• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

We were at Brazos Bend last Monday and wanted to place a cache there to celebrate our 1,000 find.  Our first find was at the park so it seemed fitting.  I talked to the ranger at the front and he said just fill out a form at the Nature Center and done.  Since we wanted to have coordinates for the form we placed the cache, recorded to coords, and then went to the NC.  Where a lady said no way, don't place caches here, go get it and get it out of here, you must ask first blah blah.  Then she gave me a card for David Heinicke to ask permission for the cache.  I emailed him that day.  I have called him twice since then.  No response. 

Now, I did not remove my cache because I am not good at being bossed around.  I have it in my queue and ready to fire.  Am I awful if I just publish now and see what happens?   :stirpot:

I don't use these smiles much but I feel :knuppel2: :knuppel2: and :disappoint:  a :disappoint:nd I am not even sure what to do with :fist-pump: :fist-pump:alien goodbye? Oh I just read it.  Fist pump.  Nope, don't feel that way - ever. 

R2

#2 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

Don't publish it. Keep patiently negotiating.

TXGA SETX Representative

#3 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

I'm not sure what would happen but I'm pretty sure nothing good would come from publishing without permission.  They would probably remove it once it was discovered and I would not expect to get any approvals for SP hides in the future.

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#4 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

on the TXGA forum, there's a section for "ask a ranger."  maybe you could get help there as well? 

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,700 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

The TXGA is supposed to be the liason between geocaching and the State Parks, so you might go through them.  There were a whole slew of poorly maintained caches placed in BBSP (with permission) several years ago, so they may be a little more sensitive to it than other parks.  Or you might have just caught the wrong person on the wrong day.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#6 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

They are more sensitive about "Environmental Issues" these days.  When one particular group of caches was published, that the rangers wanted the geocachers to be the ones to make the new "trail" through that part of the park.

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

#7 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

Wait until you receive permission.  It is a necessary part of the game.  If you don't then you will most likely find yourself at odds with the TX SP System.  If you need help let me know but TexasDreamWeaver may be more help as I have never been to BBSP.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,264 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

I suggest working the system so that we as geocachers maintain a good relationship with TXPWD.

Don't pass judgement because of one person.

We've been to a lot of state parks. Some parks have great folks. Others not so much. Gotta take the good with the bad if we want to keep caching in State Parks.

I've met David and he is a real nice guy. Probably very busy. The parks system doesn't get the support from the state they deserve unfortunately.

• Baytown Bert and rozowski5 like this

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#9 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

My husband & I hit a slew of caches at State Parks around, coincidently, International Geocaching Day, & the site went down right in the middle of our fun. Since we didn't get the "official" ones we decided to go up to the headquarters & hopefully they'd at least have a print out & we could use my husband's GPS instead of relying on my phone.

The lady behind the counter said: "Oh no, I don't have a list. We're supposed to tell everyone to just look them up online."

And that was that.

It really blew the air out of my sails but opened my eyes that not everyone may be on the same page with this hobby.

Oh!

And I remember reading quite a few descriptions in caches, in different state parks, that alluded to the hoops they had to jump through in order for them to get permission from the parks. So...I got the impression that's the name of the game... :unsure:

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

They, like us, are still learning.  Some parks are very organized and I suspect they have support from a local geocacher.  Others, not so much.

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

We were actually taught to geocache while camping at the park with the scouts. The rangers taught a class on it and the rest is history. I wonder if the guy teaching the class was David. I should cut him a lot of slack - what was I thinking? It is the parks department and he has more to do than worry about my oogie boogie geocache. But, Oogie is very cute so I hope I get to let him loose and everyone can meet him. Until then I will be more patient and respectful. Thanks for helping me make the right choice.
  • Dhaulaghiri likes this

#12 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,360 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

There is a volunteer ranger that is a geocacher and was placing some caches in the park and being a volunteer he had it a bit easier to get the approvals.  I think he was able to be one of the approvers for the SP caches in the park.  He wasn't haven't to go through what CachinSpree had to go through for the Endurance Series of finding the spot, then getting the approval and then going and actually placing...so making two trips for all of his caches. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users