Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

Click the Search Menu (beside the File Menu near the top of GSAK) then do this:

Search.png

The yellow marked caches and only the yellow marked cache should be listed.

Now, Right Click on the main GSAK screen.  You will get a popup list.  Choose "Delete Waypoint..."  Finally do this:

DeleteWaypoints.png

All of the yellow marked (found) caches should be gone. 

If you decide to use this method rather than solve the real problem, let me know and I can simplify it somewhat.

Edited by Thot, 19 September 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#42 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

i'm going to clear out the garmin, run a new PQ and load it in.  hopefully, the new PQ will work the way i mark it and there won't be any more problems.  but i'll try your method above if i need to until i figure out what else to mess with should everything still load incorrectly.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#43 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

Sounds like a GSAK event is called for. It is a great tool.

This is a good idea.  I'd like to see how others are using it.  I just delete all waypoints and replace my database with new data every time I want to load into my GPSr.  I'm sure I could be doing this a better way.

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#44 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

Sounds like a GSAK event is called for. It is a great tool.

This is a good idea.  I'd like to see how others are using it.  I just delete all waypoints and replace my database with new data every time I want to load into my GPSr.  I'm sure I could be doing this a better way.

No need to do that. You can use the refresh function to update existing caches in GSAK then export an updated gpx file for your gps.

You can get new caches you may not have with an update pq or use the get geocache function in GSAK
Posted Image

#45 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

I just delete all waypoints and replace my database with new data every time I want to load into my GPSr.  I'm sure I could be doing this a better way.

I like lots of logs in case I can't find it and there might be a clue in the logs.  So, I never delete my database.  I add the latest PQ to it and immediately run this macro with Caches not updated in the last 7 days checked  If you haven't included your found caches in your PQ they will not be in the latest PQ and thus will be removed and so will any caches that have been archived since the last time you ran the PQ.  If your finds are included in the PQ like, green-eyed's case, you can check the Found Caches box and it will remove them.  I do not check the Backup  database before deleting box because I've never had it go wrong, but you may feel different.

This requires you do macros, but if you download and install one and use it you will see how easy using macros is.  Writing them is an entirely different and more complicated thing but using them is easy. 

Edited by Thot, 19 September 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#46 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

i have the new PQ ran and waiting in my email.  if i've got a chance after tonight's ABC event, i'll clear out the garmin, load the PQ into GSAK and see how it goes from there. 

before i do that, quick question to the more experience GSAK people:  should i load this new PQ straight into my default database like i usually do, or start a new database?  i want to make sure i get just this PQ first and not all the caches around me that i've currently got on the garmin.

Posted Image

#47 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

Why not start a new database just for this PQ.  You can always delete it.  And you can always download the PQ from gc.com into any other database at any time (for 6 or 7 days or something).  So no harm in doing that.  Eliminates export errors that way for you.

Posted Image

#48 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

Why not start a new database just for this PQ.  You can always delete it.  And you can always download the PQ from gc.com into any other database at any time (for 6 or 7 days or something).  So no harm in doing that.  Eliminates export errors that way for you.

sounds good to me.  that's what i was wondering if i should try.  should help me figure out what's going on with the garmin that way.

Posted Image

#49 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

You can also download the PQ's directly from within GSAK straight into any database you want, dont have to wait on the email, etc. I sometimes use a temp database to download my PQ's into so I can then go clean them up (remove caches with to many DNF's, mark nano caches, weed out caches I dont look for and things you cant filter out in the PQ itself.

I generally use 4 databases: 1 for founds, 1 temp, 1 archive and my main one (default) where I store my active caches. I dont have to as it can all be done in one DB and use filters (views) to filter out stuff I am not currently chasing.

I then use an Oregon / Montana macro from the GSAK macro library which allows me to further manage the actual GPX file I load on my varying GPS's.

Posted Image

#50 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

I pretty much hand load all my gpx files into my thingamjigger and then run out the door with a machete.  :angel:

• TexasWriter and GASTX like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#51 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

I pretty much hand load all my gpx files into my thingamjigger and then run out the door with a machete.  :angel:

I just look on the map on the computer at where the hide is supposed to be and run out the door with a machete....and a Berty tube for a throwdown if I can't find it. :D

• Baytown Bert likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#52 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

I call that "seeding the GZ".

