43 replies to this topic

#21 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

Pinky's no longer rents canoes... They do have tandem kayaks, but that still leaves one of the R's out of a kayak. 

I haven't been in a canoe since high school.  But I don't have the right shoulder strength and ability to paddle a tandem with powerdog02 just yet without going in circles and veering to the right a LOT.  My "freakishly strong left arm" tries to do all the work.  Kennethb is aware of my shoulder surgery issue, but I don't know if he's thought about my overcompensation with the left arm yet.  He's the one with access to our scout canoes.     

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#22 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

Re-reading I realized that previous post of mine seemed kinda negative or discouraging...

I don't mean to be discouraging at all. Please don't take it that way. Sometimes, "keepin' it real" looks rather scrooge-like.

Long tandem Yaks can easily handle two adults and a kiddo depending on the brand. Wilderness, Heritage, Malibu, among others, all are stable and suited to the task. Even stable yaks can tip over though, so really good to be prepared.

Even if you decide not to go out, it would be great to meet your clan and for you to check out all the cool yak caching stuff.

Also, Along with others, I will be happy to help you "get it together" for a safe outing checking life jacket fit and stuff like that since 2katz and I won't be yaking this time we will be able to get a pic and lend aid to those who need it getting ready to shove off!

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#23 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Great to have a yak "sherpa", thanks Kenny!

On a very different note, DO NOT order the yak smoothie at Smoothie King, not their best effort.

Even worse than the "Rocks and Glass" crush they offered last week

• KeyResults likes this

#24 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

So last minute question - how is this event for a first with our kids in a kayak? We have been talking about going out with Dhaulagiri but he is on sabbatical. The problem is we have 3 kids and 2 adults which is very poor kayak planning on our part.

It only takes 9 months to remedy that case of bad planning  :2funny:

I was thinking of less Rs not more Rs.  But if we need a 4th kid we will wait for our you and Cindy to figure out that 9 month thing and make us one.  I will try to figure out what we are going to do.  R1 has been caching in Russia, the UK and Paris the past few weeks and I guess I am just getting jealous for some fun.  He gets back tomorrow so we will see what he is up for.  Maybe he can watch all the kids and I can go alone! 

• KeyResults and green-eyed like this

#25 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

Was on the bayou from 9 til 1:30 today, working my way up Horsepen Bayou. The water was warm and the sun felt good. Should be a great day tomorrow !

Edited by bbqbob2, 09 November 2013 - 06:23 PM.

• Baytown Bert likes this

#26 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

Not the best photos - but here's what we did.  I cut out from the last 3 caches along the way back due to timing -- having to get Alex to a Scout meeting.  We did ~5.1 miles.  I presume the rest of the group did 5.3 - 5.5.  But this was my first trial of Everytrail.  Pretty cool toy.

http://www.everytrai...trip_id=2400263

• 2katz likes this
Posted Image

#27 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

looks cool!  i'll have to check that out.  i'm even barely noticeable in the first photo as send-off crew.  wish I could have paddled with you guys, but I had to duck into town.

Posted Image

#28 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

Wow, that is a great app, Kevin, and it looks your group had a great time. We went north and hopefully Bert and Emily took some cool pics. We got everything north of the bridges except for 1 DNF and 1 could-not-reach because of about 300 ft of water hyacinth. A great day, can Camilla come back to play next year?
  • ohl hockey guy likes this

#29 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

Good job, guys.  The hyacinth is exceptionally heavy this year.  Can't wait for a cold snap to kill it and thin it out.

Posted Image

#30 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

#1 and #2 are a short paddle from Spring Gulley as a put-in.  ;)

Posted Image

#31 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

And the grass on the median was just cut from waist high to ankle high

#32 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:16 AM

Read the logs for the true story of our "Apocalypse Now" trip up the bayou. And the first pictures of Bert's third ball before the Enquirer gets them for their upcoming TMI issue

http://www.geocachin...f6-118bd2b409b0

Attached Files

Edited by bbqbob2, 11 November 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#33 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

It was great to see everybody Danish Style. It was weird not launching yaks w the group, but 2katz and I were on a different geocaching quest yesterday trying to break old record of cache types in a day. And, we didn't want to spoiler our lighting array for upcoming holiday lights spectacle ;) Everybody stay dry? Right side up?

Edited by KeyResults, 11 November 2013 - 06:32 AM.

#34 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:34 AM

powerdog02 and keyresults talk goose with the land-based CITO

3bf76d98-25ae-4f07-a5df-76f49536fea5.jpg

Posted Image

#35 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

It was clear, as we paddled past you all to the first stage of the Whereigo, that the geese did not like KR.  I don't know what he did to piss them off (previous life, perhaps, or just a prior kayaking trip), but it was clear he did.  Seemed they had an agenda as they all swam out of the water to come get him. They were certainly vocal about it.

Look at them looking at him.  This scene looks like diplomacy talks / negotiations...  The rest are out of shot in full-on attack mode.

Posted Image

#36 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

Always lookin for a handout those Geese! When I told em NO! Then they started negotiating for Powerdog02... "How much for the boy?" They're asking, "how much for red head boy?"
  • green-eyed likes this

#37 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

Is he still with us?

Posted Image

#38 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

Have to be honest, I almost hurt myself laughing at the "treasures" Kevin found in Donna's bag o goodies at the brkfst. Pic to surface of Bert's reaction too. Haven't laughed to tears in a while.

#39 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

Is he still with us?

he is.  although, he was irritated by our many DNFs in town when he had much more fun along the water at the events.  and he didn't get to see the geograndparents like we were supposed to either because they didn't meet us.  but I did take him for what he deemed "the best burger ever" while grabbing one of dhaulagari's caches and he got mustache cookie cutters.

Posted Image

#40 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

but I did take him for what he deemed "the best burger ever" while grabbing one of dhaulagari's caches and blah blah blah.

And you seemed to leave out the most important part of that story.  WHERE?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users