32 replies to this topic

#1 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

Just curious what people do here.  A prior thread got me to wondering on this.

Maybe you weren't prepared for a stream / swamp crossing. 

Maybe it got too dark and searching became impractical. 

Maybe too much bushwhacking for what you wanted.

Maybe you found it's up in a tree and said forget it.  Maybe you can even see it but still said no way.

Maybe an impenetrable wall of water hyacinth keeps you from going up the bayou to it.

Do you DNF these or post notes, and why?

For me, I tend to only log a DNF if I actually got to GZ, really looked, and can't find it.  If I do get there and can't find it, DNF. 

But if I really couldn't get to GZ, to me, it's not a DNF.  It may be there, but if I can't get to GZ then I can't even tell if I can find it or not.  And if I get to GZ and see it but choose not to get it and SL, it's a note.  It's definitely there, but I'll admit my defeat.  For the time being.  A DNF on that seems contradictory.

Because of GSAK filters, depending upon location, the cache with lots of DNFs may get filtered out of normal 'searches' and end up on HC's list -- and not necessarily because it's not there. 

But is that what's best?  Just curious how others approach this.  Maybe there is a different or better way of looking at things.

And don't get me wrong.  I'm not afraid to log a DNF.  This isn't about that.  This is about when you don't even make it to GZ to look for it.

Posted Image

#2 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

My thoughts and approach are exactly as you described, and for the same reasons. I just had this conversation yesterday with a veteran cacher and put forth my thoughts (which mirror yours, Kevin), and he agreed. I've had DNF's on my caches when they should've been notes. I've also seen and experienced GSAK filtering out caches because they had one or more DNF's, but when you dig into it you find that it was multiple newbies, multiple people who didn't "get it" (or didn't get to GZ), or something along that lines. If I've given it my best search and can't find it, it gets a DNF. Anything less gets a note or nothing until I can come back.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

Ditto.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Ditto the ditto

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Ditto #3

Edited by ClanStan, 18 November 2013 - 04:57 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,158 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

Oh, now I feel bad about posting a DNF for that micro cache in the bamboo, that I looked for twice yesterday....   :blackeye:

http://www.geocachin...c0-22331ecd5793

Edited by Mr Muddy Buddy, 18 November 2013 - 03:33 PM.

• TexasWriter likes this
Posted Image

#7 Benttandem

Benttandem

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

I never feel bad about posting a DNF after searching thru that #$@% bamboo. :tickedoff:

• ~windknot~ likes this

#8 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

I DNF every cache I drive by but don't have time to stop and look.  I DID NOT FIND IT.  :stirpot:

In all seriousness I do log a DNF only if I have searched for the cache and can not find it.  I will write notes for other issues etc.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

Oh, now I feel bad about posting a DNF for that micro cache in the bamboo, that I looked for twice yesterday....   :blackeye:

http://www.geocachin...c0-22331ecd5793

Hey I remember that one. :>)

#10 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

Concur with consensus

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#11 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

I guess we have approached some things differently.  I have to admit that I haven't given any consideration to what GSAK does because we don't use it.  We only log smileys if we find it and sign the log (or had the log in hand but it was so incredibly soaking wet we literally could not sign it without destroying it).  It has irked me from time to time to see people logging finds that they did not find and sign the log.  I know that I shouldn't be judgmental and that I should just let it go, but it bothers me to see a lack of integrity in others.  So if I make it to ground zero and cannot sign the log, I will probably give a DNF and provide details in what I log to let others know what the issue might have been.

Having said that, if I never made it to GZ, I don't log a DNF.  And if I didn't really look for a cache due to time constraints for example, I won't log anything.

• TexasWriter likes this

#12 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

I had someone couch-cache my entire Warriors series (the numbered ones anyway). Talk about a lack of integrity....that's just plain bizarre!

#13 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,373 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

When I'm loading my GPS for a caching outing, one of the macros that I use in GSAK is to filter out caches with 2 or more DNF's.  I realize that many of these are still legitimately there and were just DNF'ed by newbies or people that should have written a note instead or by a group all caching together.  However, with the surplus of caches everywhere it's easy enough to be picky now about what we go after and try to avoid wasting our time on caches that may no longer be there.  When caches were scarcer, we used to go after the caches with DNFs and looked at it as a challenge to try to find one someone else couldn't find but we don't have near as much free time to go caching any more as we used to, so we want to actually find some caches rather than come home with a bunch of DNFs.

• Team Troglodyte likes this
Posted Image

#14 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

I'm one of the few who think like this. 

For me, a search for a cache begins when i punch "goto" and start heading for the cache, with intentions of finding it. If i don't find that cache, for any reason, it gets a dnf. Of course i post an explanation in my dnf log (ran out of gas on the way, too many muggles, didn't have right tool, just couldn't find it, etc,,) to give future finders an idea of why i submitted the log.

As far as gsak and the little red dnf squares go, i don't look strictly at those by themselves. A cache with 3 dnfs may give an indication that it's missing but if you read the logs, you may discover that those 3 dnfs were made by 3 different cachers who couldn't search for the cache because of muggles or something else beyond their control. DNF = Did Not Find, nothing more. For some reason, many people seem to think it automatically means a cache is missing.

To be honest, i kinda like going for caches that have dnfs on them. Makes them even more fun if i do happen to find them.

#15 Cache Control

Cache Control

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:03 AM

I had someone couch-cache my entire Warriors series (the numbered ones anyway). Talk about a lack of integrity....that's just plain bizarre!

. Is that why you deleted my logs? I was trying to see how many consecutive days I could log a find without ever really finding a cache.
  • JuleeD likes this

#16 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:17 AM

. Is that why you deleted my logs? I was trying to see how many consecutive days I could log a find without ever really finding a cache.

Lol, now that's a great goal...and apparently one that TrailHunterD set since he logged series all around Houston that he never actually found. I don't mind outing him since he doesn't mind having zero integrity. When I geo-mailed him to inquire he tried to cover it by lying. Pathetic....the whole thing.

• Cache Control likes this

#17 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:20 AM

If I spent the time and really looked hard for a cache, I will post a DNF. If I look and do no find, I generally don't post a note, knowing that I merely gave it a cursory glance and will be back for a more thorough search. Once I give it a fair shake, a DNF will follow, if need be.
Posted Image

#18 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

When I'm loading my GPS for a caching outing, one of the macros that I use in GSAK is to filter out caches with 2 or more DNF's.  I realize that many of these are still legitimately there and were just DNF'ed by newbies or people that should have written a note instead or by a group all caching together.  However, with the surplus of caches everywhere it's easy enough to be picky now about what we go after and try to avoid wasting our time on caches that may no longer be there.  When caches were scarcer, we used to go after the caches with DNFs and looked at it as a challenge to try to find one someone else couldn't find but we don't have near as much free time to go caching any more as we used to, so we want to actually find some caches rather than come home with a bunch of DNFs.

I do the same thing except I filter at 3 DNF and move those to another database and periodically refresh them and move them back to my default DB when the find count swings back the other way. Some 3+ DNF caches stay in my default DB if I know the cache is really there (as in one of BB's by the Baytown mall that gets lots of DNF's but BB checks on it and it is just a good hide). Benefit of living in a cache rich area.

I also will load up the high DNF caches and go on a hunt for them when the mood strikes.

I log DNF's if I cannot find the cache whether I spend 5 mins or 45 mins looking.

Posted Image

#19 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

But what about when you set out but never really get to GZ to look?

Posted Image

#20 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

then I might post a note.  Depending on the situation on why I didn't get to look.  Or if I got to GZ and looked some, but not well enough.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users