7 replies to this topic

#1 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

How important are accurate coords? Does the hide rating, location, or any other factor make a difference? What are your "best practice" or "rule of thumb" procedures for new hides? Are they expectations you have for others? Sound off...
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#2 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

They should be within 1/4 mile, give or take... :2funny:

I always use Google Earth to fine tune my coordinates when placing a cache.  Contrary to what some others may say, I find them to be very accurate.  In the woods or an open area where GE doesn't help much, I try to either wait until I have a good satellite signal (<8' or so) before marking the location, or use the average coords function.

• TexasWriter likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#3 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:39 AM

I use the exact same process as HC described....I use Google Earth to verify wherever possible. When placing woods hides where GE doesn't help me, I use the Mark Waypoint feature on my Garmin 62S, then walk it down a couple times and do a Reposition Here from the menu as many times as necessary. If possible before it publishes, I'll return at a different time (when different satellites are overhead) and walk it down again. This last part I use particularly when I'm publishing a series (e.g. bike series), where I'll go through the entire series myself just to check coordinates. Once I have the numbers as good as I can get them (whether it's one cache or 25 of them), then I add 20 feet to the coordinates and cut the difficulty in half so I can make it more fun for searchers. Lol. Just kidding on this last part. :D

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#4 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

Good stuff! I must say, with experience caching in an area, you come to associate an accuracy factor to certain CO's. That goes for highly accurate, to the middle of a WalMart or a freeway median. I suppose it tends to work out by reputation, and longest since found!

When I was starting out, I would look for Muddy Buddies logs to see if they offered their own coords when I had doubts. I had a lot of confidence in their coords from GBP TEXAS series. That they posted their own coords in their log meant a smiley for me more than once in the woods. A practice I believe is useful to say the least. It's worth noting that the coords become inaccurate because the container has "creeped" over time. This practice of posting your coords not only helps others following you, but alerts the CO too.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

I use 3 geocachers and when they can't find it, I go out and change everything including the difficulty rating.  It works every time.  :angel:

Edited by Baytown Bert, 12 November 2013 - 10:23 AM.

• TexasWriter likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

Good stuff! I must say, with experience caching in an area, you come to associate an accuracy factor to certain CO's. That goes for highly accurate, to the middle of a WalMart or a freeway median. I suppose it tends to work out by reputation, and longest since found!

When I was starting out, I would look for Muddy Buddies logs to see if they offered their own coords when I had doubts. I had a lot of confidence in their coords from GBP TEXAS series. That they posted their own coords in their log meant a smiley for me more than once in the woods. A practice I believe is useful to say the least. It's worth noting that the coords become inaccurate because the container has "creeped" over time. This practice of posting your coords not only helps others following you, but alerts the CO too.

I agree with you about MB's posting coords in their log. When I was a newb (last week) I used their coords several times, and I took their example as mentoring in how to help my fellow geocachers who come after me. I can't say that I always take coords, but more often than not.

You're also right about reputation by coords. I never wanted to be "that guy" so I kept working at it until I found dependable ways that worked best for me. All kidding aside on Bert's hide, I've always found his coords to be really good. Same with HC's, you (Kenny), Kelly, and a whole bunch of others. Conversely, there are folks that I knew would be 30 feet off or more every time, and it actually helps knowing that in advance, because then when I get to GZ I just use geosense instead of the coords.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#7 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:42 AM

Found This Cache today.  Parked in the first spot west of the sign and when I got out, my GPSr was pointing at the tailgate of my truck (exactly where the coords show to be in Google Earth -- see attached thumbnail).  There was a good hint and I used it to find the cache about 34' south on the guardrail by the street.  I posted alternate coordinates in my log.

Coincidentally, BB's log said the coordinates were "dead on", so I think I see the problem here...  The newbie CO must be using an Oregon!  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Attached File  Capture2.JPG   87.01KB   3 downloads

• KeyResults likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#8 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

Holey moley!  I just checked my Oregon and realized it was manufactured in Australia... I've been holding it upside down all this time.  Geeze!

• cachestacker, heftydude, 2katz and 2 others like this

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users