TXGA SETX Representative

#53 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

I just look on the map on the computer at where the hide is supposed to be and run out the door with a machete....and a Berty tube for a throwdown if I can't find it. :D

That is a DNNF. Did not not find
Posted Image

#54 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

I only use my Droid when I don't have a cache in my GPSr and have both C:geo and the paid App from GC.com on the phone. Maybe I am missing something here, but why load a PQ for the phone when the information is already there when on location? I guess if I had changed the coords on a puzzle would be one reason. Like GE said, you could post a text document to Google Drive of all the puzzle coords and access it with ease.

The only reason I occasionally keep a pq on my phone is to cover when I dont have good cell service otherwise you are correct.

I don't like how the GC apps and any app that uses Live API limit the initial return of nearby's to some ridiculously low number like 20 at a time.  That is hardly any way to plan on what to go after.  So, I download numerous PQs and dump them into Geosphere (for iPhone only), and have all of that data at my finger tips.  Geosphere limits showing you only 8000 caches at a time, but I can usually make do with that amount. :smiley6600:

Like yesterday we are driving back from my company picnic and my co-pilot (my son) is just roaming the map and has me occasionally pull over for a cache.  If he was limited to 20 at a time, we'd already be past the exits by the time that data loads.  But being prepared (we are scouts) with tons of static data, we had a nice trip home.

To each his/her own.

Posted Image

#55 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

You can also download the PQ's directly from within GSAK straight into any database you want, dont have to wait on the email, etc. I sometimes use a temp database to download my PQ's into so I can then go clean them up (remove caches with to many DNF's, mark nano caches, weed out caches I dont look for and things you cant filter out in the PQ itself.

I generally use 4 databases: 1 for founds, 1 temp, 1 archive and my main one (default) where I store my active caches. I dont have to as it can all be done in one DB and use filters (views) to filter out stuff I am not currently chasing.

I then use an Oregon / Montana macro from the GSAK macro library which allows me to further manage the actual GPX file I load on my varying GPS's.

I've tried maintaining separate DBs, but keep coming back to merge them all together into one and using filters to see what I want (mainly because some macros won't work on multiple databases at the same time).  If one hasn't delved into Filters (and then saving them for future use), then it's time to.  It's an invaluable investment.

GE - if you don't know, you can double click on the colored numbers at the bottom of GSAK screen and only show that type (found, unfound, unavailable, yours).  It is an immediate way to filter only those.  So, you could double click on Unfound (white) and then go to GPS->Send Waypoiints.  It will only send what is currently filtered.

Don't know the particulars about clearing the data on that model, but you would want to do that first.

Posted Image

#56 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

GE - if you don't know, you can double click on the colored numbers at the bottom of GSAK screen and only show that type (found, unfound, unavailable, yours).  It is an immediate way to filter only those.  So, you could double click on Unfound (white) and then go to GPS->Send Waypoiints.  It will only send what is currently filtered.

Don't know the particulars about clearing the data on that model, but you would want to do that first.

i was messing with the filters this weekend.  had cleared the garmin completely, ran a new PQ and database for the kirby area and loaded it up.  then it rained and i didn't go into houston.  i did load up some more of my sunday weekly PQ for the clear lake area and used the garmin some yesterday.  of course, it filled up again, but i was trying to select a few caches only and that didn't work with my upload.

if i select ones from the default database, how can i load those only to the GPS without doing a separate database?  i thought if i had selected those particular ones, then it would only send those when i did GPS->send waypoints, but it tried to load absolutely everything.

Posted Image

#57 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

User Flags.  The column with the little man above it is actually a check box.  So you can manually click those and then use Search -> User Flags Set (F8) to show only those items.  Then load GPS from there.  Also helpful for this task is all the selections under the adjacent menu item "User Flags".

Posted Image

#58 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

User Flags.  The column with the little man above it is actually a check box.  So you can manually click those and then use Search -> User Flags Set (F8) to show only those items.  Then load GPS from there.  Also helpful for this task is all the selections under the adjacent menu item "User Flags".

As a bonus for those of us using Geosphere, User Flags get imported as Highlighted and becomes yet another item to filter for on the road.  I use this to flag Highly Favorited caches or other caches that meet challenge criteria.  So when I hit the road, I check those first.  Not sure which Android app would support that same function.  

Posted Image

#59 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:47 AM

thanks!! i had the check boxes checked, but didn't know about setting the user flags.  i knew there was something i was missing when it loaded everything else with it.

Posted Image

#60 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

I used to do that but after a zillion typos which resulted in me searching the wrong areas I rarely do that anymore.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users