#1 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

There is a fellow in Baytown who is constantly stirring up trouble with the city officials and really believes he is an advocate for the people.  He has tried repeatedly over the years to get me to right some wrong by using my newspaper column to strike the heart of some wrong doing.  Here is his latest effort:

Subject: Geocaching-Is it legal in Baytown Parks?

Dear Mr. Johnson,  According to Baytown's Code of Ordinances, litter is prohibited in Baytown Parks: Sec. 70-10. Litter.It shall be unlawful for any person within any public park, parkway, playground or any other public place for public recreation to dump, deposit or leave any litter, including but not limited to paper boxes, cans, rubbish, waste, garbage, refuse, brush, leaves, tires or any other trash.  How does this affect geocaching?  Note the attached Oct. 04 article from the Baytown Sun states that citizens are depositing geocaches in city parks.  Is this legal? Please advise.  Thanks. Concerned citizen

----  (http://baytownbert.b...ers-and-me.html)

Yes, Geocaching is legal in Baytown Parks.  There are many hidden caches in our parks and a lot of people, many from out of town, go to our parks and look for the caches. The people that hide geocaches do a very good job of camouflaging the prize.  Unless you are looking for that specific item, you’re not going to see it.  I agree, litter is a major issue for the entire country, not just Baytown but I don’t consider hiding a prize as litter.  Generally, people that are involved with geocaching are park friendly and leave the area better than they found it.  Many times entire families are involved in the high tech game of hide and seek.   Anyway we can get people, young and old, outside and enjoy the outdoors is a good thing and geocaching is one of those ways. I recommend that you contact Baytown Bert and I would bet that he would be happy to let you tag along on one of his geocaching adventures. Scott Johnson - City of Baytown - Parks Superintendant

Edited by Baytown Bert, 11 October 2013 - 02:51 PM.

• KeyResults, 2katz and TexasWriter like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#2 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

Bert,

Take him out to find that cache tat almost killed you, and leave him there.

• Baytown Bert, TexasWriter and amberita13 like this

#3 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

Nice response from Mr Johnson. Can almost see him biting his tongue

#4 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

Bert I will repost this on the TXGA FB page tonight.  I think it's a good article. 

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

Actually I was able to do it from my phone.  You are now statewide.  I did omit Mr. Hudgins email address as it was listed above so he does not get any hate mail.  You might want to do the same.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

Right!

TXGA SETX Representative

#7 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

I did actually write his name.  oops.  Hope that doesn't hurt. 

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

He doesn't hide his name.  He actually thinks he's right about everything.

TXGA SETX Representative

#9 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

I think we should let the guy and Mr. Roman what's-his-name (the brainchild behind the failed Muggled.net endeavor) get together and have a celebrity smackdown. Fight to the death kind of thing all gladiator style....  They could do it in the name of anti-geocaching and even charge for the event to raise money for anti-geocaching. Okay, maybe I'm taking this too far in my head... :D  

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#10 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

I would argue to this man that Deer Park Parks & Recreation Dept supports caching so much they have their own account & sponsored hides, (which I thoroughly enjoyed). Why should Baytown not support it when Deer Park encourages it?

Although a part of me is curious: Why does this man have a bone to pick with you?

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#11 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

He doesn't.  He complains about everything and we are well acquainted.

TXGA SETX Representative

#12 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

I know the type...professional complainers. As a quality manager, I run into these types in both my personal AND professional life more often than I'd like to say. All I can say is "ugh" about it...

• Baytown Bert likes this

#13 cook cachers

cook cachers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

Our first cache was in a local park and enjoyed by a few dozen cachers until a local concerned citizen worried that it might bring people to the park after hours and took it upon himself to muggle the cache twice before I archived it. He made a point to brag about what he had done to several neighbors, who mentioned it to me.

Just after we placed the cache he sat in on the annual meeting and had the park hour shortened to 8am - 8pm (he was one of the only ones at the meeting). Think about that...a neighborhood park you could not visit in the summertime until it was too hot to walk and had to leave before it cooled off in the evenings, even though it was still light. One neighbor was ticketed twice (after two warnings) for walking his dogs at 8:45pm in July. The sun wasn't even down yet!!!

Cooler heads have prevailed and it now has the usual dawn to dusk notice, but geeeesh, some people.

#14 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,708 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

Too bad the superintendent didn't mention CITO events. Also a photo of the geocaching road that was adopted would have been nice too.

Edited by SockPuppet, 11 October 2013 - 09:32 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:25 AM

The Goose Creek Trail is patrolled daily by a non-active geocacher who CITO's it and the city put up a sign which states he cleans it.  This guy is nothing more than a self-righteous blowhard.  I've told him this on more than one occasion.

TXGA SETX Representative

#16 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

Bert, it is good that you responded professionally to the gentleman's query. There are lots of people out there like him that do represent a threat to geocaching if we don't take these questions seriously and respond to them in a timely and non-confrontational manner. It amazes me how easy it is for the masses to rapidly rally behind such an innocuous and uninformed statement or opinion, sometimes making correction very difficult. "It's not what you say...it's what people hear"
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#17 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

Bert, it is good that you responded professionally to the gentleman's query. There are lots of people out there like him that do represent a threat to geocaching if we don't take these questions seriously and respond to them in a timely and non-confrontational manner. It amazes me how easy it is for the masses to rapidly rally behind such an innocuous and uninformed statement or opinion, sometimes making correction very difficult. "It's not what you say...it's what people hear"

You sound like a public relations guy...oh wait, you ARE a public relations guy :D

• KeyResults likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users