12 replies to this topic

#1 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

I went to Fry's to look at a low priced laptop. It had Windows 8 and it drove me crazy. I might actually have to buy an overpriced Apple instead. Ugh. The good news is the CEO will retire in 1 year so Bing it on.

Edited by SockPuppet, 24 August 2013 - 03:27 PM.

Posted Image

#2 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

if you purchase from fry's, they can uninstall windows 8 and install an older version for you before you leave.  we keep doing that with our office computers.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#3 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

I bought a cheap laptop from Frys just before my trip to Seattle. Dont like windows 8. Want to step back and give it 5 center of mass with my springfield :idiot2:

#4 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

They missed it by a mile on Win 8 IMO.  I heard they are offering a patch to add some of the old recognizable desktop stuff.

TXGA SETX Representative

#5 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:24 AM

I also got a new laptop with Win8.  I'm struggling with it, but since it is a convertable/tablet I know Win8 has way better touch controls than previous OSs.

GSAK runs fine on it.  It took me a while to figure out how to increase the font size in GSAK and I see I can also increase the row height (haven't yet) so that will help in touch mode.

I know there was a thread in the past about using Box or Google Docs (now called Drive) for GSAK data folders (consensus bad idea) or GPX files (not so bad of an idea.).   Has anyone tried the same with SkyDrive?

• KeyResults likes this
Posted Image

#6 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

This thing will make Win8 almost like Win7.  It lets you jump past the Charms that aren't charming and use the desktop pretty much like before and it's free.

Microsoft got so much flack over it, later this year Microsoft is coming out with Windows 8.1 which will let you get around the Charms screen. 

Best Win8 tip, if you get somewhere you can't figure out how to get out of, press the Windows key.

Every new version of Windows has issues that are annoying until you get used to them, but I don't think I would ever have come to an accomodation with the Charms.  After installing the above app I'm reasonably happy with 8. 

Edited by Thot, 26 August 2013 - 07:46 AM.

#7 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

I did the same thing and have win8 looking like XP now. Works great.
Posted Image

#8 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,297 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

I've been using 8.1preview on my machine at home. It's not the kickback everyone is expecting. It's still Win8 and still difficult to use.
We got some Win8 tablets at work for Sales. One was the MS Surface Pro and the other a Dell knock-off. After spending my day configuring them for Sales I was ready to go home and fall on a sword. I don't think I've hated technology that much in a long time.

I had more fun moving jumpers around on a SB16 soundcard and making it work under DOS/Win31...
  • KeyResults likes this

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#9 jrj8541

jrj8541

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

I've been using 8.1preview on my machine at home. It's not the kickback everyone is expecting. It's still Win8 and still difficult to use.
We got some Win8 tablets at work for Sales. One was the MS Surface Pro and the other a Dell knock-off. After spending my day configuring them for Sales I was ready to go home and fall on a sword. I don't think I've hated technology that much in a long time.

I had more fun moving jumpers around on a SB16 soundcard and making it work under DOS/Win31...

I'm with you on this.  Everyone seems to be clamoring for 8.1 and it's really just more of the same.

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

Dang it man!

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

I don't think I've hated technology that much in a long time.I had more fun moving jumpers around on a SB16 soundcard and making it work under DOS/Win31...

More fun resolving IRQ or DMA conflicts, even?
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#12 jrj8541

jrj8541

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

I don't think I've hated technology that much in a long time.I had more fun moving jumpers around on a SB16 soundcard and making it work under DOS/Win31...

More fun resolving IRQ or DMA conflicts, even?

Those were awful days.  Let's not talk about them.

#13 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

My new desktop has Win8 and it's kind of a pain -- especially since my laptop and work PC are both still Win 7.  I found this article very helpful early on: http://www.pcworld.c...pc-forever.html

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users