53 replies to this topic

#1 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

To avoid threadjacking the LSLF list thread, I thought I'd start a discussion topic about ideas behind doing that.  It will be fun to see others perspectives and watch people :stirpot:  a little in the process, and I welcome dissenting opinions as it's good for a discussion.

Personally, I don't like the idea of throwing down containers for missing caches of missing cachers.  Unless there is some really compelling reason to keep a missing cache going I feel it should be archived in due course -- or hopefully much sooner with lots of "needs archived," notes to PR, contacting the uninvolved CO and getting them to archive it or adopt it or whatever.

Too many times it's not replaced by someone who knew what/where it was to begin with.  And in a missing CO situation a throwdown just perpetuates the issue and keeps areas closed when something new could be done by someone who IS in the game.  When it disappears later on, with a still-missing CO who never maintained it when they dropped out of the game, we're back to square one.

I am seriously doubtful many of the missing ones are that key for anyone's metrics based upon placement date.  If they can't be adopted out, I say work towards archive.  If it's a cool puzzle, recreate it and republish it if it's worth keeping once it's archived.

I agree we need to work to clearing the list.  But I just think replacing caches for missing COs is not the answer.  And I also think it's ok to take a DNF.  Avoiding that like the plague seems to be all to common these days.  :stirpot:   We complain when newbies use the wrong logs (needs maint, needs archive) and I'm glad GC.com made that a topic of their weekly e-mail recently.  But not sure the throwdown practice isn't teaching them another practice some might feel is otherwise unacceptable.  Especially for a newbie.

What do you all think?  Anyone got other ideas on any of this? 

As far as getting PR to archive - has anyone ever tried e-mailing Crow T. Robot rather than PR since CTR seems to be the adjunct archiver? 

Has anyone really gotten a few people to pile on some of the ones known to be gone with known MIA CO to do Needs Archive logs and then ping PR or CTR? 

• ohl hockey guy, Kirbydox and green-eyed like this
Posted Image

#2 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

I'd rather clear out the MIA owner caches so we can put out some new ones than put out a throwdown.  while I'm appreciative of some of the replaced PNG caches in my current little driving radius this summer... I also want that space opened up for myself or someone to put out a new one. 

I know the puzzles could really be out there still.  You have to figure out the stinkin' puzzle first...and I'm trying to solve many/most of the ones around me so I can do the month of mysteries challenge.  I'm a few short still.  Some of the Clear Lake puzzles on the longest since found make me want to find them and not solve them at the same time.  If the CO of those puzzles are still active, can we get either the CO or someone who has found it go out and check to make sure they're still there and post a note?  That would prompt myself and I'm sure others to solve and search instead of looking at the last found date and thinking "skip it."

• Kirbydox likes this
the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#3 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

I like it.  I like your logic.

TXGA SETX Representative

#4 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

If a cache owner is "gone" then the cache should be archived not thrown down.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

This thread should be in the LSLF thread....Cachestacker quit doing that..... :uglystupid2:

I agree

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

I've emailed Crow T Robot about some caches that needed archiving and got no response or action. On the other end of the spectrum, I've emailed Wis Kid (reviewer from Wisconsin who is disabling around Houston) and got a VERY positive response. I've been pretty much sticking to only replacing caches for active CO's (e.g. ParkerPlus this weekend), as I agree that it just delays the inevitable to do it for MIA CO's. I will usually contact the CO first.... unless it's Cachestacker :-)

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#7 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

I have to agree with most of the above. In my beginning days I never logged a DNF, because I was embarassed to admit it couldn't find even a simple 1/1 or 2/2 cache.

Nowadays however I try to ALWAYS log a DNF, AND also include my reason for DNFing. Sometimes it's not the cache or the CO at fault, but just the person going in to look for it.

I like the idea of getting some joint effort going for LSLF-caches, but I wouldn't want to go and get at it alone, I vote team efforts!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#8 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

You are making me think! UGH!  We have replaced missing CO caches thinking we were doing our community a favor.  And some instances we might have been, for instance Uncle Lumpy Takes You to Chapel is in a pretty popular spot and had been missing for over a year.  We also replaced

GC1DJE5 but no one has found it since.  We looked yesterday and it is still there but no matter - still not really that helpful of a throwdown.  I do think the process needs to work as intended.  Archive all caches that do not have an active CO and are missing.  If I could rely on the process I would not feel the NEED to replace missing caches.  And I am compulsive about ones close to my house. I think it makes my neighborhood look bad if we don't maintain our caches!  Bellaire in the House!! 

All that said, I am happy for the discussion and will stop replacing caches for missing COs and I will start using the ignore button if that is the general consensus of the best way to play the game. 

• Kirbydox, TexasWriter and Dhaulaghiri like this

#9 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

I have emailed Prime Reviewer in the past and made a case for archiving caches (often based on the number of DNF's and the fact that the CO hasn't been on geocaching.com in over a year) and in some cases the caches were disabled and then archived, but in other cases not.

