• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 bethandken

bethandken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

I got my GEAR geocoin in the mail today. I will try upload pictures later.

GOD Bless you and your families

Geosniper Fam

#2 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

woohoo!!  i'm looking forward to checking my mail today and see if mine arrived as well.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#3 cook cachers

cook cachers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

Got mine too!

#4 Hoosier Ranger

Hoosier Ranger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationHeritage Grand, Katy, TX

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

I also received my trackable coin today. I think there are some flaws in the study, and have contacted the researchers about them. For example, I cycle to most geocaches rather than walk, yet the study does not recognize geobiking as an exercise in geocaching. Thus most of my geocaching is not reported to them. The step counters they sent were so unreliable that I measured the distance walked with my GPSr and converted the distance to steps. They accepted this. The exercise information they want requires keeping a separate daily exercise log; something I did not know until completing the first month's survey. Fortunately, like most exercise-addicted people, I keep a daily log. I think they should use the first year's survey as a test and refine their questions and objectives for a follow-up study.

The geocoin is nice. It's gold and black with a map of the U.S. on one side and "Geocaching for Exercise and Activity Research" and a footprint on the other.

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

I snubbed my nose at this study from day one, but that's a cool coin.  Congrats to all who walked the walk and got the coin.  :smitten:

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

I got mine today too.  The survey does ask IF you tracked steps for each caching trip or not, so on ones where I biked or kayaked or forgot my pedometer, I just leave the steps blank.  Yeah, I'm pretty good at guess-timating steps taken as well. :coolsmiley:

09182679-34b5-485b-ba26-92958afd4181.jpg

Edited by HoustonControl, 25 September 2013 - 07:06 PM.

• amberita13 likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#7 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

Mine arrived today also.  

I have sent messages over the past few months, as have others, regarding additional forms of caching/exercise such as yaking and biking.  The team says they have noted this and will adjust the study in future years accordingly, this is merely their starting point/test to help get a feel for the sport of geocaching. 

Posted Image

#8 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,373 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

Stan got his geocoin in the mail today too.  

Posted Image

#9 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

Mine arrived today also.  

I have sent messages over the past few months, as have others, regarding additional forms of caching/exercise such as yaking and biking.  The team says they have noted this and will adjust the study in future years accordingly, this is merely their starting point/test to help get a feel for the sport of geocaching. 

they have made adjustments in the last 2 surveys sent.  I was thrilled to see they asked if you walked, drove a car, rode a bike or was in a kayak/canoe.  no, they still don't ask distance for those other forms of transportation, but it was a start.  maybe by the end of the study, they'll have those sections better defined.

got my coin today too.  they did a nice job with it.  powerdog02 wants to "split" it with me...I think not.  I walked more caches than he did.

Posted Image

#10 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

You should have signed up PD02!

Posted Image

#11 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

You should have signed up PD02!

i signed up before he had his own caching account/name... maybe i'll give him the 12 month pathtag or whatever they give us.

Posted Image

#12 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

Got mine today.  Nice.

There is no adventure without risk.

#13 uptrain

uptrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

I got mine in the mail yesterday. Nice coin. I'm looking forward to seeing what the 12 month coin looks like.

#14 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

What is required to earn this geocoin? Is it still possible to earn one?

Posted Image

#15 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

What is required to earn this geocoin? Is it still possible to earn one?

there was a call for volunteers in late December/early January for the study.  to earn this coin, you had to complete 6 surveys (one a month) that record your steps, locations, caches found, etc. while out geocaching.  they filled up quickly and are no longer taking volunteers since they officially started the surveys in February.

Posted Image

#16 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

So I was under the impression we would be getting a coin after completing 12 surveys. But yesterday I got an email from the Texas A&M team saying that the survey was over and that was it. Does anyone else have any info on this?

I guess I should have known better than to take an aggies word on something... :knuppel2:  :2funny:

#17 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

So I was under the impression we would be getting a coin after completing 12 surveys. But yesterday I got an email from the Texas A&M team saying that the survey was over and that was it. Does anyone else have any info on this?

I guess I should have known better than to take an aggies word on something... :knuppel2:  :2funny:

I can think of about a dozen people you can now take off your PAF list.  Lol 

• DangerKitties likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#18 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

I received it too and read it as more along the lines that it was notification that there were no more surveys to fill out.  when they sent the 6 month coin, they did say there was another one for completing all 12 months. 

I found this on the FB page for the study posted last week on 2/13:  Geocaching for Exercise and Activity Research - GEAR Study The 12 month incentive is another coin! It will be sent out in March sometime. We have to wait for both groups of participants to wrap up.

• DangerKitties likes this
Posted Image

#19 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

I can think of about a dozen people you can now take off your PAF list.  Lol 

Well I married an Aggie so I am sure when I get home from work there may be bruises on me if she saw this post :knuppel2: ... I mean I fell down some stairs... :-X

• green-eyed likes this

#20 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

Congrats to all those that received that nice geocoin. At the time I wasn't caching much so I didn't feel I could contribute to the survey. It would have been interesting to see how many steps I made looking for a ManofSteel geocache.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users