Photo

Texas Challenge 2014 - What can we improve on?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 JuleeD

JuleeD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

I enjoyed it last year (for the most part) so I'm in again!

#22 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,156 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

There have been 2 "urban" Texas Challenges.   The first was in and around Fredericksburg for the non-competitive event, and the caches were real GC.com caches.  The second was last year in Port Aransas.

For the most part, the "challenge" caches have been temporary and retrieved after the competition is over.

The competitive part of the challenge is a timed event where regional teams compete to see who gets the most points.  Recently, points are awarded based upon the D/T rating of the cache.  The top 80% of the scorecards of each regional team are averaged for the team score.  Sometimes FTF points are awarded on top of the average.  The challenge caches are not always physical finds.  Other types may be "activity" caches or "moving" caches.  ( for instance, at the TC2007, the teams got points for finding a certain beagle and giving him a kiss.  The beagle and his owner were roving the park) 

this might be a dumb question, but are the challenge caches put out just for the challenge, or are they regular full-time caches?

Edited by Mr Muddy Buddy, 11 September 2013 - 06:55 PM.

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

#23 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

I'm in!!!  Hunting - of course!

Posted Image

#24 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

If I'm breathing, there's no place I'd rather be than workin' for the Golden Ammo Can

What can we improve on?

2. We prolly need to budget for the right amount of electric power for the loading station this next year! 

3. Assign an experienced challenge participant to 1st time attendees or newbies BEFORE the event. Maybe have a true dry run before event day so they know exactly what to expect and can possibly connect with a group ahead of the event.

1. Win baby.

Edited by KeyResults, 11 September 2013 - 07:49 PM.

• Jhawk! likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#25 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

3. Assign an experienced challenge participant to 1st time attendees or newbies BEFORE the event. Maybe have a true dry run before event day so they know exactly what to expect and can possibly connect with a group ahead of the event.

I like that idea.  I haven't a clue as to what to expect and would like to help out somehow if I can make it.  That weekend should be one that I have powerdog02 with me unless he will be camping with scouts, so he'd be upset if I went and he didn't.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#26 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

I'm in for the discussion.   For those posting, wait until you are on the private boards for suggestions.  

Posted Image

#27 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

For those posting, wait until you are on the private boards for suggestions

Good point. I just saw the subject question and fired away...

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#28 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

I know my caching abilities are far more novice than a lot of people around here, but I can drive like nobody's business! 

I'm thinking strategic "chinese fire drill" style antics meets "parents drop the kiddos off" responsible determination...and you bet I'm fiercely competitive!

I've also lived in Corpus Christi TX & Nacogdoches TX so I'm very familiar with both the South Texas Plains, Piney Woods roads, & their surrounding areas.

(because I missed the location in the previous posts??

ooh..and what would I be driving? I drive a little gas-sipper car that pales in comparison to the toys I've seen on these threads...)

Edited by amberita13, 11 September 2013 - 09:03 PM.

• TexasWriter and rozowski5 like this

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#29 Benttandem

Benttandem

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:05 AM

Ms Bentttandem and I should be there to hunt. Our daughter and family will probably join us. They live in Austin but have always hunted with us.

#30 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:06 AM

I'm in for discussion having participated in last years event. I haven't looked far enough ahead to see if I'm in for 2014 (but heck yeah I want to be there...)
Posted Image

#31 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

This year the Challenge is going to be in Bastrop.  The location changes every year, as each region of Texas takes their turn to host the event.  It was last hosted by SouthEast Texas - our region - in 2011.  This year it is Cen-Tex (Central TX)'s turn. 

I started a "How Can We Improve" post in the Texas Challenge Hunt Team - Private Area.  Please be patient as Team Four Paw turns on the permissions to view the board.  Those of you who had access last year should still have access.  Post ideas there!

Last year we were disappointed with our loss, and I think we have the capability to win again.  Our team has won the Challenge three times since this annual event started: in 2003, 2010, and 2012.  We have the best team, but we just have to figure out how to fix the bugs in the system this year.

Everyone has a role they could play.  We need support people, drivers, navigators, hunters, puzzle solvers, technical support, etc.  Even if you don't want to play the game, it is still a MEGA event in Texas that is fun to come to and just hang out with people.

come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#32 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

I will put it on my calendar.  Right now, I can't think of anything preventing my coming out again.  Had a good time last year and got a feel of what goes on.  Will help out if I can.  (Plus I can get some more counties. :D  ;) )

There is no adventure without risk.

#33 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

Wahoo. count me in. I would like to hunt this year.. but will still have the camper as command center if that is what is needed. 

#34 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

Sure.  I will try to make it for the third time in a row.  I can still lift heavy things too.

TXGA SETX Representative

#35 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

I take it this is a weekend deal? If so, count me in! I'm a newbie to the Challenge, but am up for anything.... God knows us Europeans can drive  :coolsmiley: !

• Jhawk! likes this

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#36 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

I just passed through Bastrop and it looks like the fire was put out yesterday.

TXGA SETX Representative

#37 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

I just passed through Bastrop and it looks like the fire was put out yesterday.

Yes, it going to take a long time to recover.  My mom lives in Bastrop so I've driven that way a lot.  It makes me sad to see the devastation every time.

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#38 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

Count the kianlos in for hunting.

• TexasWriter likes this

#39 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

I'm in for the discussion.   For those posting, wait until you are on the private boards for suggestions.  

So is there a discussion happening there?  I replied here before but don't have access yet.

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#40 stirfrie2005

stirfrie2005

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:12 AM

I'll be hunting again! I can't wait! And I'll hopefully be bringing along a couple newbies. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users