Photo

Anybody Know Why the Route Thingy Doesn't Work Right?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

I made a =>route that runs along the MetroRail for my Choo Choo caches.  It goes from Bellfort (just below Fannin South station) to Congress (one block north of Preston).  It does not pick up my caches at Preston, Reliant or Fannin South. I have to download each of those manually.  Reliant and Preston are two of the closest caches to the rail and Fannin South is only about 200 feet from the rail.

So, what's the deal with this?

I need it to fetch all caches within three blocks on either side of the rail so when I have to relocate a one of the caches I know if I'm in conflict with another cache. 

Edited by Thot, 25 September 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#2 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

Any chance the cache types are set different than the rest or some smaller diff the pq is filtering out
Posted Image

#3 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

Btw I work for metro and like the choo choo series. Hope to work it soon
  • Thot likes this
Posted Image

#4 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

The route is marked private so we can't pull it up. My only thought at this point is that you might have the caches on ignore for some reason. I have some ignored that i helped place and it's a pain to find them when i actually want to see them.

#5 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

The three I mentioned in my post are my Choo Choo caches and are identical to all the others.  The PQ is set to accept any cache type and any container type and no filter options are marked.  FYI, the Preston cache is at the end north.  Reliant and Fannin South are at the end south.

Since the three I mentioned are my own caches and I am trying to locate all caches near them I'm sure I  haven't marked them ignore.

#6 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

The route is marked private so we can't pull it up.

Try the link again.  I failed to mark it public because I didn't think anybody else had a use for it.

#7 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

I put out Choo Choo Fannin South  when I put out the rest of the Choo Choo series.  The first stage of a multi A City of Transportation was in this parking lot.  I put a watch on it and I've been waiting about 18 months for it to go away.  The owner had moved away and it had been out of commission for a long time so I was beginning to get my hopes up.  But, a short while ago another person who works for Metro (cacher name mrbravo -- real name Rodrigo) posted a note saying he was going to replace it for the owner.  My heart sank.  I really wanted that spot. Day before  yesterday I got the notice it had been archived and within an hour I had submitted my cache. 

Edited by Thot, 25 September 2013 - 03:28 PM.

• TravelingGeek and TexasWriter like this

#8 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

I put out Choo Choo Fannin South  when I put out the rest of the Choo Choo series.  The first stage of a multi A City of Transportation was in this parking lot.  I put a watch on it and I've been waiting about 18 months for it to go away.  The owner had moved away and it had been out of commission for a long time so I was beginning to get my hopes up.  But, a short while ago another person who works for Metro (cacher name mrbravo -- real name Rodrigo) posted a note saying he was going to replace it for the owner.  My heart sank.  I really wanted that spot. Day before  yesterday I got the notice it had been archived and within an hour I had submitted my cache. 

And Scarecrow thanks you for that :)  

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#9 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

I just created a similar route based PQ with a .3 mile radius and it picked up the 3 you are talking about (15 total, Fannin South to Preston)

Edited by ClanStan, 25 September 2013 - 04:13 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

I just created a similar route based PQ with a .3 mile radius and it picked up the 3 you are talking about (15 total, Fannin South to Preston)

It won't help me understand why mine doesn't work, but if your route is public would you mind giving me a link to it.

#11 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

I will chime in with my experience. I have used routes numerous times to create PQs for road trips. I have often observed that the sorting algorithm excludes caches sometimes in favor of including others. Even if the PQ isn't at capacity. I can't explain it but it is what I've observed on larger routes than what you are trying to do here.
Posted Image

#12 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:43 AM

I will chime in with my experience. I have used routes numerous times to create PQs for road trips. I have often observed that the sorting algorithm excludes caches sometimes in favor of including others. Even if the PQ isn't at capacity. I can't explain it but it is what I've observed on larger routes than what you are trying to do here.

We missed a whole section of a series recently due to this.  It just didn't make sense why certain caches in a line with the rest were thrown out. 

Posted Image

#13 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

In my personal experience, for every software glitch I encounter, there are ten errors directly related to my own incompetence and ignorancecio. :angel:

TXGA SETX Representative

#14 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

Sometimes when we do a PQ on a route, some caches don't show up, but others nearby do (it will pick up TP+11 and 14, but not 13, for example).  It is frustrating, especially when we are far from home, and out of cell range, then we find we missed some when we get home.

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

#15 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

In my personal experience, for every software glitch I encounter, there are ten errors directly related to my own incompetence and ignorancecio. :angel:

mines the opposite. For every ten software glitches I encounter, I have maybe one user error. ;-) (when is Tapatalk gonna get the smiley icons? Do emoji icons work? 😁)
Posted Image

#16 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

When I did my Longest Since Last find query today, I did a search from downtown Houston out 50 miles, then clicked on the "Last Found" column twice to sort by longest unfound caches first.  I had four caches show up on page 8 or 9 of the results, indicating they had not been found since September of 2011 -- but when I looked at the cache page, they had been found dozens of times since then, including in the last 2 or 3 months.  Weird.

Check the online cache pages of the three caches circled below:

A$OFC$ - Oriental Avenue
A$OFC$ - Saint Charles Place
A$OFC$ - Reading Railroad

c7f2cbcc-6365-4d98-997b-8e5560adccc7.jpg

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#17 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

I also run an area wide PQ every month which finished yesterday.  In my results those three caches show correctly:

Attached File  Untitled-1.png   107.07KB   5 downloads

#18 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

In my own defense, I can still lift heavy things.  :uglystupid2:

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users