• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jrj8541

jrj8541

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

So a wise man once said to find 50 caches before you hide a geocache. It wasn't really spoken to me personally as words of wisdom as much as it was an angry "you kids get off my lawn" complaint about someone else that I took to heart... Anyways, I happen to have found 50 and I think I am ready to build and hide my first cache.  I want it to be something helpful for beginners that teaches them some basics and common hides. I have a limited knowledge but I think I could pass on what little I know and, more importantly, pass on the passion for caching. This starter series was something we were looking for that wasn't readily available in our area. Also, I want the cache not to suck as I have found some stinkers in my 50 that really were nothing but a micro/nano hidden in some random spot that I drove 15 minutes to get to.

This series won't get the family out in the bush but will be something that is meant as a training tool.  The location won't be the purpose and it won't get them into nature but hopefully will spark a passion and get them excited as they all pile out of the minivan and go through a quick 30 minute series. Think GC101 boot camp that packs as much info about geocaching into a 30 minutes as possible. 

So I need some ideas from the group as to what type of hides you think are appropriate and the types of containers I should use. If you could list 5-10 containers that make up 80% of your finds what would they be?

Should I do a multicache or 5-10 separate caches with a bonus at the end with the swag gift and something that points them to this community and others?

#2 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Just remember in doing this that what to you is "nothing but a micro/nano hidden in some random spot" may be gold to someone else.  Someone who needs a find for the day close by.  Or a fix when they have not gotten out in a while.  Or maybe they aren't as able to get out in the brush for a hike for whatever reason.  Even LPCs have a purpose and place, and sometimes welcomed (i.e., quick one to nab a new county along the way).  And sometimes it's just so danged hot all you want are some easy ones.  And some people don't like the woods.

Now, a crappy, unmaintained cache is different.  But, understanding the above will show you that each hide has a purpose and place.  And nobody will like every type of hide.  So my first piece of advice is to hide the type YOU like.  And I would also recommend hiding several individuals first rather than starting with a mutli.  And most important hiding advice - be sure to check your coords on a map.  Not the cappy map gc.com gives you where you have to click the button -- but on Google maps.  Make sure it's close.  If not, go double check before you submit.

With 50+ finds you've probably seen most of the ordinary containers and seen what works better than others.  If you have specifics, post some and we'll criticize, whine, and complain accordingly.  ;)

• pindroppers74, Nebulus703, green-eyed and 1 other like this
Posted Image

#3 jrj8541

jrj8541

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

Just remember in doing this that what to you is "nothing but a micro/nano hidden in some random spot" may be gold to someone else.  Someone who needs a find for the day close by.  Or a fix when they have not gotten out in a while.  Or maybe they aren't as able to get out in the brush for a hike for whatever reason.  Even LPCs have a purpose and place, and sometimes welcomed (i.e., quick one to nab a new county along the way).  And sometimes it's just so danged hot all you want are some easy ones.  And some people don't like the woods.

Now, a crappy, unmaintained cache is different.  But, understanding the above will show you that each hide has a purpose and place.  And nobody will like every type of hide.  So my first piece of advice is to hide the type YOU like.  And I would also recommend hiding several individuals first rather than starting with a mutli.  And most important hiding advice - be sure to check your coords on a map.  Not the cappy map gc.com gives you where you have to click the button -- but on Google maps.  Make sure it's close.  If not, go double check before you submit.

With 50+ finds you've probably seen most of the ordinary containers and seen what works better than others.  If you have specifics, post some and we'll criticize, whine, and complain accordingly.  ;)

http://youtu.be/fAb5a0yi5P8

I wasn't sure how some of the caches were place.  I think this video explains a good bit.

#4 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

i agree with cachestacker - place cache types you like to find and be sure to maintain it.  i have a variety of containers on my few hides, but i have either a story to tell and get you seeing places all around town (these are usually micros for me since they're urban placements) and some fun ones.  none are meant to be so difficult or buried into the woods.  yet.  i have ideas for those...

and times like now with this august streak, i am grateful for those LPCs and easy PNGs.  that and after i had extensive shoulder surgery this summer, all i could cache were the PNGs and ones not too far off the beaten path.  or any that required two hands above my head.  or reaching under stuff.  remember that we have local geocachers in wheelchairs who need those micros in easy to get to places.  you can make them difficult, but low terrain.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#5 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

Honestly, I wasn't ready to place my first cache after reaching about 750 finds!

I was enjoying the game too much and others often got in ahead of me at the good spots.

As both Greeneyed and Cachestacker said: One of the most important things is to put something out there YOU feel is worthwhile.

I love finding creative/awesome/different containers, but sometimes that's just not in the cards and the best way to go is Soda-tube/Bison tube/Pill bottle.

One thing's for sure: Make sure the coordinates are accurate (I've been struggling with that a little, the GC.com map indeed IS TERRIBLE!) and make sure that the container you put out there is durable enough!

Also, my first hide was a mystery, and although it worked out well it was quite a challenge to get the lay-out of the page right. Start out with a couple of traditionals, to get a feel for the way GC.com works, and then progress to other types of hides.

