19 replies to this topic

#1 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

If you can't find it, use a throwdown.  Log posted for a cache I found recently:

"We are on a 23 county quest and dont have extra time to hunt for caches that either aren't there or coords off. We looked around quite a bit first. We put a cache at the correct coords in the trees. If someone wants to hunt for the original, go right ahead. This is our XXXXXXX county cache."

The original cache was there and reasonably close to the coordinates (I redacted the county name).

#2 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

I would delete the find. That is bogus.

• cachestacker and green-eyed like this
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

I would delete the find. That is bogus.

I agree

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#4 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

I have a tree-climber cache in the Warriors series. A guy went and did about 8 of the series and DNF'ed half of them (all of them were there, were found by two other people the same day, and had explicit location info in the hint), but on the tree-climber he claimed a find despite not signing the log. The ratings are accurate on the cache (D1, T4.5) and are that way for a reaon (to provide this unique D/T rating on the NW side of Houston for Fizzy folks). It's clearly a tree-climber by the name, the description, the attributes, the logs, etc. and could easily be skipped.

Here is the guy's log: "Ok. Folks. This 260 pound man is NOT going up that scrawny tree. A picture should suffice."

Several people in excess of 200 lb (some well in excess) have made the short climb (15 - 20 feet). I've debated about deleting his log or emailing him, but I've done neither yet. Input?

#5 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

I have a tree-climber cache in the Warriors series. A guy went and did about 8 of the series and DNF'ed half of them (all of them were there, were found by two other people the same day, and had explicit location info in the hint), but on the tree-climber he claimed a find despite not signing the log. The ratings are accurate on the cache (D1, T4.5) and are that way for a reaon (to provide this unique D/T rating on the NW side of Houston for Fizzy folks). It's clearly a tree-climber by the name, the description, the attributes, the logs, etc. and could easily be skipped.

Here is the guy's log: "Ok. Folks. This 260 pound man is NOT going up that scrawny tree. A picture should suffice."

Several people in excess of 200 lb (some well in excess) have made the short climb (15 - 20 feet). I've debated about deleting his log or emailing him, but I've done neither yet. Input?I kn

I know one who weighs more than 260LBs (I am not saying how much more) that climbed up it and dropped the lid and had to go down and back up again!

• TexasWriter likes this
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

Delete.

Posted Image

#7 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

Two logs prior to the throwdown was a pic of the cache and the note coords were 40 feet off.  Just saying.

Edited by log dawgs, 18 November 2013 - 11:15 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

Delete
Posted Image

#9 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

This used-to-be-250+ lbs man went up plenty of trees at the age of 54+.  If you don't want to climb it, fine, but don't log it as a find.  Delete.

• cachestacker likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#10 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

Delete

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

Delete.

I've passed up  a few tree climber caches, that I felt were out of my abilities.

There are plenty of other caches out there...

Posted Image

#12 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

Why I haven't gotten steel magnolia by my house. If I cant climb it I cant log it. Honor thing I guess
Posted Image

#13 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

Tealcat and I bushwhacked a long way to a the base of a tree (a holly).  Looking up, I could see that yellow container, just dangling there, taunting me.  I took a look at the twisted, mangled skinny branches and decided that this was a well deserved DNF.  Maybe we should create a new phrase--FBDNSL (found but did not sign log), and maybe get a fraction of a smiley for it? :2funny:

We took our DNF knowing full well that the D/T ratings were based on the need to climb that tree.

I will admit that if we had had one of the younger Normettes with us, I might have sent him up the tree to sign the log.

TW, I say delete the find.

Edited by TheNorman, 18 November 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#14 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

Two logs prior to the throwdown was a pic of the cache and the note coords were 40 feet off.  Just saying.

I thought you were talking about mine at first, so I went back through the logs....and then realized you were responding to Trog. Lol. My "duh" moment of the day...

#15 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm not a log-Nazi and have only ever deleted logs from someone that couch-cached a few of my hides (and several other people's), but despite it being a game, there are some basic tenets I think should be followed. Sounds like those who responded feel the same way.

• GASTX likes this

#16 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

Nuke it.

There are many of my hides I personally am willing to let slide, whether a mistake or couch caching. But not on a cache that has high Difficulty or high Terrain. Especially true when many have made the honest effort and logged it as such. It just ain't right. I think Kelly largely concurs. If it's a true 4 or 5 they need to autograph it without prior CO approval.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#17 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:19 AM

I said a picture would suffice dagnabbit!  :angel:

TXGA SETX Representative

#18 Cache Control

Cache Control

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:33 AM

Several people in excess of 200 lb (some well in excess) have made the short climb (15 - 20 feet). I've debated about deleting his log or emailing him, but I've done neither yet. Input?

. I know a cacher who weighed more than 250 climbed a tree with branches you could close two fingers around to reach a cache that the other two (way smaller cachers) climbed, just to say he did do it. Some thing about a smelly shoe up tree makes ya have to look closer.

#19 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:10 AM

My BFF is correct, I agree. - DELETE! There are some other circumstances when you can't legitimately sign a log (
Posted Image

#20 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:13 AM

Oops sorry bout that, bumped phone... (Wet log, can't wet the dang thing out even with tools....), but just cuz you see it and don't feel like reaching or climbing, ahh I don't think so. At least in my humble opinion.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users