25 replies to this topic

#1 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

So what are some of your favorite or quirky stories about being muggled while geocaching?

I just got back to my office after trying to search for Arrow-Space during my lunch break.  I park next to where it should be and I have two options of places to look.  One resident has the garage door open, but is at the end of the street and no where in sight.  He was in sight very quickly after I got out of the car.  Conversation starts by "Did you lose something in the tree?" and since residential muggles can be quite territorial, I chose the "No, just looking at the tree" route.  He then walks over nearly a block to start talking more.  Dave was full of questions and I tried to high-tail it out, but nope...stuck in discussion... It's not like I look menacing in my dress and heels, so I'm obviously not trying to vandalize anything.  I told him (truthfully, just not in full detail) that I often go driving and looking at trees in the area during my lunch break.  Dave then invites me to lunch with him and friends to get fajitas nearby.  Really?  You've chatted with a crazy lady in dress and heels who was looking at a tree for all of a few minutes and you invite to lunch?  And it wasn't his way of trying to get rid of me either.  I had to find a way out of there.

A few weeks ago, Juleed and I were searching trees during lunch together and we were stopped by not as friendly residential muggle, asking if we were looking at the red bud tree.  He also asked if we were going to take pictures and if anyone else could join us. 

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#2 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

C'mon, Jennifer, has the "Just looking at a tree on my lunch break" ever worked? You need a hardhat, neon yellow vest and a clipboard, square those shoulders and tell them you're a biologist checking the trees for yellow toxin-spitting beetles that are spreading into the area from Channelview.  

Or have fajitas with Dave, you decide.

#3 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

The tree was half dead... my topic of trying to figure out why half was good and half was dead could have been valid...  A hardhat and my heels do not a plausible combo make.

Posted Image

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

A hardhat and my heels do not a plausible combo make.

You never know what some people are into....

Maybe Dave does.

Edited by cachestacker, 11 November 2013 - 01:43 PM.

Posted Image

#5 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

ugh...

come on.  you guys have to have a good story too.

Posted Image

#6 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

I have the same problem.  Every time I stop in a neighborhood women come out and ask me to lunch...  Hello!

• heftydude likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#7 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

Is that the neighborhood that was on the news last week?

#8 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

ugh...

come on.  you guys have to have a good story too.

Dave, Bert and I were hanging out under a tree, thinking about fajitas...

#9 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

My story involves little dialog, and a little bit of pee - on the part of the owner and the canine she was walking - on a remote trail in Bear Creek. Fluids passed and sphincters tightened, in reponse to a grubby, bloody, bearded, six foot six inch, 295 lb, maniacal looking Dude wielding a Machete and crashing clumsily from dense brush just feet in front of her and her companion on the trial. Twas a B-movie scene if ever there was. I don't know which of them blew their tanks, but I smelled fear in the air, lots and lots of fear. Paralyzed for words, I could only stare and pray she wasn't armed, or if she was packing, hope that she was a bad aim.

Uhhhhmmm... I bet you're wondering what I am doing aren't you?  

"No No, it's okay whatever it is...really..."

But, don't you...

(as she and her pooch backed, turned and walked swiftly away with speed and grace)

Whiff they were gone!

I always felt bad about that.

• Baytown Bert and green-eyed like this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#10 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

I see the heels as more of an issue than the dress.  However, it also happens to be easier to fix.  Carry a set of dress flats in you car.  The dress, dress flats and a day glow safety vest and I think you could have sold your story.  

Eagle

Posted Image

#11 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

if you want wear heels the I will drop 100 caches in my yard and you can find them and I save money and time on aeriating my yard. please wear at least 4" heels. the grass will thank you.
Posted Image

#12 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

heels give me an extra bit of height.  they come in handy for tall caches.

Posted Image

#13 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

if you want wear heels the I will drop 100 caches in my yard and you can find them and I save money and time on aeriating my yard. please wear at least 4" heels. the grass will thank you.

