#1 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:53 AM

Last week, we encountered so many mossies in Port Arthur, we had to abandon the search.  This was on "Pleasure Island".  Yesterday, we encountered the same thing in Dickinson over here:  GC3801R

We did 3 of the seven and literally were running for the Jeep as a cloud chased us.  Anyone else seeing this?

TXGA SETX Representative

#2 Rambetta

Rambetta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:00 AM

Same issues while doing maintenance on caches in Channelview.

I just thought they were swarming to my 'overly sweet personality'. But now I wonder ???

#3 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

Yeah, I noticed the same, even on Urban PnGs I'm getting eaten alive....

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#4 Benttandem

Benttandem

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

Yesterday I stepped out my front door and nearly got carried away.  We have had some afternoon showers around but they didn't seem to be anything that would cause these swarms.  The things are really hungry too.  On the other hand I was in the west part of George Bush Park two days ago and spent a lot of time in some heavy bush and wasn't bothered by mosquitos at all.  I got so tired that I sat down and ate an energy bar and nothing bit me (except the thorns).  I am spraying just outside the door before we go out.  Here's hoping the county will get the spraying trucks out. 

#5 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

Yesterday, I got a rural cache in Tomball at a park, an urban one down near Hwy 59 and Buffalo Speedway, and a suburban one in Sugar Land. Major mosquito clouds at all three.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#6 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

YES!!!!  powerdog02 and i literally sprinted a half mile out of the dang woods while searching for GC2M9WF on tuesday.  he was complaining, i told him to shut his mouth or he'd be eating them and keep moving.  gave up that route in favor of a slightly less hitchcock-esque scene.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#7 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,849 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

Mosquitoes on the Texas Gulf Coast in September?  Who ever heard of such a thing!

I did some cache maintenance on one of my Obscure Park Tour micros the other day and got eaten up pretty well, but it was just about dark-thirty at the time...

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#8 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

If they are salt marsh mossies they will chase you and they don't care about DEET.

Edited by SockPuppet, 06 September 2013 - 10:37 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,306 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

By way of Bert's videos I would think the only thing chasing him was his methane cloud...

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#10 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

Does the everpresent cloud attract mossies or kill them? I've heard what it does to downwind cachers...

#11 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

Agree about the Salt Marsh Skeeters...brutal, big, brash, barbaric, uh, ran out of clean unflattering b-words...

As bad as the little boogers are I will take the mossies any day over those darn chiggers! At least you can see the mossies and their effects almost immediately. 

• green-eyed likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#12 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

I went down to Alvin today and everywhere I went along the way, clouds of mossies swarmed me.  I had a base coat of Cedarcide and liberal amounts of OFF and still sustained about 200 bites.  My lips and ears and even my eyes had bumps on them.

• KeyResults likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#13 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

Wow. I don't think it's been nearly that bad up here on NW side. I guess we just don't taste as good as south east cachers! ;) Seriously, unless something changed this week we've not even sprayed above ankles on LTB Gleannloch Series, for example. Maybe we need a mossie heat map
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#14 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

We first experienced this in Port Arthur.  it drove us clean out of the area.  Today, nothing helped and I was attacked in parking lots doing LPC's.  The woods were times 10.  I sat in the Subway in Alvin and watched them bounce off the windows.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 06 September 2013 - 06:43 PM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#15 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

We went out this evening to get Top of the Hill that was near the house and the tiny mosquitoes were swarming everywhere and were getting inside of the car.   We didn't experience this over in George Bush Park this week.  Top of the Hill had water nearby in the retention ponds, so that might have had something to do with it. 

Posted Image

#16 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

Bellaire is also awful. My kids were eaten alive on the playground at school and even in their classrooms. We waiting for it to pass.

#17 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

powerdog02 said the school won't let the kids outside for recess or gym with the mosquitoes. 

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#18 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

Posted: Sep 06, 2013 8:35 PM CST Updated: Sep 06, 2013 8:35 PM CST

By Ned Hibberd, Reporter - bio
HOUSTON (FOX 26) -

As if Houston's heat and humidity weren't enough to keep us indoors -- we are now a city under siege, thanks to a mosquito invasion.

No, it's not your imagination: swarms of salt marsh mosquitoes are moving inland from the coast, where they recently hatched from eggs that were activated by high tide.

"These mosquitoes, when the water comes in, that will stimulate them to hatch and then they'll emerge in the period of several days," explained Dr. Rudy Bueno, director of Harris County Mosquito Control. "And that's what we're seeing right now."

And while salt marsh mosquitoes are definitely annoying, they are not the kind that can infect humans with the dangerous West Nile virus.

In fact, Harris County's testing has detected a distinct decrease in mosquitoes carrying West Nile, compared to last year's tally.

Read more: http://www.myfoxhous...d#ixzz2eASlshd4

TXGA SETX Representative

#19 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

We went out this evening to get Top of the Hill that was near the house and the tiny mosquitoes were swarming everywhere and were getting inside of the car.   We didn't experience this over in George Bush Park this week.  Top of the Hill had water nearby in the retention ponds, so that might have had something to do with it. 

I was out there the night it popped, and there wasn't a single mosquito then, and there was water in the retention pond...

#20 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

Bellaire is also awful. My kids were eaten alive on the playground at school and even in their classrooms. We waiting for it to pass.

Your new Smooch cache was one of the ones where I was eaten alive last night. I can attest to that area being under siege...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users