#1 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

What is the simplest way to set up my ANDROID phone to notify me if a new cache publishes within X amount of miles of my house?

TXGA SETX Representative

#2 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

I use the notification function on GC.com to send me an email to my gmail account. I dont know of another way. Anyone else??

Posted Image

#3 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

What, then use a filter to forward it to your phone?

TXGA SETX Representative

#4 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

On the lower right side of you account page on GC.com there is a "setup notifications" link that will take you to the setup page and there you can pick the type of notices you want and the radius from your home area you want as well.

Once activated it will send an email to you when caches, etc are published. Just need to be sure you have your phone set to check mail often or if using gmail be sure sync is turned on so you get the mail as soon as it is sent.

Posted Image

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

Do you have this lone notification set up on a separate notification, or does your phone sound like a popcorn maker?

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

I have 2 notifications created. 1 as caches publish and 1 events publish.

Depending on how many caches / events PR is publishing at the time my email alert might sound like a popcorn popper. Most of the time I get a couple of emails a day from GC

I think I have my alert distance set at 45 miles.

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#7 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

Check with ur cell provider. Some or most have an email Address for your account that will popup as a text message. Then setup the notification with that email address. In my case I have rule on my exchange server that forwards it to me as a text message when a regular GC notification email arrives.
  • Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#8 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

your android phone usually has to have a gmail account associated with it.  just set up notifications to send to that email address and make sure you check your phone.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#9 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

How to get text notification of new caches

On your geocaching profile page, Right hand column, Premium Features, Set Up Notifications, it only accepts email addresses, to receive text notification you will need to know your carriers system.

Most common Providers listed below

Provider         Format

•  

Sprint            phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

Verizon          phonenumber@vtext.com

T-Mobile        phonenumber@tmomail.net

AT&T             phonenumber@txt.att.net

From my file on SETX Gang Facebook group.

• Baytown Bert, heftydude and pindroppers74 like this

#10 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

The TXT will (should) hit much faster than an email message if you want to be on the FTF hunt.  I only have a 5 mile radius set up for new caches via TXT, then I receive events via email (not much of a rush).

Posted Image

#11 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

The TXT will (should) hit much faster than an email message if you want to be on the FTF hunt.  I only have a 5 mile radius set up for new caches via TXT, then I receive events via email (not much of a rush).

Not always true at all, as Kenny can attest to. I've gotten texts before emails and emails before texts (sometimes hours before the texts arrive) and so has Kenny (and others I've talked to). Groundspeak has responded to my inquiries about that with a general admittance that it happens (no kidding....I hadn't noticed that...duh). When things are working correctly on their end (which is most of the time), I get texts and emails at the same time. Emails are easier to work with on my smartphone....at least the way I do things.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#12 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:39 AM

The TXT will (should) hit much faster than an email message if you want to be on the FTF hunt. I only have a 5 mile radius set up for new caches via TXT, then I receive events via email (not much of a rush).

Not always true at all, as Kenny can attest to. I've gotten texts before emails and emails before texts (sometimes hours before the texts arrive) and so has Kenny (and others I've talked to). Groundspeak has responded to my inquiries about that with a general admittance that it happens (no kidding....I hadn't noticed that...duh). When things are working correctly on their end (which is most of the time), I get texts and emails at the same time. Emails are easier to work with on my smartphone....at least the way I do things.

With my setup I get the email and then Exchange sends me the text. So I end up getting both. And the text usually shows up a few seconds before the email.
Posted Image

#13 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:28 AM

Das ist var. Though txt should be faster, Brian has already logged and moved on via email vs my SMS on several occasions. Its almost as if something gets stuck somewhere in notification queue. Brian has had success raising the issue w GS, I believe. How often you check email is also a factor. "Push" email, sans a bunch of corp pre-filtering and scanning, will be quick on a normal publishing day.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#14 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

I have my GC.com email notifications sent to my personal email, but I also have them duplicate send (at the server level) to my corporate email. Both of those notification streams and text all go to the same device, and I can tell you that it's all over the place. I thought text would be faster, but oftentimes it isn't (literally hours behind sometimes), and when text isn't running behind the emails, it's almost always arriving in parallel. In other words, it sure isn't what one would expect in terms of faster communication compared to email. Although, Kenny is correct that email timeliness can be related to whether it's a push or pull email setup.

#15 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

I have my notifications sent to my gmail account which then forwards both an email and a text to my phone. Since i have limited data, i keep my automatic sync off on the phone so won't see the email when it's sent. I rely on the text to come through which seems to be faster than the email anyway.

#16 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

I set mine up using Promedrick's instruction's but the link they sent to verify the new email address failed.  I think it will work as unverified though and will wait and see if I get the notifications on my phone, then watch out TW!  Hoo-ah!

TXGA SETX Representative

#17 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

Good luck with that, Bert. As I said, text is not the answer to faster FTF'ing, because it is often slower and at best arrives on my phone at the same time as the emails. Having all the mainstream forms of travel (vehicle, bike, and kayak) available and ready, and then leaving on a moment's notice is the answer....and speeding. :)

#18 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

And, greasing the palms of the guys that take care of notifications at GS ;)
  • GASTX likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#19 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:34 PM

Perfect example tonight. I got the emails about 5 caches (one near Sugar Land and four in the Woodlands), and I got the texts almost a full hour later.

#20 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:09 AM

I get it!   I won't offer any assistance in the future!!     :-X

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users