• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 newana95

newana95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

I am new to this! I need help! How do I start? Is there an app? I'm in the Houston Area :)

#2 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Slow down... take a deep breath and read this:

http://ourbaytown.co...rt/geocache.htm

TXGA SETX Representative

#3 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

yes, there are apps for your smartphone if you do not have a separate hand-held GPS.  i use the geocaching.com app for my android.  started off using that only and now use a GPS and my phone app, depending on where i am and if i planned to cache somewhere ahead of time to program the GPS.

where in the houston area are you?  there are a variety of monthly meet-and-greet events you can attend and meet other local geocachers.  some are lunchtime and others dinner time during the week and often on weekends.

welcome to your new addictive hobby!

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#4 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

Hi, welcome to our great addiction hobby!

As Green-Eyed said, where in Houston are you, it's a big city!

Lot's of new places to see & explore!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#5 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

We use the c:geo app on our smartphones, it's free and I like using it.

Please, come to an event!  That is a good way to get questions answered.  I usually find the local events by signing in to my geocaching.com account online and then clicking Quick View- then on the right hand side, List Newest in Texas.  The first ones listed will be events, because they are listed in order of date, and the date listed for events is the date it will be hosted on.  The events have the icon that looks like a dialogue box, while the regular geocaches have a picture of a green box next to them in the listings.  There are a couple of events in the Houston area this weekend.  Look at the map on the cache (or event) page to see roughly where these things are.  I am not sure if this deluge of rain is going to slow things down with the events this weekend though!  Let us know if you need help figuring out which ones to go to.  

Let us know once you get out there hunting if you need any help!  

come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#6 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,709 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

I have the geocaching free version app on my iPhone. It is ok for trying out the hobby but the downside is on my iPhone it only finds the ones you are near and the phone gets hot and uses a lot of the battery due to the location services. Maybe other have a better experience with their iPhones. I will use it if I don't happen to have my handheld unit especially of I only plan on doing a few ones in the same general area.

Edited by SockPuppet, 21 September 2013 - 08:37 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users