20 replies to this topic

#1 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

Turns out Rick Perry is related to Sam Houston. Sam Houston was the only person in US history to be governor in two states, Tennessee and Texas. He was kicked out as Texas governor for refusing to sign Texas a part of the Confederacy. He died two years later in Huntsville. The is a segment on the PBS Genealogy Roadshow for this week.

Posted Image

#2 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

I think half of Texas is related to Sam Houston somehow... I'm trying to trace down his cousin, Jane Houston, to my own kiddo as a great-grandmother.  Unfortunately, I don't know how many times removed she may have been to him.

But that's interesting about HC.  I'll have to watch the show and see if I get any hints for my own search.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#3 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

I think half of Texas is related to Sam Houston somehow... I'm trying to trace down his cousin, Jane Houston, to my own kiddo as a great-grandmother.  Unfortunately, I don't know how many times removed she may have been to him.

But that's interesting about HC.  I'll have to watch the show and see if I get any hints for my own search.

Here you go

http://www.pbs.org/p...alogy-roadshow/

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

#4 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

There is a Jane B. Houston whose father was Sam's brother.

https://www.shsu.edu..._children.shtml

Posted Image

#5 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

I've seen this one before, but I don't think it's the Jane I need.  My former MIL only knew the name Jane Houston, who she was married to and their one son.  The estimated birth for the Jane I need is around 1810, unless she was 30 years older than her husband, and in North Carolina.  Jane seems to have just disappeared from records, which wasn't hard for a women back then.  Sam Houston's father was also Sam Houston and their family did come a lot from the Carolinas.

Posted Image

#6 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:25 AM

I've seen this one before, but I don't think it's the Jane I need.  My former MIL only knew the name Jane Houston, who she was married to and their one son.  The estimated birth for the Jane I need is around 1810, unless she was 30 years older than her husband, and in North Carolina.  Jane seems to have just disappeared from records, which wasn't hard for a women back then.  Sam Houston's father was also Sam Houston and their family did come a lot from the Carolinas.

http://genforum.gene...sages/5484.html

Posted Image

#7 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:11 AM

Interesting genealody fact for my wife & kids...John Basse is a direct relative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nansemond

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

Interesting genealody fact for my wife & kids...John Basse is a direct relative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nansemond

very cool!  i'm a genealogy nut.  have multiple trees in the works for the past few years and made some great finds. 

i believe i've researched this sam as well in the past.  will have to dig into him some more.  there are at least 5 samuel houstons all related to each other by father/son or cousins.  and seems that jane was a common name to use in their families too.  i don't have her parent's names and she really did disappear off the records.  need to go to north carolina and see if i can hunt her down one day. 

Posted Image

#9 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

I have a Sam Houston Cooper in my family tree and a George Washington Cooper. :)
My third great grandmother Ruth Weems Cooper...her line has been traced to 987 ad in the Fife district of Scotland.
Some day I hope to find out why my people left Scotland...dont know if it was the Clearances or some other reason.

#10 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

Neil Parker related to Mayor Parker, Larry Houston related to Gov. Perry, so far only speculations about the Baytown Bert/Obama connections.

#11 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

Our connection is I didn't vote for him.  :blackeye:

TXGA SETX Representative

#12 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

Neil Parker related to Mayor Parker, Larry Houston related to Gov. Perry, so far only speculations about the Baytown Bert/Obama connections.

There's some resemblance for sure! :2funny:

e1ecadb3-5417-48d8-beaf-78ffc8d1773a.jpg

• heftydude and Cache Control like this

#13 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

He is a very handsome guy.

TXGA SETX Representative

#14 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

There's some resemblance for sure! :2funny:

e1ecadb3-5417-48d8-beaf-78ffc8d1773a.jpg

Baytown Barack!

#15 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

Barack oberta

#16 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

This really got a laugh out of me.  You guys are hilarious.

Posted Image

#17 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:22 AM

Red-eyed, my Houston line came out of Rowan Co. and Mecklenburg Co. North Carolina. (no relation to Gen. Sam).  My sister has traced us back to my 5th Great-Grandfather David Houston, who was born in NC. about 1666, or 70 years before General Sam's ancestors immigrated here from Ireland.

• green-eyed likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#18 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

Red-eyed, my Houston line came out of Rowan Co. and Mecklenburg Co. North Carolina. (no relation to Gen. Sam).  My sister has traced us back to my 5th Great-Grandfather David Houston, who was born in NC. about 1666, or 70 years before General Sam's ancestors immigrated here from Ireland.

After I posted this thread I remembered you telling me that you were not related to Gen Sam.

Posted Image

#19 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

i can't trace the houston line for powerdog02 anywhere right now.  it's all rumor as far as i'm concerned until i get proof... and jane is probably not really named jane and that's her middle name and the 6th cousin 10 times removed from gen sam. 

(and i may be pale, but i'm not an albino)

Posted Image

#20 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

Red-eyed, my Houston line came out of Rowan Co. and Mecklenburg Co. North Carolina. (no relation to Gen. Sam). My sister has traced us back to my 5th Great-Grandfather David Houston, who was born in NC. about 1666, or 70 years before General Sam's ancestors immigrated here from Ireland.

That makes you more "Houston" than the namesake. From now on, I'm saying they they named the city for your kinfolk.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users