  Whoops (blushing!)

TXGA SETX Representative

#24 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

I agree on the distaste for TB's being dipped in every cache someone visits -- even when they're not mine.  I'll pick up a new trackable that has the goal to go to some certain cache or location then return "home".  I start going back through the logs to see if it has met it's goal yet and have to page through 35 pages of it being dipped in every cache the last cacher visited before I can see where it really has been before.  Same thing if I'm trying to see if I've already discovered a trackable.  "Yeah, I already discovered this one 6 weeks ago.  There's my log on page 126." :knuppel2:

I'm surprised gc.com has not implemented a "discovered or moved on date X/X/X" like they show you found a cache or attended an event.  But wading through to see if a trackable has reached a goal can become tedious at best because of dipping.

We really need to work on photos. We worked really hard on that in the beginning but after not hearing a peep from the owners we gave it up.

Good point. Actually, it is rather unsatisfying, and sometimes a lot of work, to fulfill some of the trackable missions, i.e. photos at specific places, and see or hear nothing in return.

I guess there's karma?

Anyway, it takes a lot of effort sometimes, and its hard to know if the Trackable owner even cares. Not sure how they would show their appreciation anyway, except for that Golden Rule thing. Perhaps that's yet another aspect  of the game that I have not been schooled on properly.

I get a lot of space themed ones sent my way.  So I take them to Rocket Park for photos of the rockets an dip or place in an STS cache and upload the geoart.  If I go, I usually take all the bugs I have and do the same.  I often get e-mails from owners, especially owners overseas.  We forget that outside of the local are NASA is a big deal.  We take it for granted here.

Likewise, I usually drop a quick "Thanks for the photos" e-mail when someone posts pictures.

Dang, talk about anal.  Whoops (blushing!)

Bert, are you still talking about trackables?  Or is this the start of an entirely different conversation?  lol. 

• Kirbydox, Baytown Bert, KeyResults and 1 other like this
Posted Image

#25 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:55 AM

My four favorite TB's came up missing in the first several months of their short little lives (the last one came up missing after being dropped in the Texas Challenge event last year...go figure), which solidified my lack of desire to even deal with them any further.  The only TB's I have left in the wild are only alive because they made it outside the US to another country where they are being treated properly. I sometimes discover them in place and leave them in the cache they are already in, but sometimes I don't even do that. The only time I retrieve them is when they are in a cache where I am FTF and I'm unsure whether they are an FTF gift or not (and I'm going after another FTF so I don't want to stop and check online). Other than that, I don't even mess with them. Call me jaded.

• KeyResults likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#26 JuleeD

JuleeD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

One of mine was dropped in the GC Block Party in August....where it remains to this day-along with >130 other trackables. Over the last several months I've wondered if it is sitting in a box somewhere in Seattle or if someone who attended the BP picked it up and didn't log it. 

You would think (or at least hope) that the staff at GC would know better than to permit the trackables to sit around and collect dust and that geocachers who are interested in caching enough to attend BP would know how to log a trackable.

#27 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

I'm pretty sure I keep TB's for on average 3 months. I don't think I've ever moved one around the Houston area...I only take them along for trips, like from Houston to Dallas, from Dallas to Galveston, etc.

This weekend I held on to a Galveston one I'm taking to Lost Maples SNA & picked up a "Go West" USB & logged to the owner it won't be moved until a Janurary ski trip to Colorado.

If you want your TB's leaving Houston I'm your gal! (I prefer State Parks for drop offs too :))

There's a little shock factor for LPC's for me

• KeyResults likes this

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#28 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

Trackables have a poor record once they are dropped into Mega events, for some reason. I believe they are all picked up, it's just by lazy or irresposible cachers that don't log them out properly. I dropped a new geocoin in GeoWoodstock IX in Pennsylvania, only to have it languish there for TWO YEARS.  Eventually, someone grabbed it, saying they found it "dumped in a cache" (this was a cacher who coincidentally also attended GW IX -- go figure).  The coin disappeared out of the next cache it was placed in, so I have a feeling it never made it there in the first place.  :knuppel2:

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#29 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

I do not understand (I'm not being critical here, just can't cipher the logic and this is my direct way of getting to the bottom of something) why anyone would routinely take a trackable out of circulation for even one month, let alone 3 or more.  Why take it at all?  Just discover it.  It doesn't belong to you.  The owner hasn't asked you to hold it.  It could be moving instead of collecting dust on your desk.

Of the 18 trackables I've released, none of them survived due to some variation of this behavior.  I re-released about 10 copy tags since they were so far gone and of those only 5 are still circulating.  I had to tell myself it's just a game and to quit worrying about them.

I am going to teach 2 geocaching 101 classes this Sunday and I will urge the students to DISCOVER them over grabbing them.  Trackables here in the USA have a very short life span and I hate to say it, but the Europeans seem to repect that portion of the game better than we do.

