6 replies to this topic

#1 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

Saw this video and it pushed all my DIY/cheap-skate/tinkerer buttons.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ondaLGDAtb0

Slowly edging my way into kayaking and this looked like a simple, clean and fun way to

make the leashes you need to keep your paddle, rods, tools close by.

Is it time for a separate "Kayak Caching" section for all the paddlers out there?

• cachestacker and GASTX like this

#2 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

Seems to me like a smart & simple DIY project!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#3 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,192 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

I'm thinking of adapting that idea as a cache support mechanism.  Hang the cache from a tree branch.....just out of reach..... 

Posted Image

#4 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

Seems like there be lots of uses. I'm making a few tomorrow

#5 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

It's a bit cheaper, and probably fun too, to make your own but if you don't have the time you could possibly use this.

lanyard_0.jpg

I'm guessing that it can be had for around $5 or $6, maybe cheaper if you look around. You would still need the caribiners (or whatever attachments) to complete it.

#6 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

Made one yesterday, they are pretty cool but I'd trust them for a rod or tool/plier leash, made pretty short. A longer one wants to do that Slinky thing and tie itself in a knot. Making the loop at the end and attaching carabiners to something you've made is pretty cool

#7 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

The idea of placing/seeking cache series via kayak (or canoe) continues to gain popularity and acclaim. Pick your area around Houston and there are a number of places you can go to scoop up dozens of water-accessed caches. As a long-time paddler, I applaud each and every cache owner and cache(s) placed on the water, because there is just nothing quite like being on the water....and if I can smilies out of it….well, that just makes it nirvana.

Most everyone knows about the CLAPS caches (Cachestacker, Kirbydox's, The Bicycler, Rich&Lola), as well as the various events that are held in conjunction with the CLAPS. What some folks may not know is that there is a new kayak series over near Orange, TX that was put out by Mudfrog, the cache owner. The series is named ABPAGS (Adams Bayou Paddle & Grab Series), and there are 17 caches in the series (16 traditionals plus a bonus cache). I did this series earlier in the week, and I can tell you that he did a great job on it (containers, coords, placement, challenge, etc.), so I highly recommend the series to anyone who likes to kayak and cache. As an added bonus, you might just have one of the most unique animal sightings ever for a kayak series (see GC4PWFW for a spoiler if the intrigue gets to you).

Just wanted to pass this info along to those who may not have been aware of this new series since I assume it’s outside of most people’s notification area.

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users