29 replies to this topic

#1 Shane Valentine

Shane Valentine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

Soooo on my first attempt, I tried one close to my gmas house, which was crazy cuz who would've thought that ppl hide things in that neighborhood?! So I noticed the last time it was found was 2 years ago...so I guess that must mean something lol so I went anyways, and first thing I came across with is that it was a public place and when I parked my easy to disguise vehicle (being sarcastic I drive a red jeep) haha ppl were straight up staring at me, then the security lady came and asked me if I was there for the event I was like "umm no, I'm waiting for a friend" so when they finally went inside I got off and started looking, and I found....mosquitoes, bees, mud, thorns lots of thorns if my hands can say so lol and a bunch of trash and dogs! God i felt like a mailman on a new route lol, I gave up looking since more ppl were arriving to the event they were having, but I'm definitely going back! But as for now no first cache for me, or perhaps I should try an easier one even if its far lol
  • GASTX likes this

#2 Shane Valentine

Shane Valentine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

Note to self, for geocaching a belt is required, cuz gosh I felt like a plumber haha

#3 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

What is the GZ number of this cache please?

TXGA SETX Representative

#4 Shane Valentine

Shane Valentine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

Idk let me check all I know is that is called Veterans

#5 Shane Valentine

Shane Valentine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

Is this it GC34NXC?

#6 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

Next time try these caches near NASA.... GC4MYQK  and GC4QKBH

They are easy to find.

You could try them next weekend if you go to this event... GC4P2MC

#7 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

They are easy to find.

There are soooooo much other caches nearer to where she is! Why not try a few in Hermann Park or DownTown itself? Sundays are normally good for DownTown caching ;)

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#8 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

They are easy to find.

There are soooooo much other caches nearer to where she is! Why not try a few in Hermann Park or DownTown itself? Sundays are normally good for DownTown caching ;)

Free parking is a big plus on Sunday's but you can buy a hopper parking pass and move around.

Posted Image

#9 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

Looks like HoustonControl found it but it was a bigger container. It is now a soda tube not a Berty Tube on 20lb fishing line. There is a hint but satellite recon looks to be in the middle of an empty lot.

Posted Image

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

GC34NXC is beside a Veteran's hall.  I looked for a few minutes and there was all kinds of stuff on the ground, so I left and haven't made my way back over there.

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

They are easy to find.

hey - do you have to go through the right of way for the rest stop?  PD02 was in shorts and it was waaaay muddy today to go through it with the skeeters.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#12 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,384 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

Dhaulagari, I don't recommend sending any newbie downtown for their first cache.  The bounce downtown is horrible so you aren't getting a good enough signal to really guarantee success of finding a cache.  If you have a phone though you can sometimes use the satellite view to see what corner the cache is supposed to be on as long as the hider has double-checked their coordinates to make sure it's appearing on the correct side of the street.

• pindroppers74 and green-eyed like this
Posted Image

#13 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,868 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:18 PM

I remember that cache at the Veteran's Hall... sorta.  I want to say the coords took me to a fence corner or some kind of fence feature and the cache was right there.  In the Google Street View picture below, the fence kind of jogs where it changes color and the cache was in some sort of nook there.  The CO did verify it was still there just a couple of weeks ago.  Yeah, not exactly the best neighborhood though.

f4bfff5f-0da6-4a72-91f6-2dd168e26994.jpg

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#14 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:24 PM

Dhaulagari, I don't recommend sending any newbie downtown for their first cache.  The bounce downtown is horrible so you aren't getting a good enough signal to really guarantee success of finding a cache.  If you have a phone though you can sometimes use the satellite view to see what corner the cache is supposed to be on as long as the hider has double-checked their coordinates to make sure it's appearing on the correct side of the street.

I agree about not doing downtown caches straight away, on the other hand, if they're close.... Why not? And she did mention she uses a phone to cache. I've found quite a few caches downtown and with the hints most of the time they're not too hard to find.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#15 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

HC your new profile pic scares me.

• TexasWriter likes this
Posted Image

#16 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

Impressive, HoustonControl, that you can remember a lot more of this cache 2 years ago that I can remember of a cache 2 weeks ago!

The plumber reference did make me smile & remind me that sometimes I feel like THIS geocaching  :D

1238717770-1lg3fancyladybum.jpg

• heftydude and Dhaulaghiri like this

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#17 Shane Valentine

Shane Valentine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

I remember that cache at the Veteran's Hall... sorta.  I want to say the coords took me to a fence corner or some kind of fence feature and the cache was right there.  In the Google Street View picture below, the fence kind of jogs where it changes color and the cache was in some sort of nook there.  The CO did verify it was still there just a couple of weeks ago.  Yeah, not exactly the best neighborhood though.

well I looked there but it was muddy and bunch of mosquitoes plus there were ppl there for a baby shower, so I'm going back tomorrow :)

#18 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:35 AM

I looked there also, but at the time, there was about a foot of sycamore leaves all around the fence and blown trash.  If IS a poor neighborhood, but that this side of Houston out to Beltway 8 can be scary.

TXGA SETX Representative

#19 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,868 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

Who doesn't love a clown?  OK, it's Penneywise the clown from Stephen King's "It" movie, but Halloween is upon us and someone didn't like my Freddy Krueger avatar...

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#20 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

Who doesn't love a clown?  OK, it's Penneywise the clown from Stephen King's "It" movie, but Halloween is upon us and someone didn't like my Freddy Krueger avatar...

I liked Freddy better than the clown.

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users