53 replies to this topic

#1 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

I know not everyone is into trackables.  And if you don't mess with them, then you don't need to say anything here.

I'm not a trackable Nazi.  I know we all cache at different paces and, sometimes, things happen, life gets in the way, etc.  We also deal with trackables differently.  Personally, I don't like mine being dipped in every dang cache someone goes to.  Dip it in a new state, country, a 'worthy' cache that has some historical factor, cache coolness factor, photo opportunity, an EC or event, etc. but not every single traditional you come to.  But that's just me.  Some people like to do that.  Really, I don't care - just not my preference.

But seeing some of mine held by people for ages (6 months, 9 months, +) without really being moved irks me.  They are taking them to events and they get discovered but they don't get handed off to anyone or actually dropped anywhere.  And the cachers ARE caching - actively.  They could be dropped to be picked up by someone and moved with the randomness that is the TB/GC game.

There are good reasons people hold them a long time.  Life events.  Snow.  Holding for a trip to take it somewhere.  (It's nice when they log it as such so you know).  Maybe a kid has it and can't get out like an adult cacher.  But I think some trackable holders, especially ones who have tons of them, forget the trackables are not theirs.

Considering 'normal' cachers (think the broad base of all gc.com membership here, not us elite HGCS cachers) don't go caching every day, some even not every week :uglystupid2:what is your definition of a reasonable time to hold onto trackables in 'normal' conditions?  (i.e., not in the north buried under snow up north in winter, no illness preventing holder form caching, not holding to take on an upcoming trip, etc.).  And, do you actually practice that way (most of the time)?

Do you find yourself in one of these categories:

Move it at the next opportunity available

Move it the next time I go caching if it will fit

Move it at the next event I attend or next time I go caching after an event

A few weeks is fine if I find a place to put it

A month

A couple months 

Or something else?

There's no wrong answer.  Just looking for peoples' thoughts.

Posted Image

#2 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

With the proliferation of micro's in this area, it's sometimes hard to find a cache big enough for a trackable.

Posted Image

#3 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

Move it at the next opportunity available.  I see them as hot potatoes.  I ocassionally will dip them to let the owners know they are still active if I can't cache or find a container that wil hold them.

TXGA SETX Representative

#4 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

With the proliferation of micro's in this area, it's sometimes hard to find a cache big enough for a trackable.

This is why I will leave a trackable under a suitable LPC skirt.

• JuleeD likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#5 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

I have been known to dip into most caches I visit that the TB is with me, or in the car, when I visit just so the TB owner knows I'm not holding and forgot about it.  Just nice to know that it's remembered and moving around... I have a couple that I released that seem to have gone missing or the cache is not found but once every 6 months.  Annoying to see it's not moving, but I know that's to be expected.  Still sad... 

I have a micro coin I released and for a long time, the person in possession was really active and took pictures of it in awesome remote locations.  Then all movement stopped.  Even the geocacher stopped and it's been 3 months or so.  I sent a polite note asking if they were still caching and if not, I'd pay to have it returned to me.  He wrote back, said he's on a job assignment and had wanted to take it to great remote locations, but he hasn't been allowed to cache on the job and apologized.  That's fine with me too.  I know it's not forgotten.  Hopefully.

Somehow I end up with all your giant TBs.  Dragons, Mr. Potato Head, big coiled up blue snakes.  These are even more difficult to drop at a cache.  First, you have to find something big enough.  People even want to give me bowling balls that are TBs and I managed to escape that one for now.  I know I must have "sucker" written across my forehead... 

But I try not to hold a TB longer than a month unless I know I have somewhere good to take it in the future.  Not always possible to drop at a cache, so I'll take to an event and trade out with a person.  But I really do try to take them to caches instead of leaving them at an event table to be picked up.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#6 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Everyone needing to move big TBs -- GE won't take them.  But PB02 will if he's at the event.  ;)

Posted Image

#7 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

Everyone needing to move big TBs -- GE won't take them.  But PB02 will if he's at the event.  ;)

good thing he doesn't make as many events....  :stirpot:

Posted Image

#8 FamilieRyan

FamilieRyan

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationN29 43.150, w095 45.800

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

I usually keep them for 1-3 months depending on mission, where I am traveling, etc.  Also, I try to make sure I put them in a "safe" cache as I do not want the TBs or coins to go missing, and that usually takes a bit of time.  Also, I don't mind when I receive a note from a TB owner asking me to move it along, sometimes I forget how long I have it.

#9 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

Great topic!

I suppose I tend to keep em on the longer side too. I'm guessing a month or more. Also, I am one to "dip" my non-owned inventory often too. So I'm dismayed by your comment about not loving that practice. Who knew? Because I've never had a Trackable survive in the wild more than a few months, I don't know what it's like to have a lot of feedback  on TB movement. :( Seriously. 

Because of my personal bad luck with Trackables I've set free, I've gotten real skiddish about dropping somebody else's Trackable in a geoCache or "in" an event. I prefer to know to whom I've passed it along in person while caching or at an event. I've not yet had anybody tell me to move a Trackable along, so I suppose my internal clock or average holding time to release seems acceptable albeit pretty dynamic.

Two things that really make one look bad are: 1) Being last to find on a missing geocache, and 2) Being the last to possess a missing Trackable!

• green-eyed likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#10 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

I like finding travel bugs and moving them along, so I am dismayed that lots of people don't seem to want to place them in caches.  We don't make many events since we live relatively far from most of you and that means that the only way we find them is to find them in a cache.

When I find one, I will often move it as soon as I have a reasonable opportunity to do so.  I usually drop them into a cache that is a new find for me rather than into one of our caches.

