#61 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:56 AM

Just kidding.  I use PQ's and GSAK.  I do like to print out a route of caches though and that is time consuming.

TXGA SETX Representative

#62 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

Just kidding.  I use PQ's and GSAK.  I do like to print out a route of caches though and that is time consuming.

There is a route macro that will do the heavy lifting on creating a specific route.
Posted Image

#63 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:26 AM

I could really use a class in GSAK macros.  I've used the route feature in GC.com to create a PQ with success.  For local caching out to about 50 miles, I copy and paste data from each page to get the GC #, name of the cache, and the coords in the order that I think will be best.  Often times I am rerouted by my Nuvi god knows where to get there though.  It's a constant source of grief for me (Nuvi routing).  My method is time consuming, but I gather info about the cache while doing it and decide if I am going to look for it or not, even if it has DNF's, something a PQ may eliminate due to its status.

TXGA SETX Representative

#64 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

Me too!

I tried my fist macro a few days ago and didn't have much luck.

I did however, notice the HeftyDude has posted to the support forums.... per chance he has knowledge to share??  

Posted Image

#65 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

alright, so back to part of the original topic... i'm updating the coordinates for my puzzles online at GC.com.  i thought it was supposed to "automatically" update on my phone app (although i was forced to get the stupid update which i hate) and GPS/GSAK when i update those.  i need to check GSAK/GPS still, but in my phone, it still shows the original coordinates, not the final.  not even for navigating to cache later. 

any ideas?  otherwise, i'm going in for my backup in google drive and waypoints in online lists on the phone.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#66 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

Not sure the app pulls them down.  But PQs do.

Posted Image

#67 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

ok.  i'll definitely check GSAK and my garmin later.

Posted Image

#68 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

alright, so back to part of the original topic... i'm updating the coordinates for my puzzles online at GC.com.  i thought it was supposed to "automatically" update on my phone app (although i was forced to get the stupid update which i hate) and GPS/GSAK when i update those.  i need to check GSAK/GPS still, but in my phone, it still shows the original coordinates, not the final.  not even for navigating to cache later. 

any ideas?  otherwise, i'm going in for my backup in google drive and waypoints in online lists on the phone.

So I just ran a test.  I change the coords on GC.com to the nearest unfound puzzle to me.  I used the terrible app to then pull up that cache info and nada.  It's the origianl posted coords, not the ones I changed it to.  I refreshed data and still the old coords.

I'm on an iPhone, so at least the iPhone app sucks.  I then go to Geosphere and update the info on the same cache and bingo!  Updated coords show up on my phone.  

Moral of the story - use a better app than the official app.

I do know from GSAK experience that the PQ will pull in the new coords and GSAK will use them as Corrected Coords.  The PQ data also includes the original coords since I can revert back to original coords from GSAK.

Posted Image

#69 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:19 PM

I'm on an iPhone, so at least the iPhone app sucks.  I then go to Geosphere and update the info on the same cache and bingo!  Updated coords show up on my phone.  

Moral of the story - use a better app than the official app.

the "updated" official app for the android is awful.  I had escaped the update until they replaced my phone and now i'm irritated as heck with this version.  I guess i'll look into another app for backup as well.  because really, some days, you just don't have your GPS with you or loaded up... have to have something for the spur of the moment cache run.

Posted Image

#70 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

When I was on my 30 day experiment with Android, I favored CacheSense.  I hated c:Geo as I just couldn't think that way.  But as always YMMV or TEHO.  

Anyway I can transfer ownership of all those android apps?  I'd be more than happy to give you mine.

Posted Image

#71 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

transfer the apps?  really?  cool! 

Posted Image

#72 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

I can tell you that the GC.com app for the Windows phone, although being a far superior app to GC.com's app for the iPhone, does the same thing GC.com's app for the iPhone....it doesn't display the corrected cords. However, I don't use my Windows phone app for caching....ever. I use it for road navigating, reading logs when necessary, and logging FTF's in the field. I have a Garmin 62S and a Garmin Montana, and I always have at least one of them in my vehicle, so I use those for caching because the coords accuracy is typically better and more finely tuned at GZ (I know that's varying/debatable depending on the phone GPSr technology and the app being used....but, on average and in general IMHO and experience). If you have a puzzle loaded in GSAK already and correct the coordinates on the GC.com site, simply refreshing the cache in GSAK will pull the corrected coords into GSAK, and when that cache is loaded on a GPSr, the corrected coords are the ones that show up on the GPSr (which is pretty much what Kevin was saying about PQ's....I just don't use PQ's because I prefer to manage things in other ways).

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#73 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

I use c:geo on my android and it seems pretty straightforward to me once you learn the interface.  Corrected coordinates show up as a waypoint on the cache page automatically. Anytime that GC updates the API and causes problems, the developers are usually on top of it before I know there was ever an issue.

As far as I know, there is no way to transfer apps from one user to another.  That would be great though.

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#74 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:09 PM

As far as I know, there is no way to transfer apps from one user to another. That would be great though.

Which is why I'm pretty sure it's not allowed.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users