#21 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

I get it!   I won't offer any assistance in the future!!     :-X

I would say the same.... Except the lone dissenting voice is a FTF Hound! :stirpot:

#22 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

Kelly, I wasn't trying to shut you down. I was only trying to share what my experience has been and that of others since it sort of busts the myth that in general texts notifications are faster. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. Last night they definitely weren't. Bottom line is that we are all at the mercy of Groundspeak's notification system and our cell service providers. That's why I watch both texts and emails. My problem is that texts give me an audible alert while emails do not, so when the emails hit my device first, I'm usually slower to catch it. I wish my device would allow me to set an audible alert for just Groundspeak emails, but it doesn't.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#23 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

I would say the same.... Except the lone dissenting voice is a FTF Hound! :stirpot:

My voice is not lone. There are plenty of people experiencing exactly what I described. Just keeping the facts out there....unless you'd rather not have the facts....

#24 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

No worries!!! Was messing around!
Posted Image

#25 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

It is good information you've shared and all FTF hounds should know!
Posted Image

#26 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

Yeah, was just trying to help people avoid expectations that wouldn't be consistently realized. I thought when I set up text notifications it was going to be my best method of notification. Boy, was I wrong. Got totally messed up by it several times and then realized there wasn't one consistent "best method" because of the dependencies on Groundapeak's servers and the various cell service providers. It keeps it interesting at least!

#27 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:37 PM

Back to the original question....

Once you get the email being sent to you, I use Gmail filters to assign different Labels.  Then I use an app called "Gmail Label Notifier" on my android phone to set different alert tones and volumes for the different Labels.    My New Cache label makes sure I know when a new cache is out.

Have fun.

Posted Image

#28 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:13 AM

Once you get the email being sent to you, I use Gmail filters to assign different Labels. Then I use an app called "Gmail Label Notifier" on my android phone to set different alert tones and volumes for the different Labels. My New Cache label makes sure I know when a new cache is out.

Have fun.

I'm sure this is "the simplest way" to you Greg. :D
  • GASTX likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#29 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

LOL

Posted Image

#30 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

Once you get the email being sent to you, I use Gmail filters to assign different Labels.  Then I use an app called "Gmail Label Notifier" on my android phone to set different alert tones and volumes for the different Labels.    My New Cache label makes sure I know when a new cache is out.

Have fun.

I like to keep things simple. My gmail account is used only for geocaching notifications so there's no need to assign different labels. If it's a gmail or gmail text, then it's a geocache published notification.

#31 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:16 AM

When the validation email arrives on my Android the return link to validate it isn't valid:

Sorry, the link you followed to get here is invalid.

TXGA SETX Representative

#32 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:00 AM

I am going to assume your browser doesnt log you in to the gc.com site when you click the link. Maybe the problem. I did mine from my pc and all worked ok.
Posted Image

#33 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:47 AM

It wouldn't go when I typed it in online after numerous attempts on my PC either.

TXGA SETX Representative

#34 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

I set mine up using ProMed Rick's instructions as well and also had trouble with the notification link.  I couldn't click it on the phone because it was a 400 character string (give or take) and the text broke it up too much.  I ended up typing it in manually and eventually got it.  That said, I'm not happy with it.  All my GC notification emails were coming to my main email account.  When I added the email address to my GC.com notification screen to text to the phone, I had to choose one or the other -- so I lost notifications to my regular email.  When I received the first text from GC.com, I added the "number" as a contact and set a distinctive tone for that contact.  But each notification text that comes in comes from a different number, incremented by one, so the distinctive tone thing doesn't work.

I dislike having push email notifications sent to my phone, so I may just drop the whole thing.

• Baytown Bert likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#35 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

I set mine up using ProMed Rick's instructions as well and also had trouble with the notification link.  I couldn't click it on the phone because it was a 400 character string (give or take) and the text broke it up too much.  I ended up typing it in manually and eventually got it.  That said, I'm not happy with it.  All my GC notification emails were coming to my main email account.  When I added the email address to my GC.com notification screen to text to the phone, I had to choose one or the other -- so I lost notifications to my regular email.  When I received the first text from GC.com, I added the "number" as a contact and set a distinctive tone for that contact.  But each notification text that comes in comes from a different number, incremented by one, so the distinctive tone thing doesn't work.

I dislike having push email notifications sent to my phone, so I may just drop the whole thing.

If you have a gmail account, then you can get it to forward the notification to more than one place. I set mine up to send to my main aol email account and as a text to my phone. Of course it also sends to the gmail app on the phone too, but since that requires data usage, i never leave "auto sync" on the phone enabled. In otherwords, the text comes in instantly but i won't get the email notification until i enable sync or manually bring up gmail.. 

I set mine up by doing this,,

First make sure you set up gc.com to send your notifications to your gmail account. Log in to your gmail account page, go to settings, then click on the "forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab. The first item is whether you want to disable or forward incoming messages. Click on "forward a copy of incoming mail to" and then click on "add a forwarding address" just below that. You can add email addresses and your phone text address as well.

For text, i have ATT so mine was 4091234567@txt.att.net

I'm not sure about having them come in under a distinctive ring tone.

#36 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:52 AM

Alright.  I'll give that a try.  Thanks, Glenn.

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users