LMAO.  I try to not wear stilettos while caching in the grass... something a tiny bit more substantial.

• GASTX likes this
Posted Image

#14 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:48 PM

My story involves little dialog, and a little bit of pee - on the part of the owner and the canine she was walking - on a remote trail in Bear Creek. Fluids passed and sphincters tightened, in reponse to a grubby, bloody, bearded, six foot six inch, 295 lb, maniacal looking Dude wielding a Machete and crashing clumsily from dense brush just feet in front of her and her companion on the trial. Twas a B-movie scene if ever there was. I don't know which of them blew their tanks, but I smelled fear in the air, lots and lots of fear. Paralyzed for words, I could only stare and pray she wasn't armed, or if she was packing, hope that she was a bad aim.

Uhhhhmmm... I bet you're wondering what I am doing aren't you?  

"No No, it's okay whatever it is...really..."

But, don't you...

(as she and her pooch backed, turned and walked swiftly away with speed and grace)

Whiff they were gone!

I always felt bad about that.

I guess you left your chainsaw and leather apron home that day?

• KeyResults likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#15 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

HC: Those are probably the only two things, other than a hockey mask, that would have made the situation worse - I'm certain she tells this story often as she warns family and friends about the dangers of the Addicks Rsvr/Bear Creek area.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#16 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

The Bear Creek area can be interesting... back in the day of summer racing training, some of us would ride through Bear Creek and Cullen Park, then train at the velodrome for hours.  The one week, it stunk to high heaven.  Some of us, myself included, kept commenting on how big the deer must have been that died in the woods.  Turns out, it was a human body. 

I was outed yesterday at "Why Not a Panda" by a toddler.  I was wearing a bamboo green windbreaker and powerdog02 was in orange, but I was the one found amongst the bamboo by a one year old.  He just didn't want to go away and kept looking at me.  Mama came over to get him and saw me, then told her family "La Senora!!" so I had to get up and make powerdog02 come out as well.  We'll be back...

Edited by green-eyed, 11 November 2013 - 07:34 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:52 AM

GC4F2E0 ▼ Clapper Rail 

My mind has been whirling non-stop since I learned I missed one of the LA caches and today, I drove over to rectify that and stopped here first. There were two fishing muggles on the dock, so I put on my bright green work vest and walked over with my Garmin Oregon 550 in hand. "Don't mind me folks, I'm doing an inspection," I said. "Are they going to replace this structure, sir?" "No, but inspections are all part of keeping everything safe for the public, Ma'am."

• KeyResults likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#18 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,373 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:09 AM

GC4F2E0 ▼ Clapper Rail 

My mind has been whirling non-stop since I learned I missed one of the LA caches and today, I drove over to rectify that and stopped here first. There were two fishing muggles on the dock, so I put on my bright green work vest and walked over with my Garmin Oregon 550 in hand. "Don't mind me folks, I'm doing an inspection," I said. "Are they going to replace this structure, sir?" "No, but inspections are all part of keeping everything safe for the public, Ma'am."

That's hilarious.   Were you able to say it with a straight face? 

Posted Image

#19 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:25 AM

I never batted an eye or even looked up.  I simply conducted myself in a very professional manner.

• KeyResults likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#20 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

I was searching for a cache in Friendswood years ago near a retention pond.  They were doing significant dirt work on the pond with earth movers and giant dump trucks rumbling in and out, but it looked like the cache might be safe in the trees along the edge.  At least from a distance it did.  I parked near the other worker's vehicles, put on my orange vest and hard hat and begin walking along the edge of the work site, looking at my GPSr.  A foreman in a white truck pulled up and asked, "Are you with the survey crew?".  Without hesitating I said, "Yeah, I need to check two more markers down this way."  He nodded and drove off.

I got to GZ and it was in the middle of all the construction, so the cache ended up being archived.

• KeyResults and amberita13 like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users