57 replies to this topic

#1 pindroppers74

pindroppers74

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

Just found our last cache to complete the August streak and wanted to thank everyone for all the extra effort of maintenance and placement of new containers.
Posted Image

#2 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

Syd and I finished early this morning and integrated a maintenance run as well.  Couple of smilies, couple of fixes.  Now - She's at her record streak and I'm at 32.  My record is a whopping 37.  We'll see how much longer this goes, but thinking it's not going to be much.  Syd almost gave out yesterday.  I would like to break my old record though.  Maybe get to 38 days.  :buck2:

Posted Image

#3 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

I'm trying to figure out where Ian and I are going for our last day, but the mosquitos are already out in full force and I still feel like crapola from this week's cold.  Everything I had thought we'd do today, we're not going to do.  so......I'll come up with something.

This is  my longest streak - last was 14 days.  Ian didn't quite make the full month when he was with his muggle other parent for a week.  We'll probably pick up some tomorrow and Monday and after that, I don't know.  I just know I'm not cut out for the 365 streak after this.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#4 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

Still got to get mine today and then will get another tomorrow because I have a caching trip planned for Monday. Then it might end.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

Finished up strong with a couple this morning. Groundspeak had a good idea with this one
  • ATMA likes this

#6 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

bbqbob2 - all of our finds today were your caches.  unintended that way...had 2 DNFs as well, but we were very appreciative of good hides we could find quickly with the heat and biting bugs. 

Posted Image

#7 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

We got ours!  Thanks to Cull and Thot!  We had a few hours to kill while our kids were in a class by Rice so we grabbed some nice med center caches to complete August. I agree, Groundspeak got a great spark going just when we needed it most - August.  We are still streaking and will keep it up until it kills us or we get smart enough to give it up.  

• green-eyed likes this

#8 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

We got ours!  Thanks to Cull and Thot!  We had a few hours to kill while our kids were in a class by Rice so we grabbed some nice med center caches to complete August. I agree, Groundspeak got a great spark going just when we needed it most - August.  We are still streaking and will keep it up until it kills us or we get smart enough to give it up.  

Oh! If you're at Rice, stop by for this gem. It's one of those great off-the-beaten track with a great view that feels like you discovered a secret garden or something  :)

• rozowski5 likes this
img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#9 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

The August Wrap-Up was a great ending to the streak,(I'm just relieved we had enough nearby to keep us going!); I'm sure if I had off on Monday we'd make a mad run for our daily max since I'm itching for another series... ^_^

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#10 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

We finished our August streak and it made me realize that I doubt we will ever consciously attempt a streak again.  Maybe it would have been different if we actually lived in Houston instead of Huntsville, but to get our daily find we had to drive at least to Conroe.

I'm not sure what the average temperature was when we were getting most of our finds, but they were generally late in the day while the sun was still up, so it must have been in the 90's.

I don't think groundspeak got it right.  Having said that, our daily find grid is filled in for August--our first month that is completely filled!

• green-eyed likes this

#11 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

I know that half of my after work finds had temps hovering between 98 and 103.  While August has no holidays, August is a miserable time for anyone who lives in the sub-tropics of Houston...heat, mosquitoes, drought, hurricanes, PI, ants, etc.

Posted Image

#12 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

I guess it's because August typically means beautiful weather... in Seattle. 

It's funny how 80% of the country is clamoring for summer to get here and we're holed up in the AC waiting for winter.

• ATMA, TravelingGeek, Dhaulaghiri and 1 other like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#13 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,359 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

We made it through all of August and finished it up doing part of the CLAPS series.  I think we're going back to getting caches when we want to get them rather than fitting caches into a schedule.  It did get us back out caching when we probably would have just stayed indoors in the air conditioning being lazy.

Posted Image

#14 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

BFF 2katz and I collected our 30th souvie yesterday, but today we decided enough is enough, to just scrap it, and call the whole thing off.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#15 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

Yeah, right.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#16 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

I need two more days to qualify for the 31 day challenge.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 01 September 2013 - 02:29 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#17 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

Speaking of heat in Houston, my first call home from Afghanistan was to tell my folks I finally found a place hotter than Houston in August.

#18 Nebulus703

Nebulus703

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationHighlands/Baytown

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

I got my 31 days done! It took a lot of planning to make it all work but in the end, I prevailed! I even hid a cache this month! Now I think I'll take a break from finding and start hiding.

#19 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

I guess it's because August typically means beautiful weather... in Seattle. 

It's funny how 80% of the country is clamoring for summer to get here and we're holed up in the AC waiting for winter.

Like my father always says.  In Texas we hibernate in the Summer.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 jrj8541

jrj8541

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:05 AM

Speaking of heat in Houston, my first call home from Afghanistan was to tell my folks I finally found a place hotter than Houston in August.

Exactly. I grew up in Saudi Arabia. It can be worse folks! Consider yourself tremendously blessed to live in the greatest country ever created by man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users