73 replies to this topic

#21 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:50 AM

cachestacker gave me the tip on changing the coordinates on the GC.com page last night.  (thank you!!) i wasn't sure that would not be seen by everyone else, so i had never tried that part before last night.  so...when i get the puzzles solved again, they're all going there and instantly updated to GSAK, garmin, and phone. 

plan on playing with GSAK and the multiple databases some more this weekend.  i do cache in katy and around houston usually at least once a month before the shoulder surgery when visiting my family.  now that i'm cleared to drive freeways again, i'll be heading that way soon. 

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#22 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:52 AM

I only use my Droid when I don't have a cache in my GPSr and have both C:geo and the paid App from GC.com on the phone. Maybe I am missing something here, but why load a PQ for the phone when the information is already there when on location? I guess if I had changed the coords on a puzzle would be one reason. Like GE said, you could post a text document to Google Drive of all the puzzle coords and access it with ease.

i've never loaded a PQ to my phone.  i've done offline lists for areas ahead of time, like when i made a trip this spring to san antonio or when i go camping with scouts.  that's what is missing...my offline lists, but i also had lists for my puzzles with the waypoints.  that worked well enough, so i never needed a PQ to clog up the phone.

Posted Image

#23 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

I have the Garmin 60C.  I am still learning that...and GSAK.  Whatever I'm doing is filling up my waypoint database every time with everything I've found and deleted, etc.in.

I'm not sure what you're "deleting."  Like someone said, you have to delete all the previous caches (found and not found) from your 60C manually before adding a new set. Otherwise they just keep accumulating until you can't add anymore.  I no longer have mine so I trying to do this from memory but it goes something like this.

• Press the Find button
  • Select the Geochches or Waypoints button where your caches are listed and press Enter
  • When the list of caches appers press the Menu button
  • Cursor down to erase
  • Press enter
  • Say Yes I want to delete them all

If you are deleting them from GSAK and they are coming back, your PQ isn't set right.  Click the thumbnail below to see screen capture.

Attached Files

Edited by Thot, 19 September 2013 - 06:54 AM.

#24 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

that's how i delete from the 60c and somehow, they keep popping up.  when i've run the PQs on GC.com, i click those options as well.  that's part of why i can't figure out why they keep coming back on my 60c when i load info to it.

i may just need the previous owner to tell me what he did to confuse the snot out of me.

Posted Image

#25 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:09 AM

when i've run the PQs on GC.com, i click those options as well.  that's part of why i can't figure out why they keep coming back on my 60c when i load info to it.

So, after you load a new PQ into GSAK are the previously found caches listed in GSAK?  If they aren't listed and that's your only database, then the problem has to be with the GPSr.   If they're listed in the GSAK database then something has to be wrong with the PQ.

Edited by Thot, 19 September 2013 - 07:12 AM.

#26 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

I may be wrong, but I have GSAK set up to erase whatever is on my GPSr when it reloads the D-base to it. This way, I only get whatever is in the new D-base.

TXGA SETX Representative

#27 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

when i've run the PQs on GC.com, i click those options as well.  that's part of why i can't figure out why they keep coming back on my 60c when i load info to it.

So, after you load a new PQ into GSAK are the previously found caches listed in GSAK?  If they aren't listed and that's your only database, then the problem has to be with the GPSr.   If they're listed in the GSAK database then something has to be wrong with the PQ.

they show up in yellow - as found - on GSAK.  i'll run a new PQ this evening or tomorrow for a different side of town and see if i can get it to work right. 

Posted Image

#28 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

I may be wrong, but I have GSAK set up to erase whatever is on my GPSr when it reloads the D-base to it. This way, I only get whatever is in the new D-base.

i'm at the office, so i can't look at mine right now.... but how do you do that?  i don't remember that being an option.  could be that i haven't looked under that section yet.  there's a lot i haven't done with GSAK  yet.

Posted Image

#29 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

I put the solved puzzles into my 60Cx as different icons - zoos, parks, buildings, restaurants, anything relevant to the puzzle.

Before I load a GSAK update to the gps I delete all geocaches only, which leaves all the other icons/puzzles in place.

Move the GSAK cache update over to the gps and you are good to go.

That said, I'm using the Groundspeak iPhone app more and more to replace the need for PQs and GSAK.

• green-eyed likes this

#30 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

That said, I'm using the Groundspeak iPhone app more and more to replace the need for PQs and GSAK.

i'm still pretty partial to my app on my phone.  i have descriptions, logs, satellite map and all... some days, my phone GPS is more accurate than the garmin.  but i am starting to use the garmin more when i've planned accordingly and make sure the area i'm going for is actually loaded in the garmin. 

Posted Image

#31 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

Are you filtering out your found caches in GSAK beore uploading your PQ?  If not, everything in the DB is getting uploaded.

Also, have you just gone in via the Explore route and looked at the files under the varoius Garmin folders on the device?  Before I upload my PQ, I go delete everything I don't need.  I normally keep PQ on mine for solved STS puzzles and CLAPS caches for maintenance convenience.  Then my normal PQ.  But sometimes when new caches come out I'll one-off download to the GPS from gc.com.  So while a new PQ may not have that cache if I don't delete the one-off download it will still be there filling up space and show as found on my GPS unless I clear it.

I also wipe unneeded waypoints, tracks, etc.

Posted Image

#32 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:17 AM

Are you filtering out your found caches in GSAK beore uploading your PQ?  If not, everything in the DB is getting uploaded.

Also, have you just gone in via the Explore route and looked at the files under the varoius Garmin folders on the device?  Before I upload my PQ, I go delete everything I don't need.  I normally keep PQ on mine for solved STS puzzles and CLAPS caches for maintenance convenience.  Then my normal PQ.  But sometimes when new caches come out I'll one-off download to the GPS from gc.com.  So while a new PQ may not have that cache if I don't delete the one-off download it will still be there filling up space and show as found on my GPS unless I clear it.

I also wipe unneeded waypoints, tracks, etc.

i think it's filtering out my found caches in GSAK first.  it's not loading my finds or my owned caches on the 60c, except the waypoints under a different folder.

guess i'm going to delete everything completely and start fresh this weekend.

Posted Image

#33 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

On the Garmon Oregon 650, I am going to load everything out to about 60 miles. LOL

TXGA SETX Representative

#34 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

You can't do that with the 60C unit.  You have to delete them manually using the unit itself.

• green-eyed likes this

#35 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

You can't do that with the 60C unit.  You have to delete them manually using the unit itself.

Dang it man... That sounds almost analog!

TXGA SETX Representative

#36 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:59 AM

Sounds like a GSAK event is called for. It is a great tool.
Posted Image

#37 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

If they're listed in the GSAK database then something has to be wrong with the PQ.

they show up in yellow - as found - on GSAK.  i'll run a new PQ this evening or tomorrow for a different side of town and see if i can get it to work right. 

Found caches are marked with yellow by GSAK.  The fact that you're getting found caches after you have deleted them means something's wrong with the PQ.

I will post a procedure that lets you delete the found caches, but this is just dealing with the symptom not the cause.

• green-eyed likes this

#38 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

thanks thot!!  i appreciate your help! 

i'm usually very good with software.  gadgets...sometimes, depending on what the toy is. 

Posted Image

#39 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

gadgets...sometimes, depending on what the toy is. 

:notme:

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

#40 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

On the Garmon Oregon 650, I am going to load everything out to about 60 miles. LOL

So that's what 25 - 30 caches? You could do that few with a map and compass!

• Baytown Bert likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users