#10 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

I have emailed Prime Reviewer in the past and made a case for archiving caches (often based on the number of DNF's and the fact that the CO hasn't been on geocaching.com in over a year) and in some cases the caches were disabled and then archived, but in other cases not.

Same here. I got PR to work with me on a couple of occasions, but the majority of the time he is either unresponsive or seems to be off his meds and is an abrasive, unapproachable jerk person.

#11 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

In general I don't think putting out a throw down is a good idea.

In some cases people have put them out when the original cache is still there.  I know of one case were some well meaning cachers with lots of experience put out a throw down because they thought the original was gone--it was just difficult and still there. :stirpot:   I know of another case where I found two caches at one location--the original (I think) up in a tree, and the throw down on the ground at the base of the tree.  I could go on, but you get the point.

I think it is better for a group with a lot of experience to log a bunch of DNF and needs maintenance followed by a note to a reviewer to see if you can get the cache disabled.

Oh--one of those on the list, we were the last to find.  It was a trek in, but we didn't have any trouble finding it once we got there. :angel:

#12 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

Don't get me wrong -- I'm never against replacing if the CO is contacted and has approved.  This happens often and is usually very appreciated by the CO who simply can't get out there, but can describe exactly where the hide is/was and how it was hidden, etc.  This is not about that

Edited by cachestacker, 02 September 2013 - 08:29 PM.

Posted Image

#13 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

You are making me think! UGH!  We have replaced missing CO caches thinking we were doing our community a favor.  

I do think the process needs to work as intended.  Archive all caches that do not have an active CO and are missing.  If I could rely on the process I would not feel the NEED to replace missing caches.   

Exactly the reason I replaced numerous ones in my earlier days of caching. Since then, if I don't know the CO or they haven't logged on recently, I just leave it be. Sometimes I log a NA or NM, but not always.

• rozowski5 likes this

#14 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

You are making me think! UGH!  We have replaced missing CO caches thinking we were doing our community a favor.  And some instances we might have been, for instance Uncle Lumpy Takes You to Chapel is in a pretty popular spot and had been missing for over a year.  We also replaced

GC1DJE5 but no one has found it since.  We looked yesterday and it is still there but no matter - still not really that helpful of a throwdown.  I do think the process needs to work as intended.  Archive all caches that do not have an active CO and are missing.  If I could rely on the process I would not feel the NEED to replace missing caches.  And I am compulsive about ones close to my house. I think it makes my neighborhood look bad if we don't maintain our caches!  Bellaire in the House!! 

All that said, I am happy for the discussion and will stop replacing caches for missing COs and I will start using the ignore button if that is the general consensus of the best way to play the game. 

Compulsive about the ones near your house? Why can't you live near the Medical Center? It makes me shake my head that a ton near my work that aren't associated with the Choo Choo or the Zoo area don't have stellar find histories.  :mellow:

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#15 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

Don't get me wrong -- I'm never against replacing if the CO is contacted and has approved.  This happens often and is usually very appreciated by the CO who simply can't get out there, but can describe exactly where the hide is/was and how it was hidden, etc.  This is not about that

Agreed!

#16 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

If the CO hasn't been active in a year or so, and doesn't respond to e-mails about DNFs, I think a cache should be archived.  The only problem would be geo-litter, but if it is gone, that isn't a problem.

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

#17 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

Texas Writer gave me the tip about directly contacting PR and it still didn't work.  Just sayin.  Extreme times lend to extreme measures.  Let's do this!

going after:

GCTZRC

GC1Q4XQ

GC1DRCK

GC3B16F

GC1BYTF

GC1BYTF

GCXZ5X

GC2620H

GC30V5N

I sent a note to Wis Kid with the list.  fingers crossed! 

Edited by rozowski5, 03 September 2013 - 07:41 AM.

#18 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:59 AM

Largely agree with sentiment and procedure of not perpetuating an absentee CO. Needs to be dealt with by either adoption or archive unless a prior arrangement made for expat or other excused absences. On going after em: Some caches "not found in a long time" are that way cuz they're crap. Coords off, ridiculous placements, hostile area, bad D/T rating, or just generally not fun. This "natural selection" and lack of activity, in these cases, may be a sign that a hide just sucks and should go away since even the crazy folks aren't interested. When any of my hides go a year w/o a smiley I think it's time for a refresh or elimination.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#19 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

And some are not because they're missing, but are crazy difficult.  ie - East Texas' Hardest Mystery Cache. 

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

#20 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

The whole idea of the list was to get folks to try for those crazy difficult and extreme terrain caches.  If this effort with the reviewers to purge the abandoned caches doesn't work, I'll just use my powers of eminent domain and remove them from the list.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users