22 replies to this topic

#1 Shane Valentine

Shane Valentine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

So far as of todays hunt, I noticed I need - insect repellent...lots of it - bigger pants (with a tight belt) - a good excuse (to tell the humans) - boots! All terrain boots lol - a confident not "I'm a creep just creeping around" look lol - the sight of an eagle or a mom in a store on black friday o.O - logic. -_- - patience more than all of the above lol -_- Did I miss anything?

#2 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:43 AM

What you NEED is to team up with a veteran cacher.  You can share security and knowledge.  If your avatar is even a distant facimile of what you look like, Mustard Devil will spin his truck tires to come "help" you learn.  :angel:

Edited by Baytown Bert, 28 October 2013 - 03:44 AM.

• TexasWriter and Dhaulaghiri like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#3 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:20 AM

Um.. Bert I dont have a truck:) Shane... I would be willing to team up and go caching.
If you make it to Berts workshop event next Saturday we coul talk more about it.

#4 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

I agree with Bert that it really helps to get some initial mentoring from someone. Many of us made do in the initial stages without any mentoring, but I think all of us will tell you that we learned some lessons the hard way (or a harder way) compared to how it would've likely gone had we been with someone who had at least a few hundred (or thousand) finds under their belt. There are lots of gals near downtown, midtown, etc. that have done a fair amount of geocaching.

Baytown Bert's Geocaching 101 event is a great place to learn about gear, what's recommended for different caching environments, what's out there and available, etc. There is a ditch on both sides of the road....one ditch is where you are under-prepared and end up with war stories (and maybe a scar) to tell....the other ditch is where you are over-prepared and end up selling a lot of stuff on this discussion forum because you found you didn't need it for your own personal leanings, propensities, caching habits, caching environments chosen, etc.

Above all, remember that it's a recreational game, so it's meant to be fun. If some component of it is (or becomes) not fun, overly serious, unpleasant, etc. you just have to pull back, reassess, and dive back in a little differently. Most folks that find a few hundred end up being long-time cachers, and some of us are downright obsessed with it (I won't mention any names....Baytown Bert....whoops :D). There are some really great people in the caching community around here (too numerous to mention), and geocaching events are the best place to begin to meet them.

Have fun out there.

• Dhaulaghiri and JuleeD like this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

Well said.  I want to throw out a couple of things to consider.  There are a whole bunch of women who enjoy this game, but our hobby takes us to a lot of secluded places, some of them down right scary, even for us extra hairy and masculine men (see TexasWriter).  So, what to do?  Team up with two or three other ladies for a day of fellowship and smilies.  Unless you know the guy very well, I wouldn't suggest going off in the woods with him either - I know, that sounds harsh, but like I said, some of the places are very secluded - like this one:  GC46GWM

Many of us macho men go solo and many of us have a concealed handgun permit, as do some of the ladies.  I started out slow and went solo for a long time, learning everything I knew to a certain point before teaming up with HoustonControl, Kirbydox, Rich & Lola, and others and this really bumped up my knowledge base.  The events, which are listed on the main forum page are an excellent place to rub shoulders with other cachers too.

Now that cooler weather is coming, there will be more mash-ups and there is no better place to learn about caching than going with a group, whether it's on foot, in a car (Jeep), bicycle, or kayak.

Like my frind TexasWriter said, I am indeed obsessed with the game.  It allows me to let loose, have fun write funny logs, take outrageous photos to post on the logs, and get outdoors.  See sample photo:

b49eaa3a-5a1c-4330-8f62-658b0569ef59.jpg

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

And some of us are FTF obsessed....TexasWriter..did I say that out loud? Ooops:)
When you meet Bert ...ask about his wigs and those teeth!

#7 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

And please know that those are the best teeth we could get for Bert. His actual teeth (that he has left) are much worse....if you can imagine that.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#8 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

Bert invented the toothbrush.  Anyone else would have called it a teethbrush!  :2funny:

• TexasWriter, JuleeD, GASTX and 1 other like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#9 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

Bert invented the toothbrush.  Anyone else would have called it a teethbrush!  :2funny:

Invented bubba teeth as well to help the looks out.
Posted Image

#10 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,815 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

I would try some caches that are larger and in people friendly parks.

Posted Image

#11 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

Ask TexasWriter what he knows about dragons falling apart and large amounts of gorilla glue or was that someone else?

#12 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

dragons are on a NTK basis.

• Dhaulaghiri likes this
the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#13 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

Still looking for a new home for the fella ;)

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#14 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

you have your farewell event this week.  you can't possibly take a dragon on your honeymoon...perfect time to send him to a new cacher to protect!

Posted Image

#15 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

you have your farewell event this week.  you can't possibly take a dragon on your honeymoon...perfect time to send him to a new cacher to protect!

My plan exactly!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#16 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

Well said.  I want to throw out a couple of things to consider.  There are a whole bunch of women who enjoy this game, but our hobby takes us to a lot of secluded places, some of them down right scary, even for us extra hairy and masculine men (see TexasWriter).  So, what to do?  Team up with two or three other ladies for a day of fellowship and smilies.  Unless you know the guy very well, I wouldn't suggest going off in the woods with him either - I know, that sounds harsh, but like I said, some of the places are very secluded - like this one:  GC46GWM

Many of us macho men go solo and many of us have a concealed handgun permit, as do some of the ladies.  I started out slow and went solo for a long time, learning everything I knew to a certain point before teaming up with HoustonControl, Kirbydox, Rich & Lola, and others and this really bumped up my knowledge base.  The events, which are listed on the main forum page are an excellent place to rub shoulders with other cachers too.

Now that cooler weather is coming, there will be more mash-ups and there is no better place to learn about caching than going with a group, whether it's on foot, in a car (Jeep), bicycle, or kayak.

Like my frind TexasWriter said, I am indeed obsessed with the game.  It allows me to let loose, have fun write funny logs, take outrageous photos to post on the logs, and get outdoors.  See sample photo:

b49eaa3a-5a1c-4330-8f62-658b0569ef59.jpg

All this talk about ladies of geocaching...when does the calendar come out? ;D 

Actually, are there even 12 of us in existence?! (ACTIVE, Houston women cachers... 8) )

• green-eyed likes this

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#17 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

Actually, are there even 12 of us in existence?! (ACTIVE, Houston women cachers... 8) )

yes... we do have more than 12 of us.  we could just about have a clear lake area women calendar! 

Posted Image

#18 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

yes... we do have more than 12 of us.  we could just about have a clear lake area women calendar! 

You could name it "C.L.A.W" Calendar

Edited by ClanStan, 28 October 2013 - 07:46 PM.

• Dhaulaghiri likes this
Posted Image

#19 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

I only have 5 Berty Tubes...don't make me make a series!  :smitten:

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#20 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

I only have 5 Berty Tubes...don't make me make a series!  :smitten:

5 more makes a full set of C.L.A.W protectors and a nice round number for a series. :)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users