I made up six really cool feral hog tusk trackables and sent them out only to watch them rapidly disappear.  Since then, when I get my hands on more tusks, I give them as collectable gifts to my favorite cachers instead of sending them out.  The tusks are hard to come by, or more of you would have one by now.  The dissapearance of geocoins and TB's has gotton so bad, that I am remiss to send out more, so when I grab one... I move it asap, usually less than a week and mostly due to work conflict.  YMMV and no hard feelings intended, but reading this thread, I would take a look at how trackables are handled.  Peace.

• GASTX likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#30 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

I made up six really cool feral hog tusk trackables and sent them out only to watch them rapidly disappear. 

You know *that* is why they disappeared.  A TB can't be too cool or it gets taken.  Period.

I wouldn't teach discover only -- but maybe practice discover only if you can't hot potato move it.

• KeyResults and Dhaulaghiri like this
Posted Image

#31 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

If everyone just discovered a trackable when they found one in a cache, it would never move.  I've lost several trackables when caches were muggled and the last 3 cachers just discovered it and I ended up wishing one of them had taken it instead.  I agree with the trackables in the USA having a very short life span vs Europe and I'm not sure why that is.  Maybe it's the short American attention span thing were were talking about the other day, Bert.

I have about 20 of the 110+ trackables I released into the wild still moving, and most of those are coins and tags I released in the past few months.  Maybe I'm an idiot, but I keep releasing them for some reason.

#32 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

"I wouldn't teach discover only -- but maybe practice discover only if you can't hot potato move it."

It''s a geocaching 101 class.  I also teach not to hide one until you find 50.  I'll definately explain the difference in discovery and grabbing though.

I have two unactivated TB's on my desk and gave two as presents the other day, so I'll keep sending them out as well.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 21 November 2013 - 10:36 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#33 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

Glad I didn't have to steal a bb tusk! But, it does not leave my sight at events, along with a few others that are special. Bert, holding a trackable for any period is almost always related to its mission or goal. "Visit NASCAR Race Tracks" or "Be photographed with Baytown Bert" require some planning man! I discover and pass often. I also LOVE to exchange TBs if frequent traffic and activity.

Edited by KeyResults, 21 November 2013 - 10:57 AM.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#34 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

I have two unactivated TB's on my desk and gave two as presents the other day, so I'll keep sending them out as well.

my gifted TB from you has been activated and i'm bringing it tonight to share at the ABC.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#35 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

I think this is going to have to be a "agree to disagree" topic for me.

I consistently hold on to tb's, (we're talking 2 at a time), because I believe in quality caches rather than quantity. It made sense to place a "skelaton fish" TB to the Dinosaur bone site state park overlooking the river than place it in a LPC.

I'm an active everyday cacher, if someone has a problem with that, they can contact me directly,(I even encouraged the Co trip TB owner to do so).
  • green-eyed likes this

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#36 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

... or "Be photographed with Baytown Bert" require some planning man! I

No doubt.  That man is difficult to find.  Even more rare to see a photo of him.  Imagine getting a photo of the TB with him.

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#37 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

Most of the TB's in my possession, I've only had for a week or two.  I did notice I've had one that I pick up at the Block Party in August and, though I've dropped and retrieved it from a couple of events and dipped it here and there, I've failed to move it along yet.  After dropping it and retrieving it from the West Side event yesterday, I got an email from the owner saying, "Thanks for keeping our Hana girl tag safe.  Appreciate the updates too."  That made me feel nice.  B) 

• Kirbydox likes this

#38 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

Well, I am probably guilty of being one of those that drives cachestacker nuts.  I sometimes hang on to travel bugs for months at a time - I would like to say maybe 3-6 months in some cases - but only when it is a favorite of mine at the time, or I want to take some cool pictures of it for its gallery, or take it to accomplish its mission, or make sure it is safe before I let it go. 

I don't really like dipping the TBs just for the sake of dipping, but I do occasionally log the travel bugs I have on me as visiting 1-2 of my favorite caches of the day, esp if I took pictures there. 

I like to leave TBs in caches because I like to find TBs in caches.  However, most caches are not big enough, not safe enough, or not dry enough for TBs, so then I end up trading them at events.

come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#39 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

I'm not out there caching every day like a lot of you so I do usually log a TB as visited when I find a cache that I can't drop it in.  I hadn't thought of it as something that might annoy anyone until now.  I figured that the owner would be glad to know that it hasn't been lost or forgotten about.

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#40 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

Understand that I wasn't talking about the occasional dips so that the owner knows that the TB is moving. I'm talking about people who cache on runs and dip it in every single cache they visit every single time they go out. That's my reference to what was annoying to me. You may have a month's worth of runs and hundreds and hundreds of caches and all of them are within a few miles of each other.

If you pick one up like to try and see if it has met its mission it's a lot of wading through lots and lots of random logs to find out.

Edited by cachestacker, 10 December 2013 - 05:55 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users