If I have travel plans (and the preferences of the owner of the travel bug allow this), I might hold on to a TB longer than usual.  I have one right now that I found this past weekend that I intend to take to California over Thanksgiving.

I am also surprised that you don't like seeing your TBs travel from cache to cache.  We went to Turkey this past summer and had a couple of TBs along.  One wanted to end up back in the Dallas area, so we ran up some miles in it before releasing back into the wild here in Texas.  The owner sent us an email thanking us for the ride. ;D

#11 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

Two things that really make one look bad are: 1) Being last to find on a missing geocache, and 2) Being the last to possess a missing Trackable!

makes me think about what happened to the TBs in quite a few of cajunspongebob's caches that he archived on Monday... he had so many of them, I wonder if he's just leaving them there or picking up the actual caches?

Posted Image

#12 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

I often contact the owner if holding on to one will give me a chance to put some miles on it. I currently have three that are all picking up over 20,000 miles.
Posted Image

#13 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

I am also surprised that you don't like seeing your TBs travel from cache to cache.  We went to Turkey this past summer and had a couple of TBs along.  One wanted to end up back in the Dallas area, so we ran up some miles in it before releasing back into the wild here in Texas.  The owner sent us an email thanking us for the ride. ;D

Off the main point - but wanted to explain.

This is just me, and know others may like just the opposite.  I like it being dipped in caches in new places - new countries, states, etc. and for significant miles to document the overall route.  Go to Turkey?  Please dip and post a photo.  Even if it's been there before.  Dip in Dallas before you go to North Dakota or Canada?  I guess, but not really needed.

Dip it anywhere you are willing to post a photo or have something to write about the location it visited.  Anything 'worthy' of a dip or photo.  A cool cache location or container.  Neat photo op - ie., a virutal or EarthCache.  Something historical.  Mega event.  etc.  But when you go do a series, or just a cache run all over and there are X number of them but nothing special, I don't need 15 pages of logs to see if it has actually 'been' anywhere.   I had two get dipped in ALL the ET Hwy caches.  Sure, the highway bends and it's a few extra miles.  I don't care. 

But that's just me.  I figure the mileage, for the most part, is pretty much the same end to end wherever it's going.  Adding .1, .12, .24, 1.06 miles at each stop only cuts down the bigger start and end point mileage overall.   But, I'd love it dipped in ET1, Golden Arrow (NV's oldest -- or some title like that), and neat places along the way, etc., like (say) ET 1774 - with a photo of the old settler's house there.  But the 19xx caches in between?  Pass.  Again, just me.

I've actually seen a number of TBs called :   "NAME xxxx x xxx xxx  (NO DIP) "     for that reason.

Back on the main point:

As TG said - I will log a note for at TB and ask the owner "you want me to move now or hold 2 months when I go on my trip to wherever?"  Give them the option. They usually want the trip for miles, photos, and knowing it's safe in the meantime.  But not always, and when not I honor their wish and move it along.

I generally try to move bugs along and probably equally distribute at events and place in caches.  I like finding them in the wild, too.  I try to keep one in my STS series and will place others in caches where they fit.  I tend to lean towards putting them in newer caches that come up so they get picked up quicker once placed.  For me, unless some cool event is coming up, like the Night Paddle event, I try to move along within 2-3 weeks, but sometimes have them a month or more.  That life thing.  I don't think a month is unreasonable if your first priority is not caching.  I'd be happy anyone holding one of mine moved it within a month.  I realize it can sit in a cache for a long time, and that's fine.

But sometimes, getting people to unload their inventory is a challenge.  Even when it's been with them far, far longer.

Posted Image

#14 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

makes me think about what happened to the TBs in quite a few of cajunspongebob's caches that he archived on Monday... he had so many of them, I wonder if he's just leaving them there or picking up the actual caches?

If a cache is archived and there is a TB in it the owner of the TB gets a automated message from GC so they should know something is up and contact the cache owner.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

I have a wheel for a 1963 chevy nova ...could put a tb
on it then decide who to force it..excuse me...give it to......
Insert evil grin:)
  • Dhaulaghiri likes this

#16 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

There used to be a folding lawn chair that was a TB. It would be left at events and the last to leave would have to deal with it.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

As Bobby hasn't seen most of hos caches in over three years, I doubt he plans to pick them up.

#18 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

I think this thread is good luck!!  One of the ones that I mentioned that had been sitting in the same cache for nearly 6 months was just retrieved!  By the same person who left it, no less.

Posted Image

#19 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

Kevin, I guess I tend be the same as you except my event to cache placement ration is more like 3 to 1. Again, unless I am really sure a cache is safe AND will be visited in the next two or three weeks I will not drop it. 

SIDE BAR:

I know it was off the point, but the dipping bit was very useful and it makes sense. With the BFF's overwhelming preference for series in big batches, I'm actually surprised someone never mentioned it to us.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#20 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

I tend to hang onto TB's for several months.  I'll dip them here or there or log them in and out of events so the owner knows I haven't lost them.  I also don't shy away from leaving trackables in caches, but I try to pick ones that don't appear to be at risk of being muggled.  Finding a cache big enough to put them in is another thing.

I agree on the distaste for TB's being dipped in every cache someone visits -- even when they're not mine.  I'll pick up a new trackable that has the goal to go to some certain cache or location then return "home".  I start going back through the logs to see if it has met it's goal yet and have to page through 35 pages of it being dipped in every cache the last cacher visited before I can see where it really has been before.  Same thing if I'm trying to see if I've already discovered a trackable.  "Yeah, I already discovered this one 6 weeks ago.  There's my log on page 126." :knuppel2:

• Team Troglodyte likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users