62 replies to this topic

#21 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

We have several caches that are quite a hike to get to, so I cringe when I see the notes saying we need to go check it.  It's possible that we do, but a DNF would be sufficient.  Cachers shouldn't have the expectation that we are going to just keep going to check everytime that they can't find it in the middle of the summer for the really long hikes.   I think that we are pretty good at trying to maintain our caches, but we don't want to spend all of our free time chasing single DNFs of newbies..

Which ones are those so I can go ahead and write a big fat DNF and CO needs to go check on these! :stirpot:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

micros are good for some things.  like urban areas.  can't hide an ammo can very well in a shopping or museum area.  and it's nice to be able to pick them up easily while you're out shopping or doing touristy things or with family, etc.  gets you a smiley and you don't have to get full of chigger bites doing it.  or in my case, i can stay dressed from work and go caching, but i have been known to be in the dirt and woods in a dress.

I get the stealth aspect of the micro but the problem is that it complicates the discovery aspect, which makes the person searching look even more suspicious.  You know the cache I was referring to so I felt crazy shady searching all over the fence line for that one.  You can only tie your cowboys boots so many times before people start to wonder.

funny enough, i did stoop down to "tie" my shoe and found it on the first try (while i was still a newbie).  the person who was with me that day actually tied my shoe for me while i signed the log and replaced it.  helped it was early on a saturday morning before most people were out and about.

This thread can turn into a whole 'nother conversation; as in: "how many times can you "tie your shoe" and not look too suspicious?" or, better yet, what are your other "completely natural poses in this unnatural search" techniques to fit in in high muggle areas?

All this talk about this is reminding me of this DNF where close encounters with the kindergarden kind was a call of the territory.

• green-eyed likes this

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#23 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:35 AM

Over the last few days in Baytown, two of my caches and one of HoustonControl's were "hip-shot". One very difficult find was somehow located by a group of 5-6 ("Found it tonight with the cousins!")and placed in plain view for the next finder. I suspected these newbies had been tipped off by the simplicity of their log and went straight out and returned it to its original position.

They are very new. Here's the next time and I will have to repair this (up in a tree) tonight:

"My son's girlfriend found it! But....she didnt know any better and ripped it from string. Sorry! We put it back as much as we could!"

HC's goes like this, and it is by the same crowd: "Thanks for the great find, sorry for using another method to hang from tree. We are a bunch of first timers lol"

Then they double logged one of WTT-B2's caches and credited me for the "good hide" on another that I don't own. Their real total is 10 and out of that, they've moved or damaged 3. I hope they either catch on (cache on) or move on soon. :)
  • green-eyed likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#24 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

At least they're letting you know they mangled the hide and are expressing some remorse. My beef is mainly with the silent "TFTC." cache manglers. Since we have migrated to Premium only, these occur much less frequently now, but traffic also is lower.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#25 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

Can non-premium members with Smartphones see the cache? I heard they could.

TXGA SETX Representative

#26 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Can non-premium members with Smartphones see the cache? I heard they could.

they shouldn't.  I couldn't see premium caches with my phone (primary source of GPS until very recently) until I upgraded.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#27 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

Syd can't see the STS caches on her phone, which are premium.

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#28 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

At least they're letting you know they mangled the hide and are expressing some remorse. My beef is mainly with the silent "TFTC." cache manglers. Since we have migrated to Premium only, these occur much less frequently now, but traffic also is lower.

I know there was another discussion thread awhile back about hiding premium vs. non-premium, and your comments (Kenny) are one of the primary reasons I continue to only hide premium. I get enough "wear and tear" having mine premium. With well over 200 hides out, I would spend my every waking hour doing maintenance if I listed mine non-premium...I'm sure of it.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#29 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

This has not been the case so much so in Baytown, but it may come to that. I really hate to exclude anyone, but rather educate, right green-eyed? I am always pushing to "not hide a cache until you've found 50!", but lately there have been a slew of new cachers with phone Apps and no mean understanding of the game running all over the place.

I also have a lot of caches to maintain (216 and one in the queue), but I don't want to stop hiding them either. I will have to be gentle and write something kind in my OM logs and hope they come back and read them... On top of that, I think I'll teach another geocaching 101 class at either the Eddie V Gray Wetlands Center or BNC this fall.

