13 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

We just had one of our find logs deleted for GC3EF72 - Alexander Eisenhower Multi.    :tickedoff:

We found this cache on April 21, 2012  (a year and a half ago)

If you found this cache, you might want to check your find counts.

I have appealed to the CO and gotten permission to re-log the cache.

Others should do the same.

Edited by Mr Muddy Buddy, 06 October 2013 - 08:02 PM.

Posted Image

#2 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

I saw they were updating coordinates on a few of the series.  I looked at the multi and I've got a question - how do you know if it's the official log paper?

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#3 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:13 PM

I saw they were updating coordinates on a few of the series.  I looked at the multi and I've got a question - how do you know if it's the official log paper?

That was the whole problem.  Apparently, one of the early finders didn't see a paper log in the cache, so they added one.  When we got there, I saw lots of signatures on the paper, so I signed it and moved on.

Spoiler Alert:  In that cache, there is a USB drive with the official log, and coordinates to a nearby bonus cache.  

At the time, we didn't have a way to read the USB, so our plan was to go back a bring a laptop with us.  Well, we haven't been back there in about 1.5 years....

Posted Image

#4 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

well sheesh.  i'd have never had something with me either.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#5 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

Note to self: Pack an OTG cable when caching from now on. I hope this trend does not take off due to virus' and PUP's.

#6 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

My log got deleted as well.  It wasn't till later that I realized the paper log was something a previous cacher had just stuck in there.  So then I thought maybe the pill bottle was just another waypoint and the coords to the final were on the USB.  I'm not sure I want to stick some virus-infected USB in my laptop just to log a cache.  Not sure it meets GS guidelines anyway...

• cachestacker and green-eyed like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#7 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

I just got this log deletion notice as well. I don't remember there being anything on the cache page back when we found it, that indicated that there was something other than a paper log to sign. We knew the bonus info was on the thumbdrive but not the cache log. I wrote to the owner as well and i just now received his reply to re-log the cache.

#8 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

The cache was archived by PR this morning.  USB logs are not allowed, apparently.

#9 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

The flash drive is a neat idea but i can also see the otherside of the coin. I see two concerns, one is that the drive could be used to transfer something malicious, for example, Bert's nakie pic to someone's device.  :laugh:  The other is that it added an ALR to the cache. 

Even though it didn't meet gc.com guidelines, the cache was fun and was one i would just as soon keep going. It just needed to be set up somehow where there wasn't any misunderstandings. It could have been something as simple as writing "the log is on the thumbdrive, please access it or your log will be deleted" on the inside of the cache. It's a shame that the owner pretty much shot himself in the foot when he decided to make the deletions in the first place.

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:40 AM

Hey!  You don't need no flash drive to get a nekkid photograph of BB. :angel:

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

I had planned to go back and take my crappy netbook that I no longer use (don't really care if it gets infected) and do it right, but after PR archived it, I hurried and relogged it before the cache was locked.  If I were the CO, I would just put a paper log in the final and republish it as a new multi.

#12 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

It was a good multi other than the USB drive requirement. I hope he does redo and republish it. Very fun and creative and it got a favorite point from me. 

#13 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

People do not sign the right log on my 1 in 25 cache all the time.  I usually just send them a note.  I don't delete the log as it is just a game.

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

It took me a long time to see it that way, Brent, but I agree with you.  I have folks fudge on my caches now and again and I've learned to go with it.  Heck, I often send them a hint if they can't find it.  I want geocaching to be fun and positive and if a fairly newcomer gets discouraged because I was strict, I think I am the loser, not them.

• cachestacker and TexasWriter like this

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users