Good Luck!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#6 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

Here's my 2 cents. Find a place where there are no caches and place ONE (three if it is really out of the way). They have to be a minumum of 529 feet away from an existing cache. It's as easy to maintain 3 as 1 and folks will be more inclined to drive way out there for 3 than 1.

Hide 1 only and see how it does. Many people think there will be a steady stream of people coming to look for it and when this doesn't happen, they soon lose interest. I started out putting out a variety of containers with camo that rapidly failed. I found the best and cheapest container is the good old pill bottle. You can wrap it with duct tape and spray paint it. Add a monfiliment tether and a simple paper log without a baggy and it holds up very good unless the lid gets messed up. The soda tube is bullet proof, unless again somenone doesn't tighten the lid.

My Berty tubes should fall into the same category as the soda tube - dependant on folks screwing the lid on and I'll give you how many ever you need. Send me a private message.

The more elaborate the camo, the harder it is to keep it looking like it was when you made it, so expect more than the normal amount of maintenance on that. The coords are very important, but veteran cachers will alert you and possibly post more accurate coords - make sure you know how to correct them and do it quickly and you will okay.

The biggest issue is long term maintenance and that means repairing or archiving and not abandoning them. This is THE BANE of geocaching. To me, it soils your reputation to not maintain or archive your caches and gawd knows I wouldn't want that and you shouldn't either. If at any time you can't continue, you can adopt them out or archive them and there is no shame in that.
  • pindroppers74 and Dhaulaghiri like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#7 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

I'm willing to bet that there are plenty of veterans out her who will be happy to help you with your first placement - as in go with you.  Real time ideas, 2nd set of eyes on taking coords, tips for doing that, placement potential, etc.  Just post your area and whether you want an assist on it.

Posted Image

#8 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

What Bert said.  There IS responsibility involved with being a cache owner.  Before you place a series of 10 or 20 caches, please check with your inner self and make sure you are going to stay with the game.  We have enough abandoned caches in the area placed by "flash-in-the-pan" cachers who quickly burned out on the activity and just left them to rot.

Not that this describes you at all: :peace:

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#9 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

At the same time, don't overthink it.  I must have checked my coords 5 times before I submitted it.  I let it sit there.  And fretted about it.  It showed correctly on gc.com maps, GE, Google maps, etc. 

Putting out caches IS a fun part of the game.  It may also change the way you log once you see how others log --- as you'll quickly see what you like in a log you get on your cache and what you don't like getting. 

Posted Image

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

My least favorite comment on a log of my caches in order:

2. TFTC

3. Just another smiley.  That's all.

My favorite?

1.  Baytown Bert, I want to have your baby.  :angel:

• Dhaulaghiri and green-eyed like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

My least favorite comment on a log of my caches in order:

2. TFTC

i'm trying to get the kid to write more than this... every now and then, he writes a little more.  but not much.  he loves reading big logs on other people's caches though.

• Baytown Bert likes this
the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#12 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

Ranking up there with BB's favorites includes:

:)

Found

Nice!

Posted Image

#13 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

What part of town are your considering for your geocache hide?

For instance, the Katy area, including George Bush Park is contaminated  full of puzzle caches.  You would have to solve all of those puzzles, otherwise risk the chance of your hide being in a spot already claimed.

Posted Image

#14 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

Someone commented on my husbands PNG, that has significant value to him, that the coordinates were right on. I never considered going online & doing it.

When we placed it we stood directly near it & I took a screen picture of my welcome screen of my Geocaching App that states the coordinates +/-15 ft, (press the big main circle button & the "on" right top button on your iPhone if you have one at the same time).

If you plan on having the coordinates "right on", it works for us! :)

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#15 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:32 AM

simple paper log without a baggy 

O0  O0  O0

For micros, paper in a breathable container will far outlast anything in a zip lock that holds in the moisture (rain and humidity).

Scientifically proven by HC and field confirmed by me (and many others).   For bigger containers and real log books where pages can stick together is a different story perhaps.  But for micros,... let it breath.

BB likes pill bottles.  I tend toward key holders.  I deliberately replaced all my logs without baggies on my Sit N Stroll series to see if this held up.  It did!  They only really problem is ink pens that run.  I cache with a permanent ink pen that doesn't run.  If you don't yous should stick to a pencil... their "ink" never runs. 

Posted Image

#16 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:35 AM

I've got a few containers similar to a Berty Tube™ that I haven't placed yet.  Bag it or let it breath?

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#17 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

If they are fairly water tight, let it breath. Almost everything I own is naked inside the container, including me. Note: My Berty Tube name is now trademarked?

Edited by Baytown Bert, 27 August 2013 - 10:02 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#18 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

My Berty Tube name is now trademarked?

It ought to be.  I smell a business opportunity!  

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#19 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Bert - you should be pitching to your firm that "your company" recycles these and charge them for eco-disposal.  Then sell them on ebay for your non-local caching buddies.  Cash in on both sides to supply Tha Choppa with gas for future caching adventures.

• amberita13 likes this
Posted Image

#20 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

I thought of that, but I would rather spread joy to my friends.
  • pindroppers74 and Dhaulaghiri like this

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users