Back when I really got cranked up, it was my desire to hide one for every 10 I found. Well, I can't do it and won't try, but I am still 1 hid for every 16 found, so that's not too shabby. Imagine the impact if every cacher in the area were 1 for 25? Holy moley! Kirbydox alone would have 1.5 caches for every one Parkerplus has put out. LOL I'm not picking on you KD, just using you as an example.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 24 August 2013 - 11:41 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#30 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

Yes, I get that. The geo-area around you is different than around me. There are plenty of non-premium caches around me to keep the newbie's busy. :)

#31 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

This has not been the case so much so in Baytown, but it may come to that. I really hate to exclude anyone, but rather educate, right green-eyed? I am always pushing to "not hide a cache until you've found 50!", but lately there have been a slew of new cachers with phone Apps and no mean understanding of the game running all over the place.

yes... it is about educating.  I didn't hide my first one until closer to 100 finds and I refused to let the redhead hide one of his own until he had over 50 on his account, even though he had found plenty with me under my name.  some of the newbies near me are driving us a bit batty with container styles, locations, and general silliness.  when the 10 yr old complains...... I think we're all trying to give a gentle push in the right direction using encouragement and helpful suggestions.

Edited by green-eyed, 24 August 2013 - 02:45 PM.

• Dhaulaghiri likes this
the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#32 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

I also have a lot of caches to maintain (216 and one in the queue), but I don't want to stop hiding them either. I will have to be gentle and write something kind in my OM logs and hope they come back and read them... On top of that, I think I'll teach another geocaching 101 class at either the Eddie V Gray Wetlands Center or BNC this fall.

Back when I really got cranked up, it was my desire to hide one for every 10 I found. Well, I can't do it and won't try, but I am still 1 hid for every 16 found, so that's not too shabby. Imagine the impact if every cacher in the area were 1 for 25? Holy moley! Kirbydox alone would have 1.5 caches for every one Parkerplus has put out. LOL I'm not picking on you KD, just using you as an example.

Fire away, Bert, doesn't bother me, I can take it. :P  You are a prince among cachers and do more for the good will of the sport than anyone I know.   O0

While I have over 114 hides, I only have 84 ACTIVE hides. This is what I can handle maintenance on because some are in difficult to maintain areas like GBP and on the CLAPS series or just a good distance away, like Galveston. I would rather cachers put out caches they can keep well maintained than throw out a bunch of quickies and never touch them again despite DNF logs. My belief has always been if you have time to cache, you have time to maintain your caches. 

• OHail, cachestacker, Baytown Bert and 2 others like this

#33 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

I would rather cachers put out caches they can keep well maintained than throw out a bunch of quickies and never touch them again despite DNF logs. My belief has always been if you have time to cache, you have time to maintain your caches. 

Amen to that! I occasionally get logs from people who find my caches but have caches of their own that have lots of NA, NM, and/or mucho DNF logs, and that's the first thing that pops in my mind.

#34 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

And you do an admirable job.  You remind me of Margaret Thatcher.  Ha ha ha!  That's hilarious, but you did say you can take it right?  :angel:

TXGA SETX Representative

#35 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

And you do an admirable job.  You remind me of Margaret Thatcher.  Ha ha ha!  That's hilarious, but you did say you can take it right?  :angel:

LOL, yes I did. Did I forget to tell you that I also belong to the "don't get mad, get even" club? ???   :knuppel2:  Even now I am working on an evil, mean, wicked Baytown Bert cache. >:D  >:D   >:D

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

#36 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

LOL, yes I did. Did I forget to tell you that I also belong to the "don't get mad, get even" club? ???   :knuppel2:  Even now I am working on an evil, mean, wicked Baytown Bert cache. >:D  >:D   >:D

Children, children!! You're just like all the politicians, I say less talking, more caching/hiding!
  • Baytown Bert likes this

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#37 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

Careful, Donna.  I am the holder of the coveted Berty Tube allotment.  I've already had to put Elisa on probation... :angel:

• Dhaulaghiri and green-eyed like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#38 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Careful, Donna.  I am the holder of the coveted Berty Tube allotment.  I've already had to put Elisa on probation... :angel:

Bert, you are The Man and I bow to your superior cache hiding and finding skills and...nevermind. I already have a bagful of Berty tubes.  :teasing:

• Baytown Bert, TexasWriter, CornDoll and 1 other like this

#39 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

Rut ro!  BB just got hammered by the Queen of SETX!  :uglystupid2:  I know when to tuck tail and run!

• Kirbydox and Dhaulaghiri like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#40 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

This is getting interesting.... Where's the popcorn?!?

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users