green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:58 PM

Hitchcock.  I mean it.

• Dhaulaghiri likes this
the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#22 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:29 AM

Ahh.... the sweet sound of the county mossy fogger just went by. 

Edited by TravelingGeek, 07 September 2013 - 12:29 AM.

Posted Image

#23 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

I just ordered two of these units:  Schawbel Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Unit.  The danged mossies can absolutely ruin a good time.

512DxMb5RRL._SY300_.jpg

Edited by Baytown Bert, 07 September 2013 - 05:21 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#24 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:38 AM

My wife and son both use one of these. They seem to work pretty well. Not sure how well they work when you are moving around a lot.
Posted Image

#25 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:48 AM

My longtime buddy tells me he won't go into the woods without one.  I figure what the heck?  I'll spray down and carry one of these on my belt and anything ANYTHING is better than what I've experienced lately.

TXGA SETX Representative

#26 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:18 AM

My longtime buddy tells me he won't go into the woods without one.  I figure what the heck?  I'll spray down and carry one of these on my belt and anything ANYTHING is better than what I've experienced lately.

I'd be curious to hear your feedback on how these units perform, Bert. We went after an FTF last night, and afterward we wanted to chat with another cacher who had arrived a little after us. We couldn't even enjoy a conversation with him for all the dang mossies. And it was more or less an urban hide. Here was his log:

"Co-FTF with TexasWriter & Corndoll. My 1st official Corndoll sighting and it went like this...hi nice to meet you *mosquito bite* slap *mosquito bite* slap, well it was nice meeting you! TFTC it would have been fitting to sign the log with my A+ but the mosquitoes got it all so I just used a pen :)"

• KeyResults likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#27 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

Unless they can kill them off, or I can get something stronger than Deet, I am at the point where I don't want to go into the woods.  I will though, but you can see how bad it is by my statement.  I love the caches in the woods, but yesterday, I had bites on my lips and eyelids.  At one point, I took off my glasses and sprayed my face.  Big mistake.  It burned my skin.  My buddy BBQBob recommended I get pork spring rolls while I was at Green-eyed's cache (that I couldn't find - again) and I started over there and then looked down at my filthy sweat-soaked clothes and decided I looked too bad to enter.  My shirt and shorts were splotched with blood and dirt.  No exaggeration at all.

• bbqbob2 and green-eyed like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#28 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

Can anybody testify how it is out there on the water?

We've got a kayak trip in Clear Lake coming up tomorrow, and I wanna be prepared if I have to.

Btw.: It will be a muggle kayak-trip, but I intend to sneak in one or two caches from the CLAPS series I haven't found yet.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#29 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

The mossies on the loading dock are not bad at all.  Maybe one or two at the dock.  Literally.  Today.  On the water there are no mossies.  Only when you go into the edge to get the cache.  We stopped at 8 - 15 N CLAPS and only had an issue at one point, really (#8).  And it was not the swarm you run into everywhere else, either.

CLAPS is your mossie escape!

If you're doing N CLAPS - see recent logs on 8 and 9.

Posted Image

#30 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

I can vouch for the lack of swarms this morning.  was sooooo nice not to be eaten alive.  only gators, herons and egrets today.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#31 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

I got the most bites at #8 and it was raining then too. I had not sprayed my neck or ears so they got chewed up but not too bad. I tend to attract mossies more than most people. Definitely better on the water than land right now. 

#32 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I was out in Katy today and I didn't even see one of the hated blood-sucking mossies!

Hope tomorrow will be the same.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#33 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

I was out near Dyess Park (Tomball area) and a couple of the subdivisions near there this morning, and I didn't encounter a single mossie. Odd, because where I got chewed up the worst in the last few days was Spring Creek Park, not too far away. Where the clouds of mossies were absolutely ridiculous was at the Fun Off Road series near Clear Lake. Sorry, Kevin....no bad press intended on the great series....just a bad mossie warning for the present time until the suckers diminish.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#34 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

I was out near Dyess Park (Tomball area) and a couple of the subdivisions near there this morning, and I didn't encounter a single mossie. Odd, because where I got chewed up the worst in the last few days was Spring Creek Park, not too far away. Where the clouds of mossies were absolutely ridiculous was at the Fun Off Road series near Clear Lake. Sorry, Kevin....no bad press intended on the great series....just a bad mossie warning for the present time until the suckers diminish.

FOR is a fun series now with the rain, but only if you're in bubble suit given the mossies.  I can't even imagine that area right now.

Posted Image

#35 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

Folks are logging my Goatman series right now and say the mossies are extreme.

TXGA SETX Representative

#36 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

We did the LTB Gleannloch Farms series today.  No mossies to be seen.

It sure was humid!  We were sweating, just standing still while logging the caches.

A great series for your bicycle.  The containers varied in shape, size, and hiding style.  

Wow. I don't think it's been nearly that bad up here on NW side. I guess we just don't taste as good as south east cachers! ;) Seriously, unless something changed this week we've not even sprayed above ankles on LTB Gleannloch Series, for example. Maybe we need a mossie heat map

• TexasWriter likes this
Posted Image

#37 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

GC#?  Oh, heck!  LOL

Edited by Baytown Bert, 07 September 2013 - 07:01 PM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#38 uptrain

uptrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

Pretty awful in Sugar Land and Missouri City. I did see Missouri City fogging on Fifth St. and near Texas Parkway. I went for Hoo are you? about 6 pm today and wasn't bothered at all. Maybe the fogging is working. I wonder how bad it is around Channelview. I'm headed that way tomorrow.

#39 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

I just ordered two of these units:  Schawbel Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Unit.  The danged mossies can absolutely ruin a good time.

512DxMb5RRL._SY300_.jpg

I am interested in one of these units.  Do they zap the mossies while in use?  How is it used?

#40 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:38 PM

YES!!!!  powerdog02 and i literally sprinted a half mile out of the dang woods while searching for GC2M9WF on tuesday.  he was complaining,** i told him to shut his mouth or he'd be eating them and keep moving**.  gave up that route in favor of a slightly less hitchcock-esque scene.

I have said the exact same thing to my kid!!  :tickedoff:

Once, my geoson threw himself on the ground in a horrible fit.  All I had to do was tell him there were ants on the ground and he was back up in not time walking down the trail in no time. O0

• green-eyed likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users