73 replies to this topic

#1 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

if you use your phone to either cache solely or as backup or as a place to store your offline lists after you solve puzzles and stuff during the workday... DO NOT SAVE TO PHONE ONLY!!  save it to your SD card.  make sure your settings are such, because if you have a malfunctioning phone and have to get a new one, the offline lists don't travel with your SIM card and SD card to your new phone.

I am one very, very unhappy lady.  :tickedoff:

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#2 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

Sooner or later, it is a Garmin 62 or Oregon.  Just sayin'...

TXGA SETX Representative

#3 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

I have the Garmin 60C.  I am still learning that...and GSAK.  Whatever I'm doing is filling up my waypoint database every time with everything I've found and deleted, etc.

I don't carry my Garmin into my office.  My cell phone is right there on my desk.  Plus, most of the puzzles were solved and entered in my offline lists before I was given the Garmin.

Edited by green-eyed, 18 September 2013 - 06:58 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

I still think the problem with your waypoint database filling up like that is the way you run the PQ.

Next time you run one, make sure you check these boxes

I havent found...I dont own.....is enabled

This might help

#5 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

Look into using an app called Evernote to make your lists. That's what I do. Any notes you make get stored in the cloud so you have access to it on any device that Evernote is installed on (phone, PC, tablet, new phone when your old one crashes). I keep a folder on it for puzzle caches to make notes, post pictures, add links for anything I need. It works great for me.
  • CANINE QUEEN, TexasWriter and green-eyed like this

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#6 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

I still think the problem with your waypoint database filling up like that is the way you run the PQ.

Next time you run one, make sure you check these boxes

I havent found...I dont own.....is enabled

This might help

I do that part already.  Technically, under "find geocaches" on the Garmin, those don't show up.  But under "waypoints" they appear in full force.

Posted Image

#7 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Send a message to KeyResults explaining the problem. He may be able to help.

I never had that problem but then again...Angels watch over fools and idiots:)

#8 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

Look into using an app called Evernote to make your lists. That's what I do. Any notes you make get stored in the cloud so you have access to it on any device that Evernote is installed on (phone, PC, tablet, new phone when your old one crashes). I keep a folder on it for puzzle caches to make notes, post pictures, add links for anything I need. It works great for me.

I use Microsoft OneNote on the Windows phone for the same purpose. It works beautifully. I have all my own series caches in it and they are hyperlinked, notated, final cords for puzzles/multi's, etc. All in the cloud....

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#9 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

not a windows phone.  but I've got, or will again have, google  drive.  I could store it there I guess.  Just really irritating that I just tossed some of my papers from home with the solved puzzles and others at work I don't have anymore.  Still have all the STS scratch papers though.

Posted Image

#10 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

If you are using GSAK to load your 60c and are using the export macro from their library it converts child waypoints in the GPX file created to regular waypoints in the GPS and over time if you dont keep them cleaned out it will finally fill up and you cant add anymore.

If this is the case you can check the box to not include those additional WP's during the GPX build portion of the macro. I havent used my 60csx in a couple of years so I am going from memory. If I remember correctly you have to manually delete those WP from the 60 as the upload wont overwrite it.

I dont store founds on my GPS after a days caching. Once I find them and post the logs I move them from my default GSAK database to a Found database. Then I refresh the caches in GSAK via GC.com and create a new GPX file for he GPS.

I keep my android phone loaded with a few choice PQ's as a back up when I happen to be out without a GPS (almost never). But GSAK is my processing medium and back those files up to dropbox and a large raid array on my PC and a thumbdrive ( I am a bit of a backup nut). My phone is never used to store anything of any value

Posted Image

#11 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

LOL... I just don't do puzzles!

• Team Four Paw, TexasWriter and amberita13 like this
Posted Image

#12 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

Looks like it's time for me to figure out different databases in GSAK.  I've had to manually clear the waypoints already - especially before Special Tools this past Sunday.  I currently only have one database in GSAK and it doesn't even include all of my finds.  That part alone was starting to drive me nuts.  But I know it's pulling from the default database when I load my 60c.

Had I just kept all my scratch papers...I'd plug them all back in.  Working on different storage solutions now so I have backup.

Posted Image

#13 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

LOL... I just don't do puzzles!

I've just identified another person for my list of potential petitioners to have puzzles removed from geocaching... :D

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#14 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

powerdog02 is working on solving one of them.  he already knows what to do because he saw me do it before, but he's attempting them.  PLUS, he helped solve mustard devil's combo on Friday.  I fed him the numbers and he figured it out right before me.  He's 10...soon to be 11.

Posted Image

#15 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:56 AM

Let's just say "a dedicated handheld GPS"  

• Baytown Bert likes this

#16 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:06 AM

I only use my Droid when I don't have a cache in my GPSr and have both C:geo and the paid App from GC.com on the phone. Maybe I am missing something here, but why load a PQ for the phone when the information is already there when on location? I guess if I had changed the coords on a puzzle would be one reason. Like GE said, you could post a text document to Google Drive of all the puzzle coords and access it with ease.

TXGA SETX Representative

#17 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:07 AM

Let's just say "a dedicated handheld GPS"

Sooner or later it's Copenhagen. LOL

TXGA SETX Representative

#18 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:27 AM

I only use my Droid when I don't have a cache in my GPSr and have both C:geo and the paid App from GC.com on the phone. Maybe I am missing something here, but why load a PQ for the phone when the information is already there when on location? I guess if I had changed the coords on a puzzle would be one reason. Like GE said, you could post a text document to Google Drive of all the puzzle coords and access it with ease.

The only reason I occasionally keep a pq on my phone is to cover when I dont have good cell service otherwise you are correct.
Posted Image

#19 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

The only reason I occasionally keep a pq on my phone is to cover when I dont have good cell service otherwise you are correct.

Would it save on battery, too, as you're not pulling data over the cell service?

Posted Image

#20 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:58 AM

A few things that you can also do to prevent losing those puzzle solutions are: 1)in GSAK click on the puzzle cache that you've solved  with your right mouse button and chose the corrected coordinates option and put in your corrected coordinates. The next time you bring in your pocket query into your GSAK database, it will not overwrite your solved puzzle coordinates  2) on geocaching.com on the cache page you can put the solved coordinates in the personal cache notes.  We do this and also put a short explanation as to how we solved it so if another cacher needs help solving a puzzle months or years down the road, we can remember (maybe) how we solved it.  3) also in geocaching.com you can use the little pencil to the right of the posted coordinates and go ahead and correct the coordinates.  Doing this will make the puzzle cache show up in the correct place on a map on your phone.

I know Mr. Muddy Buddies has a separate database on GSAK just for his puzzle caches that he's solved anywhere.  Multiple GSAK databases can be helpful if you do much caching outside of your normal caching area.  

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users